Community
Wiki Posts
Search

stop-over on award = 2 awards?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2003, 4:22 am
Original Member

I thought KL was launching a nonstop service AMS-CPT?
Old Jun 1, 2003, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by leroy11:
I thought KL was launching a nonstop service AMS-CPT?</font>
They are, starting October 26. The downside is that daily flights via JNB will be replaced by only four weekly flights ( Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday). Departure AMS 21.00, arrival CPT 9.25 +1.

johan
Old May 11, 2005, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps

What I find amazing is that despite an hour search on FT on old threads I have not seen ONE thread there that has a DEFINITE answer from KLM re stopovers on AWARD travel.

Some say there are none. Some say one a round trip, some say one stop per It'l one way if via several continents. Some here say stops in the same REGION as destination are unlimited if the carrier stops there (i.e. AMS-JNB-CPT would allow a JNB stop each way if required as is same zone on this basis.)

I spent 20 minutes on their KL website looking for info and found none. I found my old award book and read it cover to cover and do not see stopovers are even MENTIONED.

Threy has posted that KLM are "pretty liberal" re stopovers on awards ..... whatever that may mean.

Seems like Russian Roulette depending on which agent you get who books itinerary? And if so, there is every chance someone somewhere may disagree and void/amend the routing along the way.
Two years on, has anything changed here?

Glen

Old May 11, 2005, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I have always been told by FD agent is that you are entitled to one, and one only, stopover per return award. I was not aware of their being any controversy over this and thought this was accepted as an established rule.
The only additional caveat is that the stop-over must be on a standard routing, viz. stop-over in DTW on an AMS-LAX-AMS award is fine. Stop-over in LAX on an AMS-DFW-AMS award is not.
Old May 11, 2005, 3:25 pm

My experience is that the rules allow one stopover on a return reward but not within a zone. My intended routing was on DL metal, entirely within North America, LAX-ATL [stopover] - MOB [destination] - ATL-LAX. I needed two tickets but wanted to burn my last remaining 47k DL miles for one of them.

Using DL miles that routing was no problem. Using KL miles they wanted to charge me three one way awards; LAX-ATL, ATL-MOB, MOB-ATL-LAX, so I excluded the ATL-MOB sector in lieu of finding some alternative other than an award ticket.
Old May 12, 2005, 6:10 am

Does this mean if I fly from IAH-AMS-ABZ on an award ticket, I can arrive in AMS in the early morning, see the city and spend the night, and leave for ABZ early the next day as long as it is within 23 hrs 59 min?
Old May 12, 2005, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you stay less than 24hrs, this is not regarded as a stopover. The FD desk, however, may play at being a pita by arguing that their system requires them to book the segments separately.
Old May 12, 2005, 6:36 pm

I called this morning to inquire on KLM award seat availability and the Northwest Airlines Agent confirmed I was allowed one stop-over on the outbound flight. Amsterdam is looking pretty nice
Old May 12, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: KLM Platinum; BMI Gold; Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=ozstamps]Two years on, has anything changed here?

Glen

From FAQ Flying Blue/FD Help page- same text for both - on klm.com:

says: I'm planning on making a stopover halfway through my next flight. Is a stopover possible on an award ticket?

One stopover allowed on an award ticket
Yes, you're allowed one stopover per international round-trip award flight. Terms and conditions apply; please contact the FD helpdesk for more information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.