Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD11 problems continue, multiple delays again

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I am a frequent flyer who almost always has the 'pleasure' to be on MD11 flights and I consider them my own. My main routes are JRO/DSM and I always seem to be flying MD11 to the states / canada and the ABC islands.

I know of the low dispatch rate due to constant problems but I myself have been spared to any longer delays then 2 hours. I seem to have always bad luck when flying a 777 to CPT or SFO cancellations or very long delays.

But there is a simple reason why KLM is sticking to them. They are great for certain KLM missions and they are paid for or have low lease rates and they are for MD11 terms relatively young. And KLM has stated time over time that they would fly them until the commercial life is over. Also they are investing in them so we are stuck with them at least another 7 to 10 years.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Dynasty Flyer
Just to keep up to date...
I just finished my return trip to CDG this weekend on KL from YUL
My both flights in and out from YUL on MD11 were on time and went very smoothly. I think KLM has solved the problem with MD11...all in all I was happy with the trip. It seems to me that KLM has also added extra service in economy class. I had a bag of smoked almonds and a chocolate ice cream between 2 meal services on AMS-YUL, which I found as a very nice addition.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Apesanteur
I think KLM has solved the problem with MD11...
I wouldn't count on it... last night's MD11 operated Cairo flight was delayed 13 hours because of technical problems.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I Had a Nice Experience on KL 651 on 1 April

The route was AMS-IAD. This was my first longhaul flight on KLM, and also the first time I had ever been on an MD-11 (I had been on a number of DC-10 flights in the 1970s). In fact, it was my first time ever at AMS, an airport I really like. The staff at "Crown Lounge 25" were extremely nice to me (I had started my trip at MAD and had a 2 hour 15 minute layover at AMS).

Our ship was PH-KCK, the "Ingrid Bergman". I was in the last row (20) of the forward section of Y. I estimated that there were maybe 10 empty seats on the entire plane, yet I managed to have the middle seat in my row of 3 empty. This flight was scheduled to depart at 1315, but the captain reported that there was a delay in getting all luggage aboard, and so we did not push back until almost 1335, and wheels were up at 1350 after takeoff from runway 24. The flight took 8 hours 12 minutes to complete, touching down at 1602 EDT on runway 19R. I finished formalities and reached the parking shuttle just after 1630 EDT.

The only turbulence we had was over the North Sea--otherwise, we had a really smooth flight over the Atlantic (from Malin Head, Co. Donegal, Ireland to Goose Bay, Labrador, we flew across 58 deg. 30 mins. latitude, just south of the southern tip of Greenland). I thought the MD 11 was a nice riding flight, and I thought my coach seat was comfortable. I liked the food service (I had the Brazilian chicken with corn risotto and two large snow peas), and particularly liked that the FAs poured hard liquor from full size bottles, rather than miniatures. I even had a nice Cointreau after lunch. FAs weren't bubbly, but they were very professional and worked hard.

Only flaw on the flight was that the computer which operated the air show hadn't been adjusted to show the correct time in North America (daylight savings time had just taken effect in western Europe on March 30).

Good show, KLM. I'll be back.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND76
Our ship was PH-KCK, the "Ingrid Bergman". I was in the last row (20) of the forward section of Y. I estimated that there were maybe 10 empty seats on the entire plane, yet I managed to have the middle seat in my row of 3 empty.
KL651/01APR had 257 passengers on board so there were 35 empty seats on the flight. Today's KL651 to IAD, operated by PH-KCD is almost 3 hours behind schedule because of technical problems.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:57 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Asia Miles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by HB-IWC
Today's KL651 to IAD, operated by PH-KCD is almost 3 hours behind schedule because of technical problems.
I really do not see how this last comment could be interpreted any other than to slag off KLM, especially since it's in response to a very positive experience shared by one of the other forum readers. You are by the way absolutely free to do so, but it would suit you if you would just admit your deep and thorough grudge you hold against this company. Really, this looks and feels as if you were once deeply and personally hurt or offended by 'the swan'....
Old Apr 4, 2008, 2:23 am

How dare HB-IWC disseminate consumer-relevant information on the shortcomings of KLM's service problems! He and other posters should limit themselves to posting surprised pleasures of eating almonds or ice cream.

I for one am thankful for the valuable public service HB-IWC provides.

The MD-11 is an enticing aircraft and the forward mini-cabin in KL business has many years of fond traveling memories for me. But, I think it is important that travelers today be warned that if they are traveling on time-sensitive business that the risks are very high that their travel plans will be - severely - disrupted if they choose to fly KL and the MD-11.

Only when more passengers continue to abandon flying KL will KL feel obliged to manage its fleet in a more customer friendly way. Unfortunately, it has been a very, very long time since KLM could brag about being "The Reliable Airline."
Old Apr 12, 2008, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Please, would people only post good comments about KLM. I'm afraid my feelings will be hurt if I hear anything bad about them.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
How dare HB-IWC disseminate consumer-relevant information on the shortcomings of KLM's service problems! He and other posters should limit themselves to posting surprised pleasures of eating almonds or ice cream.

I for one am thankful for the valuable public service HB-IWC provides.

The MD-11 is an enticing aircraft and the forward mini-cabin in KL business has many years of fond traveling memories for me. But, I think it is important that travelers today be warned that if they are traveling on time-sensitive business that the risks are very high that their travel plans will be - severely - disrupted if they choose to fly KL and the MD-11.

Only when more passengers continue to abandon flying KL will KL feel obliged to manage its fleet in a more customer friendly way. Unfortunately, it has been a very, very long time since KLM could brag about being "The Reliable Airline."
I think this is b*ll. I fly most of my flights on the MD11 as I reach platinum level in 4 months on the JRO/DAR alone and there are problems but never have I not arrived in reasonable time. There are as many problems with the 747 as there are with the MD11 only because the MD11 is the ugly duckling you are picking on them....
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I think this is b*ll. I fly most of my flights on the MD11 as I reach platinum level in 4 months on the JRO/DAR alone and there are problems but never have I not arrived in reasonable time. There are as many problems with the 747 as there are with the MD11 only because the MD11 is the ugly duckling you are picking on them....
Good for you! However, your own personal anecdote does not negate the remaining facts nor the many disruptions experienced by others.

I love the MD11 and am not picking on the aircraft. I am nit picking about KLM's fleet management practices. The maintenance situation of the MD11 is a matter of public record now. For those of us who actually need to get where we need to go on time, choosing the MD11 flown by KLM can be a risky proposition.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA
Now we can all see why just about every other major carrier has dumped the MD-11 onto cargo carriers.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:16 am

I see there are still MD 11 cancelations. Does this mean that the retrofit process has already started? Or have KLM overscheduled the MD11 again?

I Know two planes are already reconfigured, they were by winter this year, but since then have any more planes been reconfigured yet? Or has KLM pushed back the retrofit process even further?

klm312
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klm312
I see there are still MD 11 cancelations. Does this mean that the retrofit process has already started? Or have KLM overscheduled the MD11 again?

I Know two planes are already reconfigured, they were by winter this year, but since then have any more planes been reconfigured yet? Or has KLM pushed back the retrofit process even further?
PH-KCA has been in the hangar for the past 10 days, so presumably, the retrofit is taking place in this aircraft. Cancellations have been necessary since KLM has scheduled all ten MD11s to be used on Fridays and Sundays, which is obviously not possible with one aircraft in heavy maintenance.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat
Ignorance is bliss................... sigh

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
I wonder if this guy is a KLM lurker.................

HB-IWC , keep the info coming as it is really appreciated by most of us!
Great job and thanks again for all the important info about "the reliable airline" performance. ^^
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Frisbee
I wonder if this guy is a KLM lurker.................
No, just live in Amsterdam so KLM is the obvious choice. Perhaps I am always lucky with the MD11. I always pad them on the fuselage when I board them and say very softy... please fly and on time today. Might help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.