Search

Automatic seat reservations ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Automatic seat reservations ?

Hi everybody,

just called the FD Helpdesk to get seat assignments for some upcoming flights and surprisingly the agent told me that I already got them...

27C on the 744 and 10C/11 C on the F50, not exactly what I would call "Select Seating"

The funny thing, I never requested those seats, when I booked on travelocity.com !

So what`s up, does the system assign seats automatically, even for flight in 4 weeks ?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:28 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
I think that the system gives you seats based on you FD status.
For example on flights using the F70 and F100 we are usually quite close the the front of the cabin (2).

pmcg
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
For me, at least empirically, F70/F100/737/747/767 flights have been pre-allocated good seats, but F50 is generally left open. If there's no good seats, it's been left open.

However, from my memory of how travelocity works, if you don't enter specific seats, it will request 'a seat for you based on your preferences'. Which won't include premium seats. Which makes it all the stranger for the F50, as I never thought these were available for pre-assignment.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:02 am

Sounds to me like your seats were allocated by your travel agent, not by KLM. Some travel agents (including some online ones) will do this, and if they reserve a seat for you that apparently takes precedence over your Select Seating allocation (i.e., if the system sees that you already have a seat it won't give you one nearer the front). The only thing you can do (and I had to do this for a flight booked through Expedia) is to phone KLM and ask for a different seat. I tend to phone Reservations for this rather than the FD Helpdesk.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:19 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aviatrix:
Sounds to me like your seats were allocated by your travel agent, not by KLM. Some travel agents (including some online ones) will do this, and if they reserve a seat for you that apparently takes precedence over your Select Seating allocation (i.e., if the system sees that you already have a seat it won't give you one nearer the front). The only thing you can do (and I had to do this for a flight booked through Expedia) is to phone KLM and ask for a different seat. I tend to phone Reservations for this rather than the FD Helpdesk.</font>
Almost exactly my experience. If the TA makes no seat reservation then it seems to be 50/50 whether the KLM systems trigger on your elite status and allocate a seat. If the TA does make request a seat then it never seems to be in the select seating area.

KLM Reservations have been a bit uppity about changing my seat - saying that I should really contact my TA. The elite helpdesk has usually been more helpful.

-- Dambus
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:23 am

I've never had any problems at all getting my seat allocation through KLM Reservations here in the UK regardless of who made my booking. Maybe they have different policies in different countries.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 2:24 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aviatrix:
I've never had any problems at all getting my seat allocation through KLM Reservations here in the UK regardless of who made my booking. Maybe they have different policies in different countries. </font>
Could be - I'm usually calling from within the Netherlands on the (+31)20 4747747 number. Is there a direct number for the U.K.?

-- Dambus
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

08705 074 074
Old Feb 4, 2004, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dambus:
If the TA makes no seat reservation then it seems to be 50/50 whether the KLM systems trigger on your elite status and allocate a seat.</font>
For me it works 100% of the time on flights from AMS, but hardly ever on flights to AMS. When, however, I used online check-in a month ago for a flight to AMS, a seat had been allocated in the Select Seating zone.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> If the TA does make request a seat then it never seems to be in the select seating area.</font>
My TA can certainly access the Select Seating zone via her CRS, although not all rows will show up on her screen. Emergency exit row 9 on the 744, for example, is not shown. A phone call to the FD elite help desk usually solves that problem.

johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.