Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking off with the fasten seat belt light OFF

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Taking off with the fasten seat belt light OFF

Never had this before but on last nights 17:55 AMS-CPH flight we left the gate, taxied to the runway and took off with the seat belt sign light still switched off.

I'm thinking 3 points on the Captains license!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many passengers took advantage of the opportunity and started walking up and down they aisle during take-off?

Johan
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:20 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Well when I took Air China this summer it was the exact opposite.

Fasten seat belt sign stayed on during 3 hour flight and during an additional 5 hour diversion.

Nobody could care less.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:53 pm

Back in the '80s I remember landing in Budapest on a Malev flight, and during the entire procedure one of the (male) flight attendants was STANDING at the open cockpit door, chatting with the pilots! Mind you, the "fasten seat belt" signs were on and all passengers were indeed sitting.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recall my father telling me about a domestic flight he took in Pakistan in the 60s. The flight was sold out, but they offered to fly him for free on condition that he would not take a seat!

At the age of four or so I was on a very full flight. My dad was seated in the cockpit jumpseat, and I travelled in his lap.

Johan
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA gold, FB emeritus
I once had a domestic AC flight (YYZ-YVR IIRC) land with the fasten seatbelts sign off. After landing, the captain issued the standard "do not stand until the fasten seatbelts sign is off" message, and only then did they notice that the sign isn't on. They turned it on during taxi to the gate.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I recall my father telling me about a domestic flight he took in Pakistan in the 60s. The flight was sold out, but they offered to fly him for free on condition that he would not take a seat!

At the age of four or so I was on a very full flight. My dad was seated in the cockpit jumpseat, and I travelled in his lap.

Johan
In the 1990's Ghana Airways DC9 'bus service' plied Accra-Abidjan-Monrovia-Freetown-Banjul. They had no online reservations so each station was allocated a number of seats to sell whether the aircraft was full or not. This led to a lot of empty seats but in some cases significant overbooking.

No problem! - just put up the armrests and get 4 pax into 3 seats. Seatbelts -paah!

On one occasion I witnessed the DC9 was so full they overflew Abidjan leaving intending pax on the ground and boarded pax with that destination with a day's delay.

The good old days
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by johan rebel
How many passengers took advantage of the opportunity and started walking up and down they aisle during take-off?
Rather surprisingly none but I was thinking of how bad a situation they would be in if someone opened on overhead bin and dropped a bag on someones head causing injury.

The thing that really got me though was that even though the 2 flight crew had missed it why on earth did the cabin crew not notice it and ring the cockpit. Even if they missed it before we were ready for take off what were they doing after taking their seats, surely they should have noticed it then!
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Not exactly the same, but I once had a captain turn off the seat belt sign while the plane was still flying over the runway in full take-off configuration. Even more the F/A then came on the PA and announced (in an noticable surprised voice) that the captain had turned off the fasten seatbelt signs and that we now could move about the cabin. Yet nobody actually took that invitation for some time...;-)! Happened back in 2001 on a early morning KLM-flight FRA-AMS...

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.