Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
THE END OF KLM

Courtesy of Bart Eccles.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/pa...l&siteid=89488

Mar 6 2003

Dutch airline giant KLM is to be sold off, leaving 30,000 workers facing redundancy.

Both British Airways and Air France are poised to snap up the carrier, which could threaten 600 jobs in the UK.

KLM chief executive Leo van Wijk has told board members that a forthcoming alliance deal will eventually see the end of the KLM brand.

Workers at Heathrow Airport will bear the brunt of any job cuts.

The airline's profits plunged in the wake of September 11. The looming war with Iraq has also hit bookings.

Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Sorry Crisco kid...you just beat me to it !
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering the fact thatthere is no other mention of this anywhere, it would seem to be untrue. We'll see.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, that sounds very strange.
KL has made no secrets of its views that it cannot survive long-term and will have to be integrated in some form or other with one the European majors eventually.
However, there is a huge jump from that to the conclusion reached by the Daily Record.
Selling to a non-Dutch airline would mean, in the present situation, the loss of traffic rights between NL and third countries. This was part of what led to the collapse of the BA-KLM talk a couple of years ago.
Looks like the Daily Record added 2 and 2 and ended up with 199000. But then, this is the Daily Record, isn't it?
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Sold by whom? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Just had a call from KLM's press office saying it's all nonsense. Mind you, they said that about the Buzz sale.

The story first ran in The Mirror but also appeared in the Daily Record which is its sister newspaper in Scotland.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
How serious is this story? Why did it not get any attention in other publication and what does Scotland know about KLM that no one else does?

Until there is further evidence, it all sounds like nonsense as mentioned above.

For some reason, the bigger lie, the more people believe it.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:51 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I see no background on this information. It's strange that no other major news-source is reporting that.

So let's wait and see...

Anybody quickly buying lots of awards to burn his miles yet...?
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:53 am

Nothing in the financial press and the shares haven't moved. Looks like a load of bull to me

Nigel
Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:16 am

I don't usually read the Daily Record but i got the late train back to edinburgh from Glasgow last night and bought the early edition at the station.

I saw the KLM story and was surprised that it didn't turn up anywhere else.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Which paper does Alistair work for ?

Alastair is a KLM elite FF who does take part on this forum, AND is a journalist !

I have read some of his articles, and his are usually MUCH more substantial / factual / accurate than this, but...

Just a wild guess off course !
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Chris...you're not really suggesting ....?or are you ?
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:02 am

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
I wonder if AF or BA will honor our miles? Surely this story is all a bunch of bull ?
Old Mar 6, 2003, 1:49 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Sounds to me like a tabloid interpretation of the 'KLM to join Skyteam/Oneworld' story.

BA and Air France poised to snap up = KLM are looking at joining one of their alliances

End of the KLM brand = KLM will operate fewer flights, as there'll be more codeshares

30000 redundant = More codeshares means fewer staff, and let's pick an arbitrary figure

The 'Heathrow staff will bear the brunt' is barely consistent within the article itself - 600 out of 30000 is the brunt?
Old Mar 6, 2003, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mike turnbull:
Chris...you're not really suggesting ....?or are you ? </font>
No, I was mot really suggesting - I think far too highly of the said gentleman to even seriously contemplate that he would write such a low brow article.

However what I had NOT noticed when I made my previous comment was that the said gentleman had already commented on the article.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
As a freelancer(?) who has written well informed, intelligent articles regarding aviation for the Scotsman this year, i'm confident that Mr Jamieson didn't write this article....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.