Search

KLM Petroleum Club

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:10 am
Original Poster

KLM Petroleum Club

Just had an email from KLM...:

Dear Mr Aviatrix (yes, MR!!!),

We've noticed that as with many of our Flying Blue Members, we've recently had the pleasure of welcoming you aboard a number of our oil route flights.

This suggests that you may be working in the oil and gas sector. If so, I'd like to personally invite you to join our exclusive Petroleum Club.
Oil routes???? Well, yes - I live near Norwich, so that's where I fly from.

I suspect they probably sent this to half the population of East Anglia (and Scotland, and Norway...). KLM's email servers must have been extremely busy today!

I give them 1 out of 10 for market research. And why MR??? They never got this wrong before...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:06 am

Why am I not surprised...

I fly _to_ an oil-route destination very frequently, and have been for many years, but have never gotten a Petroleum Club email. In fact, I never get any email from KLM other than fare promos. (I do get the same email more than once, and in a variety of languages, with or without Mr., or just Mr/Mrs., with our without last name and/or first name, etc...)

Anyway, what is the advantage of being a Petroleum Club member when one is already FB Gold or Plat, flying mainly through AMS (i.e. not CDG)?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:10 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Oil routes????
I don't know for KLM but Air France's Petroleum Club has a pretty extensive definition of oil routes:

Europe

Denmark: Copenhagen
England: London, Humberside, Norwich, Teeside.
France: Brest, Lorient, Pau
Hungary: Budapest
Italia: Milan
Kazakhstan: Atyrau
Norway: Bergen, Oslo, Stavanger
Russia : Moscow
Scotland: Aberdeen, Edinburgh

Africa

Angola: Luanda
Benin: Cotonou
Cameroon: Douala, Yaoundé
Chad: NŽDjamena
Congo: Brazzaville, Pointe Noire
Ivoiry Coast: Abidjan
Democratic Republic of the Congo: Kinshasa
Equatorial Guinea: Malabo
Gabon: Libreville
Mauritania: Nouakchott
Niger: Niamey
Nigeria: Abuja, Kano, Lagos and Port Harcourt
Qatar: Doha
South Africa: Cap Town, Johannesburg
Togo: Lomé

Asia

China: Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, and Canton
India: Mumbai
Indonesia: Jakarta
Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
Kazakhstan: Almaty
Philippines: Manila
Singapore: Singapore
Taiwan: Taipei
Thailand: Bangkok
Uzbekistan: Tashkent
Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi

America

Argentina: Buenos Aires
Brazil: Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo
Canada: Vancouver
Chile: Santiago
Colombia: Bogota
Ecuador : Quito
United States: Atlanta, Boston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Houston, Miami, New York, and San Francisco
Mexico: Mexico City
Venezuela: Caracas

Middle East

Algeria: Algiers
Bahrain : Bahrain
Egypt: Cairo
Jordan: Amman
Iran: Teheran
Kuwait: Kuwait City
Lebanon: Beirut
Libya: Tripoli
Saudi Arabia: Djeddah, Riyadh and Damman
Syria: Damascus
United Arab Emirates: Abu Dhabi, Dubai
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus
I don't know for KLM but Air France's Petroleum Club has a pretty extensive definition of oil routes:
KLM have this list too.

I took Aviatrix' post to mean that the only relation she could find to her being selected for this exclusive invite, is the fact that her place of residence is on an oil-route. Which does not seem to make sense. You would expect a selection algorithm based on destinations.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:43 am

AMS is a significant oil destination too but is not included in the list for obvious reasons: sending such e-mails to all passengers flying from/to AMS would ruin all attempts to recruit potential Petroleum Club members...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Air France and KLM Petroleum Club are actually the same club. The club originates from Air France.

Is it worth being a member even when FB elite? Well there are some Petroleum Club benefits that you don't get as FB gold or plat. You'll find special Petroleum Club counters and transfer desks in some places. Especially that dedicated transfer desk turned out great one delayed arrival (I missed my connection) at CDG when the lines at other desks were HUGE. Other benefits are rather specific to long stop overs in Paris (they are very good benefits though!). And there are additional discounts with some selected partners.
Further, it may be a bonus point for op-up-abillity or general miracle-performing? (Well ok, I doubt that. Didn't have an op-up in ages)
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: SQ * UA * QF * AF
Falco,
Is Doha, Qatar really listed as an African destination?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Malonda
Falco,
Is Doha, Qatar really listed as an African destination?
DOH! (as Homer would say)
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:48 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I just got this email, too. How weird.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NilsHolgerson
KLM have this list too.

I took Aviatrix' post to mean that the only relation she could find to her being selected for this exclusive invite, is the fact that her place of residence is on an oil-route. Which does not seem to make sense. You would expect a selection algorithm based on destinations.
That was exactly my point.

"(S)he flies from NWI therefore (s)he must be in the oil industry".
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:59 pm

This seems a sure way of diluting the value of the club, and attract lots of new members who are not in the industry.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view
This seems a sure way of diluting the value of the club, and attract lots of new members who are not in the industry.
You can't actually join unless you provide proof of employment... so they're wasting their time on Norwich-area residents!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by view
It would be interesting to know to what extent the e-mail is:
  • an invitation to apply for Petroleum Club membership (through the regular application process and meeting all the usual admission criteria i.e. company in the O&G industry, member flying O&G routes)
  • a bypass admission process with no formal verification that you meet Petroleum Club Terms and Conditions (following the example of some hotel chains granting complimentary mid tier status to elite FFs)
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold / ST Elite Plus, UA MP, BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by NilsHolgerson
Anyway, what is the advantage of being a Petroleum Club member when one is already FB Gold or Plat, flying mainly through AMS (i.e. not CDG)?
Not much of an advantage if you are already elite, but some nice benefits if you are a general member.

From Air France, Petroleum Club Benefits page:

Your Petroleum Club Card gives you access to exclusive services and benefits when you travel with Air France and KLM, especially when you change planes at Paris Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam Schiphol Airports.

A special card

You will have a single, shared card number for both your Petroleum Club and Flying Blue cards.

Advantages at the airport

Priority check-in
- At the main AF oil routes destinations, check-in at special Petroleum Club check-in counters
- At CDG2, within the High Contribution zones (CDG2C Area 3, CDG2F area 11 and CDG2E area 5)
- All around the world: at Air France LŽEspace Affaires check-in counters
- At KLM oil destinations (Kuwait, Damman, Atyrau, Stavanger, Lagos, Malabo and Tripoli) at Business Class check-in counters

- At Schipol at KLM Business Class check-in counters

Priority access to high contribution transfer desks

Specific advantages at Paris-Charles de Gaulle and at Amsterdam-Schipol

For all Petroleum Club members
- Access to the private Petroleum Club lounge at Sofitel Paris-Roissy (showers, refreshments, cable TV, modem connections, international press, rest area)
- At Schipol: Access to KLM Crown lounge

For Petroleum Club members on connection between two AF and/or KL flights
- Less than 3 hours: a refreshment is offered
- Between 3 and 6 hours : a meal is offered in our partner restaurants
- Over 6 hours : a second meal is offered + at CDG only day- use accomodation in a 4-star hotel at the airport
Old Aug 25, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: SQ / CX / KL
Originally Posted by gohoward
Not much of an advantage if you are already elite, but some nice benefits if you are a general member.

From Air France, Petroleum Club Benefits page:

Your Petroleum Club Card gives you access to exclusive services and benefits when you travel with Air France and KLM, especially when you change planes at Paris Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam Schiphol Airports.

A special card

You will have a single, shared card number for both your Petroleum Club and Flying Blue cards.

Advantages at the airport

Priority check-in
- At the main AF oil routes destinations, check-in at special Petroleum Club check-in counters
- At CDG2, within the High Contribution zones (CDG2C Area 3, CDG2F area 11 and CDG2E area 5)
- All around the world: at Air France LŽEspace Affaires check-in counters
- At KLM oil destinations (Kuwait, Damman, Atyrau, Stavanger, Lagos, Malabo and Tripoli) at Business Class check-in counters

- At Schipol at KLM Business Class check-in counters

Priority access to high contribution transfer desks

Specific advantages at Paris-Charles de Gaulle and at Amsterdam-Schipol

For all Petroleum Club members
- Access to the private Petroleum Club lounge at Sofitel Paris-Roissy (showers, refreshments, cable TV, modem connections, international press, rest area)
- At Schipol: Access to KLM Crown lounge

For Petroleum Club members on connection between two AF and/or KL flights
- Less than 3 hours: a refreshment is offered
- Between 3 and 6 hours : a meal is offered in our partner restaurants
- Over 6 hours : a second meal is offered + at CDG only day- use accomodation in a 4-star hotel at the airport
The "refreshments" actually come in the form of vouchers that can be used at any restaurant / bar located within Schiphol (at AMS), which is good as it usually pays for a meal and a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.