Community
Wiki Posts
Search

questions on MH and NW...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2002, 10:29 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
questions on MH and NW...

i have a few questions while planning for my run for the mileage-match promotion...hope the experts here can help me out...

i saw a few great fares ex-TPE to the US on NW and MH, in business class...my questions are:

- NW's is booked in class "Z" while MH's booked in class "D"...can i assume that both would earn me miles and service points with FD ?

- if i am to take NW, and the route would be TPE-NRT-SFO-NRT-TPE...from what i could find on this board...any route USA-Asia on NW is zone N ? so if my address is in UK, i get 7150 pts in business class, each way ? so roundtrip NRT-SFO-NRT alone in business class is enough for the 12000 pts required for 100% mileage match, not to mention the additional points from TPE-NRT and NRT-TPE ?

- if i were to take MH...it would be TPE-KUL-LAX-KUL-TPE...is the service point calculation pretty much similar to that above ? i.e. this trip alone is enough for the 12000 pts ?

- any comments about business class of NW and MH...which one should i pick, e.g. seat comfort, service, food, etc ?

thanks a lot !!
Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:58 am

was on both recently, NW on tpe - narita and
MH on kul - lhr.

the seat pitch in NW business now is fantastic and a universe ahead of MH's (even new) business class.

easy decission, imho.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Have flown both across the Pacific and I would choose MH over NW any day. NW seats, while they have slightly more pitch and recline, are 10+ year old seats (they don't even have winged headrests!) MH has 10" video screens, great food, and super service.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 12:50 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SFO_FT:
NW seats, while they have slightly more pitch and recline, are 10+ year old seats

to SFO_FT:
sorry, but you must have been on an old aircraft then.
the one i flew had brandnew seats and the pitch was not " slightly more" compared to
MH new business class, but about double!
however, i agree on the inflight entertainment and food.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 10:09 pm

Pitch is the distance measured from the front of one seat to the front of a seat in the next row. It is not the "legroom" available from the front of your seat to the back of the seat in front of you. Average pitch on MH=50" and on NW=60"+/-?, or approx. 20% difference.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 7:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Average pitch on MH=50" and on NW=60"+/-?, or approx. 20% difference.</font>
The average on the nw 742 aircraft used for tpe-nrt and also used for the sfo-nrt flight is not 60". The fact is that 60" is the minimum pitch and that the maximum is 70".
The 70" seats (upper deck on a 742) can be requested by elite flyers. My math indicates 40% difference for elites who request the upper deck.
btw if you are on a nw 744 the seats with most pitch are rows 1-4 and also are reserved for elite requests.

[This message has been edited by magic111 (edited 03-17-2002).]
Old Mar 17, 2002, 9:32 am

Yes, I should have used "mode" (or is it "mean"?) to describe the seat pitch experienced by the greatest number of flyers. My bad. Are the the upper deck 747-200s the exact same seat -- except for greater recline/pitch as downstairs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.