JRO-AMS Availability for Late August

Old Feb 20, 08, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

JRO-AMS Availability for Late August

I have a friend who needs to go JFK-(AMS)-JRO in the beginning of June and return late August. Expert Flyer is showing plenty of availability in the Q fare class for the outbound in June, but only Y, B, M and K for the late August return.

I don't remember what fare class I was in, but I flew this route last year in July/August on tickets purchased in April or May and was able to get a reasonable fare. Right now, because there's only availability in K for the return, it's very expensive.

Does anyone know if (or think) KLM/NW will open up more inventory in the lower fare classes when we get closer to August? Right now, the flights are all 9s in Y, B, M and K.

Thanks,

Alex
Old Feb 20, 08, 6:15 pm

There are currently quite restrictive capacity restraints placed on the JRO AMS sectors throughout the summer because KLM is contemplating to anyway operate the route with MD11 instead of the planned B772ER. Once those issues are sorted out, it is highly likely that availability will open up. Right now, the cheapest class available to the US is a K fare. To various destinations in Europe, sales are even more restrictive, with only the highest S booking class open for sales.
Old Feb 20, 08, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HB-IWC View Post
There are currently quite restrictive capacity restraints placed on the JRO AMS sectors throughout the summer because KLM is contemplating to anyway operate the route with MD11 instead of the planned B772ER. Once those issues are sorted out, it is highly likely that availability will open up. Right now, the cheapest class available to the US is a K fare. To various destinations in Europe, sales are even more restrictive, with only the highest S booking class open for sales.
Thanks, but I'm a little confused because I thought they usually used the MD11 for this route--at least that's what I was on last year--are they thinking about switching to a 772?
Old Feb 21, 08, 3:35 am

There are currently quite restrictive capacity restraints placed on the JRO AMS sectors throughout the summer because KLM is contemplating to anyway operate the route with MD11 instead of the planned B772ER.
Why is KLM contemplating this? Are the bookings low or does it has something to do with the need of the 772ER on other stations which really need the capacity and/or the range.

If KLM changes the Tanzania triangle to an MD11 operation does this mean that KLM will further push forward the PTV and new WBC refit or will the plane simply be sourced from another station where then the 772ER will be deployed in place.

A bit of topic but how are normally the loads and yield on the Tanzania triangle both in the high as the low season.
Old Feb 21, 08, 3:48 am

A possible swap of aircraft is something that is being looked into. Nothing is certain yet, and for now, the B772ER remains planned for the JRO DAR triangle. As for the loads, the route is doing very well, although loads to and from JRO are mostly much higher than those of DAR. JRO accounts for roughly 75% of the traffic on this triangle. This is a situation similar to that of AMS KRT ADD AMS (majority of passengers to and from ADD) as well as that of AMS ABV KAN AMS (vast majority of passengers for ABV). Two years ago, the B772ER has already been deployed on the JRO DAR triangle, whereas last year KLM needed the equipment for the introduction for the LIM nonstop.
Old Feb 21, 08, 4:03 am

You'd think JRO would be a typical MD11 destination in KLM terms, as it has been packed with leisure travellers when I've been on it. I believe it's the only airline flying directly into JRO from outside Africa, it's very popular with safaritours and Kilimanjaro hikers.
Old Apr 8, 08, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

A possible swap of aircraft is something that is being looked into. Nothing is certain yet, and for now, the B772ER remains planned for the JRO DAR triangle.
You don't have any updates on this, do you? It's still listed as a MD11 for the June outbound (with good availability), and a 777 for the August return (with no availability in the lower fare buckets).

Thanks,

Alex
Old Apr 13, 08, 1:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
They are blocking capacity because they might continue with reducing capacity through summer as bookings are low at the moment.
Old Apr 13, 08, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer View Post
They are blocking capacity because they might continue with reducing capacity through summer as bookings are low at the moment.
They wouldn't sell cheap tickets because they were considering a capacity reduction. Then, because booking are few (big surprise!) they consider reducing capacity further, and continue restricting availability.

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophesy to me.

Johan
Old Apr 18, 08, 5:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Cheap tickets and JRO are things which do not match. Compared to NBO JRO is normally 40% more expensive. There is something in the air with the NBO and JRO/DAR flights only there are not telling. I have tried to get some info from the station managers in DAR & NBO but no luck.

Guesses in TZ and KY are that NBO will go daily only with KQ777 and that JRO will get a evening arriving flight 777 which goes back to AMS direct and that Dar will get a morning flight 5 times a week or direct or via Entebbe or NBO. But all depending on the situation in Kenya and the possible rise of safari fees later this year in Tanzania
Old Apr 18, 08, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer View Post
Cheap tickets and JRO are things which do not match. Compared to NBO JRO is normally 40% more expensive. There is something in the air with the NBO and JRO/DAR flights only there are not telling. I have tried to get some info from the station managers in DAR & NBO but no luck.

Guesses in TZ and KY are that NBO will go daily only with KQ777 and that JRO will get a evening arriving flight 777 which goes back to AMS direct and that Dar will get a morning flight 5 times a week or direct or via Entebbe or NBO. But all depending on the situation in Kenya and the possible rise of safari fees later this year in Tanzania
Changes are definitely in the air for East Africa. AMS NBO is performing very poorly since the beginning of the year and will soon be downgraded to A332 from the planned full pax B744. In the AMS JRO DAR AMS triangle, DAR is not performing as it is supposed to and JRO could likely sustain a terminator flight. All kinds of combinations are being looked at in view of the developing market situation.
Old Apr 28, 08, 12:37 pm

Award seats?

Does KLM ever offer any award seats on the AMS-JRO route? I would likely be using DL miles for a SkyTeam itinerary in January 2009. What are my chances for 2 award seats in business class?
Old Apr 29, 08, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by MisterAviator View Post
Does KLM ever offer any award seats on the AMS-JRO route? I would likely be using DL miles for a SkyTeam itinerary in January 2009. What are my chances for 2 award seats in business class?
I've gotten 2 award seats in business on the KL JRO route (as well as DAR and NBO). You can use the NW site to check availability.
Old Aug 29, 10, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (2.4MM), DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Platinum (Lifetime), Hilton Gold
Anybody have recent experience or advice grabbing 2 award tickets in business class from AMS to JRO. Looking for July 2011. Been calling Delta (where my miles are) and they keep saying there is no availability.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: