KLM tickets less expensive on AF website ???

Old Feb 13, 06, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue plat, Aerop,Accor, Priority Club
KLM tickets less expensive on AF website ???

Had to book today a TLS/CPH ticket for next monday (20th) ; I check on KLM website, for flights leaving TLS at 12:30, arrival in CPH 17:40 , return friday at 10:05, price : 599 euros ; well, we are close to departure, could be explained ; by routine, or just to check the new possibilities to see KLM flights on AF website : same flights : 399 euros !!!!! On my soul, it's the very first time that I see something cheaper on AF website than on KLM one...

I just verified AF flights at times close to the KL flights : 658 euros. At least, something remains normal... (well... let's say usual...)

So... since this ticket will be issued by AF, does anyone know if I will be able to check in by Internet (I know that it's unlikely, but...)
Old Feb 13, 06, 3:39 am

Programs: Oneworld & Star Alliance
Welcome to the wacky world of airline pricing, particularly when codeshares are involved. The secondary carrier is sometimes very keen to sell unsold space, so sometimes (if the codeshare agreement allows) they will undercut the operating carrier's prices.

In terms of online check-in, you might be in luck as the KL/AF systems are becoming increasingly integrated. You will have a reference that should allow the reservation to be pulled up on the website.
Old Feb 13, 06, 4:13 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
You should also sometimes try www.nwa.com I found that they can be cheaper than klm.com on certain trips, usually it is because of taxes, sometimes because of fares. I know Paris-Istanbul is 300+ euros on klm.fr and 280$ all in on nwa.com.

Cheers

Timo
Old Feb 13, 06, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itinerantnomad
Welcome to the wacky world of airline pricing, particularly when codeshares are involved. The secondary carrier is sometimes very keen to sell unsold space, so sometimes (if the codeshare agreement allows) they will undercut the operating carrier's prices.
To be quite sincere, I have stopped trying to understand something to the pricing of the transporters since a quite long while !!! But for carriers who claim to be the same company, I didn't expect (hope ?) such a difference...
Old Feb 13, 06, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timo469
You should also sometimes try www.nwa.com I found that they can be cheaper than klm.com on certain trips, usually it is because of taxes, sometimes because of fares. I know Paris-Istanbul is 300+ euros on klm.fr and 280$ all in on nwa.com.

Cheers

Timo
Thx for the tip, timo469 ; I occasionally found good prices on nwa.com, but I thought that it was since I was European (It was for american routes) ; actually, I'm not sure that nwa website will leave me checking europeans routes without sendind me to KLM, but I'll try...

Hope to see you any day in Wisconsin... I fly quite often to MKE, less to Madison...
Old Feb 14, 06, 6:37 am

NWA - can't book from a European address

Originally Posted by pinkcity
Thx for the tip, timo469 ; I occasionally found good prices on nwa.com, but I thought that it was since I was European (It was for american routes) ; actually, I'm not sure that nwa website will leave me checking europeans routes without sendind me to KLM, but I'll try...

Hope to see you any day in Wisconsin... I fly quite often to MKE, less to Madison...
Unless anybody else knows a workaround, my attempts to book lower fares for NW - European or US domestic - don't work because my billing address is in UK...
Old Feb 14, 06, 6:43 am
cpx

Programs: Many
you could use a local address of a friend/relative/business if possible.
or just check the fares on one of the travel sites.. I prefer travelocity.com
(sabre) for all the USD transactions. they'd charge you $5 per ticket.
Or find a travel agent in US and stick with it. On many (non-us) airlines they
still get comission and chances are they wont charge you extra fees.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: