Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH-HAM on 737 or 747, which would you rather take?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold; PC RA Plat; UA 1P
IAH-AMS on 737 or 747, which would you rather take?

I was just browsing through flightaware and I couldn't believe that there is a 737 (700 series) flying from IAH-AMS KLM664! And just a few hours earlier, there was a 747 IAH-AMS KLM662. A quick browse of Wikipedia shows the range of the 737-700 at 5500miles, with IAH-AMS around 5000 miles.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM662
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/KLM664

Last edited by ucsf_med; Jan 7, 2008 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Isn't the 737-7 an all business class configuration? If so, it's specialized service, while the 744 is general service.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
I was wondering when KLM started flying IAH-HAM (Hamburg), until I saw EHAM is the 4-letter ICAO code for Amsterdam Schiphol.

Privitair has been operating this all-business class flight for a long time. It is on a Boeing Business Jet version of the 737 and carries only 48 passengers.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
So in my opinion, if all costs were the same (and they won't be) I'd go with the BBJ flight. I have flown a Privatair flight once (why won't my clients always pay for this type of travel?) and it was fantastic!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:49 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
With the KL B747-problems in my mind, I would definately go for the BBJ. Only 48 passengers, all premium-passengers: quick boarding, quick deboaring, likely a very good on-time performance... There's a lot more that could go wrong with the 747.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Definitely go with the BBJ.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:51 pm

Programs: FB, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sefrischling
So in my opinion, if all costs were the same (and they won't be) I'd go with the BBJ flight. I have flown a Privatair flight once (why won't my clients always pay for this type of travel?) and it was fantastic!
Quite often the BBJ is cheaper. I have flown both, the BBJ is a longer flight, about 11 hours going over. Service is good as they had about 19 pax the last time I took it. boarding and going through immigration is a breeze because you arrive after the other euro flights and leave later (from IAH)
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold; PC RA Plat; UA 1P
It just seems like a waste of fuel to deliver only 48 passengers that distance. I assume they can't have much cargo because they need to carry mostly fuel. Although it would be nice to be on such an exclusive flight, I thought most Europeans tend to be more environmentally conscious than us Americans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.