How many Service Points are deducted for the match/comp?

Old Mar 1, 02, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
How many Service Points are deducted for the match/comp?

Pardon me if this has already been answered somewhere else, some threads are just too long for easy access...

What happens to the Service Level points at the end of the six-month match/comp period? Will the counter reset to zero or will they deduct 12,000 (or 7,500) points and let us keep the rest toward next year's qualification?
Old Mar 1, 02, 10:02 am
Suspended

Hagborg Viking, you brought up a good point, actually the one with the looooong topics, I really think, it is more than OK to ask some questions twice, just because it would too much time, to read some topics.I can`t understand some users, who just post an URL with a quick remark:
"Better make a search first!!"

Back to your question, normally they deduct only the amount of points, that you actually need to reach or renew your service level.

Basicly you can fly so much in only one year to have enough points for XX years.

Old Mar 5, 02, 8:37 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:
Back to your question, normally they deduct only the amount of points, that you actually need to reach or renew your service level.
Basicly you can fly so much in only one year to have enough points for XX years.
</font>
Am still not sure on the answer to HV's question. What actually happens with my status when I hit the 20 segs/12K points? Does it automatically get extended for 1 year? Do I then need to fly 40 segs in that year to requalify for another year?
Old Mar 5, 02, 10:18 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am (will be) a newbie here too. My 'guess' (or what I think I learned so far) is, that when I did the 12'000 status-points to get Royal Wing for another 12 months they will deduct 12'000 status-points (per may-30-2002 in my 'case') and a year later, if I did requalify they will deduct another 24'000 status-points, and so on. If my status-points balance would be 240'000 points (and if the rules wouldn't change in the future) I would requalify year after year for ten years without flying. correct?

I have no idea how the segment-requalification works.
Old Mar 5, 02, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
My 'guess' (or what I think I learned so far) is, that when I did the 12'000 status-points to get Royal Wing for another 12 months they will deduct 12'000 status-points (per may-30-2002 in my 'case') and a year later, if I did requalify they will deduct another 24'000 status-points, and so on. If my status-points balance would be 240'000 points (and if the rules wouldn't change in the future) I would requalify year after year for ten years without flying. correct?</font>
I unfortunately don't think that your explanation is correct. They will match your 240K AWARD points and not SERVICE points. This means that even though you will have 240K award points in your account, you still need to fly the service points to requalify for RW status.
It just doesn't make sense your way (although I hope it will be the way you described it...), since I will get 1MM points. This would mean that I would get RW status for over 40 years (1MM/24000)!!
Old Mar 5, 02, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:

normally
they deduct only the amount of points, that you actually need to reach or renew your service level.

</font>
Exactly, normally. I guess my question boils down to: will they do things the "normal" way for those who qualify for the promotion?

anandrag,

I think you are right, the promotion gives us award points rather than service points.
Old Mar 5, 02, 2:45 pm
Original Member

1) will get 431'000 promotion points comped (plus the points for flying)
2) when I mentioned status points (that's what 'other' airlines like UA, LH, etc call it) I was 'thinking' of 'service points' (sorry to be guilty for the confusion )

So again, if I accrue 240'000 service points (by flying many business trips), my interpretation is still that I would be Royal Wing for ten years (if the rules don't change). correct?
Old Mar 6, 02, 1:52 am
Suspended

Rudi, you are right, KLM will match your award points, not your service points.
If you fly 240.000 service points in 2003, you will RW status until 2013, just because they will deduct 24000 service points every year for RW requalification !!

If they are sticking to the regular rules, they will deduct 12000 service points from your account after the period is over.
In your case, 600 service points are left, so you have to fly 23400 service points within the next 12 months to regain RW status for the year after.

Folks, put in mind, that your award points balance( amount of points matched from original FF programm ) has nothing to do with the status requalication !!!
Old Mar 11, 02, 1:44 pm

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star

Maybe I'm dense, but I'm still trying to determine what this promotion actually does.

In early/mid February I submitted the "transfer form" and my Other Airline (OA) mileage statement -- both by fax and original copies by snail mail -- but haven't heard a word yet. Recently I flew a long haul in paid biz, netting around 9,000 service points.

However, my account remains at Blue level. For some reason, I thought the promotion included matching the status on OA for the term of the promotion. This would have been nice, as the Royal Wing lounge would have nothing to do with me at any stage in my trip (which involved connecting in AMS at weird hours). Has anyone gotten bumped up to Royal or Silver in this promo before reaching the service point goals? I haven't even received a card yet. I'm blue in more than one way.

Also, I am still in the dark about how service points accrue. (No brochure or manual has arrived from KLM, and the website is hopeless.) Is it true that earning SPs varies based on your country of residence? So a German FD member always earns more status points than a Spaniard, and everyone earns more than the Dutch? I thought I read here that British and German members get preferential treatment. I don't know how KLM justifies that, but judging from the odd websites they maintain for each country, I'm not surprised.

Do Royal Wing members get mileage bonuses or status point bonuses when they fly? Or does a blue member in World Business Class get exactly the same as a Royal Wing member seated next to her? I suppose I am accustomed to the workings of other programs.

Thanks for any guidance.

Horizons

And I learned on this last trip, from my seatmate, that one catch to FD miles is that they expire fairly quickly if one does not maintain RW status, even with regular flying. Ouch! This really changes the value of the match, not that I'll work any less hard on my end of the deal or appreciate the miles any less.

------------------
~ Friends don't let friends fly coach ~
Old Mar 11, 02, 1:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Do Royal Wing members get mileage bonuses or status point bonuses when they fly?
</font>
No.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
And I learned on this last trip, from my seatmate, that one catch to FD miles is that they expire fairly quickly if one does not maintain RW status.
</font>
Not true. Since last year all that is required is to fly once every 3 years to keep your miles alive, independently of your level.
Old Mar 11, 02, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Horizons:
Has anyone gotten bumped up to Royal or Silver in this promo before reaching the service point goals? I haven't even received a card yet. I'm blue in more than one way.
</font>
Yes, many people have got their "matched cards" already (before reaching the goals).
Old Mar 12, 02, 8:11 am
Original Member

* I applied nov-30 (new member)
* I received the matched Royal Wing card jan-13 (with 0 flights yet) and expiry date of june-30 (the accompanying letter states that I qualify with 12'000 service points per may-16 for the mileage match and requalfy then as a Royal Wing for another year)

(and with todays return trip from Hoston I just qualified).

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 03-12-2002).]

Search this Thread