KLM overbooking/seats assign questions

Old Mar 12, 04, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

KLM overbooking/seats assign questions

This will be my first KLM flight (I mostly keep to NW metal) and after browsing this thread, not to excited.... but hopefully air service is better.

On 4/1 AMS-ROM shows sold out in Y for most midday flights including the one i'm on. Word is KLM does not permit seat assignments in advance for intra-Europe. What is the earliest I can do this? Before I leave the US segment (ie: sfo-ams)?
My layover once I arrive in AMS is 90 mins.

Is this route often overssold?

That said, i'm a NW Silver. Is there any benefit to seing if KLM will match the status?

Thanks all =)

------------------
"to travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries"
Old Mar 12, 04, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
I flew KLM EWR-AMS-ROM on 2/14.

It's true KLM does not permit advance seat assignments. You can do this at check-in at SFO. They should print all boarding passes and check luggage directly to ROM. You can also check-in online for SFO-AMS (but not ams-rom, if it is "Northwest issued E-Ticket") and then ask a agent at SFO to check-in and assign seats for AMS-ROM.

My flight also showed sold-out and it was true. As NWA Silver Elite you have priority boarding, which is not announced, just show your card.
Old Mar 12, 04, 6:08 pm

Programs: KLM GE (former RW), ACA*E, BAW Blue, HHonors Gold
KLM won't match your status, the rules they have, you're from the US therefore you join WorldPerks, however KLM=NWA on the statuses in effect.
Old Mar 13, 04, 1:06 am
Original Poster

thank you both. I hadn't thought of the priority boarding on KLM also.
Old Mar 14, 04, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, no European carrier offers advance seat assignments in coach within Europe even for elites. A reason often advanced, but which I do not find overly convincing, is that the dividing line between coach and business is not finalised until quite late, depending on loads.
KLM UK (which operated under a one cabin configuration) used to offer advance assignments. I have not flown on them in ages so I do not know whether KLC UK still offers it.
Old Mar 14, 04, 3:17 pm

Post deleted

Last edited by nick.imrie; Oct 26, 10 at 6:26 pm
Old Mar 14, 04, 4:08 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - HHonors Diamond - ICH Platinum Roy. Amb. - SPG Gold - Flying Blue Blue - M&M FT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nick.imrie:
On intra-Europe KLM flights you can only make a request for either an aisle or window seat.</font>
I never pre-book intra-Europe seats but I do book seats on long haul, when booking these seats they always allow me to book specific seats for the UK-AMS-UK legs as well.

So what's the difference!

pmcg

Old Mar 14, 04, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Presumably, your UK-AMS legs are on KLC (ex KLM UK) rather than KLM mainline?
Old Mar 15, 04, 3:48 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - HHonors Diamond - ICH Platinum Roy. Amb. - SPG Gold - Flying Blue Blue - M&M FT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickB:
Presumably, your UK-AMS legs are on KLC (ex KLM UK) rather than KLM mainline?</font>
UK-AMS are of course on KLc but why the difference. It is KLM FD that I call to book seats so if I can book KLc seats why should I not be allowed to book KLM seats!

pmcg

Old Mar 15, 04, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Difference is that KLC has a one-cabin config whereas KLM mainline has a two-cabin config (Europe Select a.k.a. 'the pits' and base/economy a.k.a. 'you're having a laugh').
KLC pre-allocates seats (on UK routes, at least) whereas KLM mainline does not on intra-European.
Old Mar 15, 04, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickB:
KLC pre-allocates seats (on UK routes, at least) whereas KLM mainline does not on intra-European.</font>
I invariably find that I have been automatically pre-allocated a seat in the Select Seating zone when checking in for intra-European flights. If you check in online (available from 30 hours before departure when flying from certain airports) you can change your seat assignment. I've never failed to obtain an emergency exit row seat when checking in online. I was the second person to check in on one occasion, in all other instances I was the first (and no, I do not get out of bed and rush to the PC 29 hours and 59 minutes before departure).

johan

Search this Thread