Wiki Posts
Search

BLL-JNB in Y! - Which airline KL/AF/LH?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

BLL-JNB in Y! - Which airline KL/AF/LH?

Hey!

My wife is flying BLL-JNB in July/August! COmpany will only allow Y travel, thus I'm in doubt which airline she shall choose? KL/AF/LH in Economy? NO status on any company! - looking for best seat comfort and the possibility to preassign seat!

Lufthansa is probably the worst selection, thus it is a choice between either KL or AF.

Which is best in Y?

Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Personally I know lots of people who avoid AF at all costs, too many strikes, a terrible hub and terrible ground handling/services...

AMS is a plus for KLM, but their baggage handling is not.LH Y is comparable to KL Y, both still offer a decent product on longhaul flights, the LH seat is not designed to accomodate tall people, the new KLM Y seat is fine, but I still prefer the old dark blue one...

If she considers LH, I would try to route through MUC, IMO the better airport to connect in comparison to FRA...

AMS is perfect for easy connections, I just checked the connection times and the early flight has only a 65 minute layover, a little bit short for the early morning rush...
The late flight out of Billund arrives at Schiphol at 18.15 with a 2.45 hour layover.KL 593 departs at 21.00
Just enough time to do some duty free shopping or look around the airport...

Lots of people prefer the night flight to JNB, but it may depend on her working hours...

The layover on LH would be 4hours+ at FRA ( 18.15 arrival and a 22.20 departure )
And she would have to connect twice to get to MUC to reach JNB from there.

Based on connection times I would vote for the late departure on KLM !!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Threy, Thank you very much for your assistance.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Dont forget that the Y seats in Lufthansa are OK if you are small and are used to a sardine tin enviroment
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BLL-AMS-JNB should be the most logical and practical option. DM and KL codeshare on the route.

If your wife takes the day flight she will be stuck in JNB for the night upon arrival, which may or may not be a disadvantage, depending on her final destination.

On intercontinental KLM flights seat assignments can usually be requested from 90 days out. The better Y seats (the Select Seating zone)are reserved for elite customers, as well passengers with full fare economy tickets.

The morning flight (KL591) is a 74M combi, the evening flight is a 774 full pax. Y class on both aircraft starts with row 9. The Select Seating zone comprises rows 9-18. Emergency exit rows are 9, 21, 35 and (on the 744 only) 51.

johan
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It just occurred to me that SAA from FRA might also be an option. SAA is (or will soon be) operating the route with brand new A340 aircraft.

johan
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:54 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by johan rebel:
It just occurred to me that SAA from FRA might also be an option. SAA is (or will soon be) operating the route with brand new A340 aircraft.

johan
</font>
LH 2940 FRA-JNB ( operated by SAA ) leaves FRA daily at 20.45 with an arrival at JNB at 08.15 ( +1 )
Definitely a better connection in comparison to LH.

Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:21 am

If the company pays it may be a full y fare -which would put her in the select seating zone on kl - on ba you may get wt+ so it is best to fly an airline that has an e+ product if this is the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.