Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does KLM CH offer more food/bev. choice than mainline?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:06 pm
GVA
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Why does KLM CH offer more food/bev. choice than mainline?

It appears (...), that I (bird) flew AMS-LCY today as opposed to what I am very used to (AMS-LHR).

I was surprised to see that on our small but spatious Fokker 50 we had more choices of food (ham or cheese) as opposed to just the typical cheese sandwich on AMS-LHR.

What was more surprising was that there was a greater amount of beverages available (Beer, water, coca cola, orange/tomato juice, coffee, tea) as opposed to just beer, water, orange, coffee and (sometimes) tea on AMS-LHR.

So what the rhaa is going on? Is LCY just an exception or is this generally how KLM City Rapper is compared to KLM mainline (ie 737/767 service) on european flights in Y.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Considering that LCY is a high yield market, the upgraded options would make sense.

KLC on DUS-AMS is OJ and a Dutch cookie, no other choices available and the FA will give the special looks, if you think about asking for water, KLC ex CGN used to be slightly better with a sandwich, but I did not fly the route for more than a year, so cannot comment on the service level lately.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:43 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I suspect LCY may be treated as a special case. On the peak-peak flights (they're all peak, really, but some are more peak than others), it's not rare to see only 3 rows of Y!

Was it KL or Denim-operated? I note that they have slightly different service offerings.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:38 pm
GVA
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by stut
I suspect LCY may be treated as a special case. On the peak-peak flights (they're all peak, really, but some are more peak than others), it's not rare to see only 3 rows of Y!

Was it KL or Denim-operated? I note that they have slightly different service offerings.
It was KLM cityhopper metal, even though the crew weren't anything fantastic (in fact found them quite arrogant).

Here's me wondering how much time until cityjet are given LCY-AMS also.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:36 am
tlr

Programs: AF/KL Dark Grey, LH SEN
Originally Posted by GVA
... Fokker 50 ...

So what the rhaa is going on? Is LCY just an exception or is this generally how KLM City Rapper is compared to KLM mainline (ie 737/767 service) on european flights in Y.
Well, there are Europe Select tickets for the F50 operated flights, but there is only one class of service on board. I have had the impression that, at least as far as the booze selection is concerned, KLM Cityhopper is erring on the side of improving the service on the F50s a bit over what's normally available in Economy. The sandwiches are, of course, nothing to write home about.

(I often take the F50 from Luxembourg...)
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by GVA
It was KLM cityhopper metal, even though the crew weren't anything fantastic (in fact found them quite arrogant).

Here's me wondering how much time until cityjet are given LCY-AMS also.
Oh, that's a pity. LCY is (like so much with KLM) inconsistent like that: there are some wonderful crews that serve it, and there are som miserable ones. And there's one particular member of ground staff who I, if I were violent, would really like to punch...

I wouldn't complain about WX getting the route: a 146 would be far better than an F50!
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: BMI Silver, BA Silver
Its interesting, and hard to find any logic...

If you fly on its Cityhopper Fokker 70/100 fleet from the UK in economy you always get a choice of sandwich, but only beer, wine, orange juice, water, tea or coffee.

However, I flew AMS - RIX a couple of times with Cityhopper metal and there was a full bar service (maybe due to the length of the flight) with even some nice cakes handed out in the end.

Fokker 50 short service seems to be orange juice and a horrible biscuit, but I've not tried this on LCY - AMS where I guess the flight is longer than BRU - AMS for example...

After flying shorthaul on KLM metal, I would agree that things are slightly better as Cityhopper gives you a choice of sandwich rather than just a choice of cheese or cheese

Does anyone know what KLM's catering policy actually is these days, I've tried to work it out on many occasions!
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:18 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Originally Posted by stut
I wouldn't complain about WX getting the route: a 146 would be far better than an F50!
Bouahahahaha ! Apart if you get nervous at the sight of propellers, there's nothing to like about the 146 : cramped seats with same width/pitch in C/Y, overhead bins that can barely hold anything bigger than a toothbrush, ridiculous headroom and a noise level greater than a widebody.

And I won't even go into the AF/WX service level thingy.

UTA
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by tlr
Well, there are Europe Select tickets for the F50 operated flights, but there is only one class of service on board. I have had the impression that, at least as far as the booze selection is concerned, KLM Cityhopper is erring on the side of improving the service on the F50s a bit over what's normally available in Economy. The sandwiches are, of course, nothing to write home about.

(I often take the F50 from Luxembourg...)
My first CH flight was AMS-BRS last week on a F100. We also had a choice of cheese or ham sandwiches. I will pay more attention to the drink choices on the return Saturday.

I didn't think much of the sandwich, or the bus station of a terminal, but I thought the F100 was a nice aircraft - far superior to CRJ and ERJ that I find myself on more often than I like in the US.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
Bouahahahaha ! Apart if you get nervous at the sight of propellers, there's nothing to like about the 146 : cramped seats with same width/pitch in C/Y, overhead bins that can barely hold anything bigger than a toothbrush, ridiculous headroom and a noise level greater than a widebody.

And I won't even go into the AF/WX service level thingy.

UTA
Ah, I've done my share of LCY-SXB (when it ran) and LCY-ORY flights! And I remember when BA's LGW-AMS was on an ARJ... Yes, the 3+3 seating is narrow... But it's still better than an F50 in my experience. I have a soft spot for 146s, I think they're an excellent piece of engineering. Plus, you can always go for the 2-across seating towards the back, with a big gap by the window.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GVA
I was surprised to see that on our small but spatious Fokker 50 we had more choices of food.
I guess that not that many of you recall what Cityhopper was like not that many years ago. On a 1h50 flight between AMS and MMX the single stewardess would somehow manage the following :

- full bar service.
- meal & bar service. This was always a full meal tray. Midday it would typically consist of a salad and a cold main course + bread.
- dessert & liquer service.
- another full bar service.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.