Community
Wiki Posts
Search

child working as a cabin crew

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:14 am
Original Poster

child working as a cabin crew

I recently flew with KLM intercontinentally and for my tremendous surprise there was a child working as a FA in a Y cabin!! She was about 12-13 years old, did not had a uniform and was in team with "regular" KLM FA. Child collected rubbish after the meal service and handed out breakfast in the morning under the supervision of regular FA. She seemed to enjoy herself very much and - I have to say - was very professional, but, honestly, some passengers were quite surprised... Has anyone seen something like that before?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:16 am
Original Poster

And I wont give out any details regarding date or routing, as I do not want to cause possible trouble to other FA-s/purser on this flight
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May have been the kid of one of the FAs. Probably in breach of any number of rules and regulations, but as long as she was doing a decent job and enjoying it to boot, who cares?

Johan
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:12 am

During the last three years of price wars in the Dutch supermarkets the average age of stock fillers has been reduced from something like 30 to 13 years old while salaries with benefits have been replaced with special lower-than-low minimum hourly youth wages.

Perhaps KLM is trying to copy Albert Heijn and this is a pilot of crews to come?

"I'm sorry sir, that is not possible, it is my warm milk and nap time."
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
"I'm sorry sir, that is not possible, it is my warm milk and nap time."
"You are on board for the crew's safety and comfort; please refer to the instruction card in your seat pocket; if you are unwilling, unable or otherwise concerned about the duties listed, please call my Mommy now..."
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:28 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
I did it too, once:)

On a flight back from LAX to AMS, when I was younger, I was allowed to help the crew by clearing up.

Was not actually a bad flight at all

Gajan
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
When I was a 9-year old kid, on an AF Caravelle flight from BOD to CMN, I once was authorized to sit in the right cockpit seat and "help" the captain bank the plane for a trajectory correction.

Little did the passengers know...
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:00 am
tlr

Programs: AF/KL Dark Grey, LH SEN
On a recent AF long-haul, it seemed like a minor on board had adopted one of the flight attendants. Never have I seen that fast and cheerful a meal service before... (The little guy was helping get the trays onto our tables.)
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
Originally Posted by tlr
On a recent AF long-haul, it seemed like a minor on board had adopted one of the flight attendants. Never have I seen that fast and cheerful a meal service before... (The little guy was helping get the trays onto our tables.)
Seems like a win-win situation for passengers, I like the idea.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
A lot of countries in Europe have a 'take your child to work' day. Maybe it was something like this and her parent worked for KLM who had given approval for her to help.

Doug
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
NO she is the new FF programme co-ordinator and next week will test fly the new airbus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.