stop-over on award = 2 awards?

Old Dec 25, 2002, 9:03 am
Original Poster

stop-over on award = 2 awards?

I currently have an award booked that takes me through Amsterdam. (Europe to Indian-Subcontinent zones).

I asked the KLM helpdesk about the possibility of a stop-over in AMS for a few days. I was told that stopovers are NOT ALLOWED on awards, and to do this I would need two awards (one intra-europe, one europe to indian-subcontinent).

This seems strange to me. On other airlines where I've gotten awards (Delta, AirFrance, LH, OS) the stop-over was always allowed.

Can anybody verify KLM's policy on this?

Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Ron

[This message has been edited by lewinr (edited 12-25-2002).]
Old Dec 25, 2002, 9:11 am

You are allowed one stopover on a reward ticket. I just did such stopover in AMS on a reward ticket a few weeks ago.
Old Dec 25, 2002, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Is your award one-way or round-trip? I believe you should get one free stopover on a round-trip award, but none on a one-way.
Old Dec 25, 2002, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

round-trip. Hopefully the helpdesk will re-open today and I can investigate this some more...
Old May 12, 2003, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Can anyone clarify for me if one or two or none stopovers are OK on round trip awards, and whether the 'no stopover' rule DEFINITELY applies on 'one-way' awards that cover multi-continents?

I was looking at Sydney - Cape Town award for 180,000 in Biz. That routing would be shortest way -

SYD-KUL-AMS-JNB-CPT and v.v.

EACH way involves about 35-40 hours on planes and airports, so if only '1 stopover' on round trip allowed we will be DARN tired on one of the legs.

United regards a legal "stopover" on It'l flights - paid or award - as a break that exceeds 24 hours. Does KLM?

i.e. if we arrive into AMS from KUL at 7am as now occurs, and the daily flight to CPT is 9pm, UA does not regard that as a stop and allows us to hit an airport Hotel for some sleep. Does KL?

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 05-12-2003).]
Old May 12, 2003, 10:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
Glen, you could go SYD-KUL-CPT direct on MH.

Flights to/from Australia cannot be upgraded because the Asia Pacific part is always operated by MH.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:47 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I have no 100% guarantee but AFAIK there is one allowed stopover per roundtrip and none for oneways.

As for SYD-KUL-CPT: this is an extremely interesting route. Thanx for the tip; that may become part of my next RTW! If only star or 'wings' (don't lough) would offer anything like GRU-CPT...
Old May 12, 2003, 10:54 am

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Actually MH flies KUL-JNB-CPT-EZE. You could then purchase a ticket to fly up to GRU. I think KLM has a codeshare with some airline between GRU & EZE but not sure if you can redeem miles on this route.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
[BUnited regards a legal "stopover" on It'l flights - paid or award - as a break that exceeds 24 hours. Does KLM? [/B]</font>
On an international itinerary any layover &lt;24 hours is NOT considered a stopover. I have used that to my advantage when booking KLM awards so it can be done PROVIDED you get an agent who plays ball.

Old May 12, 2003, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by connex2me:

Glen, you could go SYD-KUL-CPT direct on MH.

</font>
Does KLM give one a CHOICE in these matters? On a Star alliance award one MUST take the "most direct route" on award travel .... which of course from SYD-CPT is SYD-KUL-CPT (which like Ralf I did not know existed!)

HOWEVER we would like to add a few more Delft houses to our large collection, and also Joh being Dutch wants to visit relatives when in AMS. So we REALLY would like the SYD-KUL-AMS-CPT routing if that is allowed. Do others think it will be?

Thanks for info on stopovers B747. With a little "juggling" that allows some sleep stops on 40 hours flights.

What I find amazing is that despite an hour search on FT on old threads I have not seen ONE thread there that has a DEFINITE answer from KLM re stopovers on AWARD travel.

Some say there are none. Some say one a round trip, some say one stop per It'l one way if via several continents. Some here say stops in the same REGION as destination are unlimited if the carrier stops there (i.e. AMS-JNB-CPT would allow a JNB stop each way if required as is same zone on this basis.)

I spent 20 minutes on their KL website looking for info and found none. I found my old award book and read it cover to cover and do not see stopovers are even MENTIONED.

Threy has posted that KLM are "pretty liberal" re stopovers on awards ..... whatever that may mean.

Seems like Russian Roulette depending on which agent you get who books itinerary? And if so, there is every chance someone somewhere may disagree and void/amend the routing along the way.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old May 13, 2003, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
i.e. AMS-JNB-CPT would allow a JNB stop each way if required as is same zone on this basis</font>
Yes, if it weren't for the fact that KLM does not have (fifth freedom) traffic rights between JNB and CPT, so pax boarding in CPT may not even leave the aircraft in JNB, and pax for CPT may not board in JNB.
You will therefore have to settle for codeshare flights on Comair between JNB and CPT.

http://about.klm.com/news/newsitems/...1216124811.asp

"In its 2002/2003 winter schedule, KLM will operate 11 weekly roundtrips between Amsterdam and Johannesburg. Comair will offer connecting flights to and from Durban, Port Elizabeth. and, in addition to the seven weekly flights operated by KLM, also to Cape Town.
Members of KLMs Flying Dutchman loyalty program will be able to earn and burn FD miles on the codesharing flights operated by Comair."

johan
Old May 13, 2003, 4:23 am
Suspended

AFAIK there are no stopovers allowed, if you book a one way award.No stopovers allowed for award travel within the same region ( for example DUS-AMS-LHR would not allow a stopover in AMS )

However B 747 already mentioned that you can stop for 23:59 h on any international itenary....

I was also told that you must fly the most direct route, I don`t know how flexible they are when the most direct route is not available, though.* ( LH M&M )is very flexible with that, but I should not compare LH M&M SEN Service with KLM Plat Elite service.Without showing way too much patriosm that would be blasphemy...

The list of questions is more or less ready to be sent to KLM, so we will get answers to all our questions ( hopefully ) very soon.

Old May 16, 2003, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks threy. When is the closing date for your "list of questions" submission?

Seems like the only way to find out ANYTHING meaningful about FD is via FT.

------------------

~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old May 31, 2003, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Threy .. out of curiosity did your letter of questions ever go in to KLM?
Old Jun 1, 2003, 3:45 am
Suspended

Threy .. out of curiosity did your letter of questions ever go in to KLM?
</font>
Hi, I intend to send the letter early next week ( finished it yesterday ) but will discuss some topics with our moderator Ralf first.Will keep you updated and post the answers as soon as I have mail from KLM !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.