Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surcharge for Credit Card: EUR 7,50

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM-FB Gold, PriorityClub Platinum Amb.
Thumbs down Surcharge for Credit Card: EUR 7,50

According to nu.nl, KLM will charge you EUR 7,50 if you pay your ticket with a credit card. Starting August 1st.

It's for all Credit Cards (so I assume this includes FB-AmEx), and does not apply to business class.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: Many
Question

That is ridiculous : how does KL expect their customers to pay for their tickets if they do not use their credit cards?

Isn't this (passing the credit card fees on to the final customer) forbidden in France ?

Last edited by bodory; Jul 24, 2006 at 9:12 am
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM-FB Gold, PriorityClub Platinum Amb.
Originally Posted by bodory
That is ridiculous : how does KL expect their customers to pay for their tickets if they do not use their credit cards?
Regular bank money transfer; in The Netherlands we have iDeal (based on internet banking) for that.

So perhaps it's only for The Netherlands; the article is not clear about that.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:44 am

Here in the UK they charge you (can't remember how much) if you pay by credit card, but not if you use a debit card (which is effectively the same as paying by bank transfer - a different mechanism, but with the same end result, the payment is made straight from the customer's bank account)
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:35 am

Nice: another surcharge, i'm wondering what they'll call the next one; "OLCI-tax" for using the klm website or "self-service-check-in-tax" for using the machine at the airport...and after this...they'll probably introduce another nice little feature/facility, promote it, and BAM: HIT YOU WITH SOME SURCHARGE WITH A CREATIVE NAME !
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Escape
Nice: another surcharge, i'm wondering what they'll call the next one; "OLCI-tax" for using the klm website or "self-service-check-in-tax" for using the machine at the airport...and after this...they'll probably introduce another nice little feature/facility, promote it, and BAM: HIT YOU WITH SOME SURCHARGE WITH A CREATIVE NAME !
Dont give them ideas....
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: Many
Official now : link
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:17 pm

Programs: FB Ivory, BD Silver, BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, Goldpoints plus Silver

Isn't this (passing the credit card fees on to the final customer) forbidden in France ?
dont think its forbidden, as long as the customer is aware of the surcharge and agrees to pay for it.
Ex. easyjet.com surcharge of 7.50EUR for visa mc amex credit cards, but no charge for the french national debit cards Carte bleue.
French websites usually dont charge any surcharge for credit card payments as credit cards dont really exist: only the carte bleue, a deferred or immediate debit cards, with very very low commission to pay.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:44 pm

Programs: KL SE, HH Gold VIP
Originally Posted by Eendracht
Regular bank money transfer; in The Netherlands we have iDeal (based on internet banking) for that.

So perhaps it's only for The Netherlands; the article is not clear about that.
Dit geldt voor boekingen gedaan in Nederland via de directe kanalen van KLM waaronder www.klm.nl.

The surcharge is effective for all bookings made withing the Netherlands throught direct channels of KLM including www.klm.nl
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
how long before FF's of KLM finally figure this airline fleeces you in everyway possible and yet you keep coming back for more ???
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:23 am

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
how long before FF's of KLM finally figure this airline fleeces you in everyway possible and yet you keep coming back for more ???
>>>Probably because they still provide the best deal for these people. The alternative choice to TPE has been documented

On all other sites of KLM.com the only way of payment is credit card, so why not just book your flight from Schiphol by booking from the KLM site in Timbouktou?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:53 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by miles4all
On all other sites of KLM.com the only way of payment is credit card, so why not just book your flight from Schiphol by booking from the KLM site in Timbouktou?
If you have to fly out of AMS you've got to book at the Dutch site. The Mali version of the KLM.com (if there was one) would have only let you book flights out of BKO
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:36 am

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Thumbs down

Official now : link
This fee is not per booking but per person! Why am I not surprised...
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:12 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Correspondence with KLM today. Unbelievable the last answer. Read thread from bottom to top. Sorry in Dutch. I have blanked out the name of the KLM spokeperson. Do you think I should give his name?

========================

Geachte heer Bxxx,

U bedoelt waarschijnlijk: helaas u zult de EUR 7.50 moeten betalen u heeft geen andere keus.

Overigens: verbijsterend het antwoord dat u durft te geven. Weet u zeker dat u bij Corporate communications werkt? Lijkt meer op de afdeling: de klant afzeiken.

Sjoerd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: "Sjoerd
Subject: RE:
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:03:27 +0200

Geachte heer ,

Het spijt mij maar de kelk van financieel adviseur gaat aan mij voorbij.

Hxxx Bxxx

-----Original Message-----
Sent: dinsdag 25 juli 2006 12:58
To: Bxxx, H. - AMSDR
Subject: RE:

Geachte heer Bxxx,

Welke van de hieronder aangegeven betalingsmethoden kan ik gebruiken wanneer ik boek via Internet en zo weinig mogelijk kosten wil maken?

Dank en m.vr.gr.,

Sjoerd
_____

To:
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:47:45 +0200

Geachte heer,

Het is inderdaad zo dat wanneer u bij de Bank XYZ bent aangesloten, u (nog) geen gebruik kunt maken van iDEAL.
Het is een misvatting dat op alle credit card transacties een heffing staat van Euro 7.50.
Deze heffing is uitsluitend van toepassing op de allerlaagste Economy fares waaronder
bijvoorbeeld de Take Off fares. De luchtvaartmaatschappijen moeten een deel van deze uiterst lage tarieven weer verrekenen met de Credit Card maatschappijen.
De overige klassieke betalingsmethodes waaronder pinnen, machtiging en kontante betaling blijven gewoon bestaan. Er is dus nog voldoende speelruimte qua betaling om een klant niet te hoeven benadelen.

Vriendelijke groet,

xxxx Bxxx
KLM Corporate Communications

00 (31) 20 6491xxx
00 (31) 6 534 xxxxxx
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:21 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Short summary: I wrote to KLM corporate communications asking if I can use iDEAL with Bank XYZ.

Answer: sorry, not (yet) possible if you are a customer of Bank XYZ, but you may use other cheap ways of payment (cash, debit card).

So I ask: when booking via Internet which of these can I use to minimize my costs?

Answer: sorry I am not a financial advisor.

My reply: unbelievable the answer you dare to give. You sure you work for Corporate Communications?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.