FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Difficult landing in CPH yesterday... Trip report (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/523779-difficult-landing-cph-yesterday-trip-report.html)

pinkcity Feb 7, 2006 10:09 am

Difficult landing in CPH yesterday... Trip report

I was yesterday (06-02) on a TLS/CPH through AMS flight with KL. TLS flight arrived perfectly on time (seems to have a significant improvement on exactitude on KL, lately). One hour to enjoy the breakfast NCC in the Schengen lounge, and took off to CPH. 30' before arrival, the cokpickt said us that weather in CPH was -2°C and "light snow". One hour after, we were warned that we were in route to hambourg, since it was impossible to have a safe landing in CPH. Landing in Hambourg by 1pm. We were informed that we were expecting new directives from AMS. At 2:30 , we took off again to CPH ; we turned around another 30', before the captain said us that that it remained unsafe to land in CPH, and that we were going back to... AMS... And to add to the joy, we landed in AMS obviously through... the Polderbaan, of course ; but it was just about 10' by a brisk taxi, I suppose the captain began to be stuffed...
Walk to the transfer desk, we are supposed to have a later flight, time for CPH staff to fix the problem.
Rush to the shengen lounge to use the communication tools to book an hotel, change the appointments blablabla... and we are back, at 7pm, in a 737-900, awfully full of course, to make the third trial. This was the good one, and I eventually landed in CPH, just at 9pm instead of 12.

This is a kind of experience that every FTer has experienced one day or another ; but I think that this time, KLM did a correct job ; we were always aware of the situation, allowed to phone every time that it was technically possible ; we didn't spend more than half hour without having updates. Particularly the captain and the purser did a good job on this. They tried as long as it was reasonable, but didn't take any risk with safety. There is just the quality of the sandwiches, but this is another story (now they are at "Cantadou" : is it a terrific consequence of the merging to go with this kind of cheese ?)

Helsinki Flyer Feb 11, 2006 6:31 am

Nice to read these reports. They´re a welcome change to all the complaining we are hearing.

I wonder if they tried to land in Malmö on the other side of the Big Belt? Probably the weather was just as bad there.

Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM Feb 12, 2006 7:53 am

Thanks for the report!

Would you have rather had Gouda?

pinkcity Feb 13, 2006 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Nice to read these reports. They´re a welcome change to all the complaining we are hearing.

I wonder if they tried to land in Malmö on the other side of the Big Belt? Probably the weather was just as bad there.

I think that all the area was taken under the snow falls, and mainly the slippery runways...

Thx for your good comments...

pinkcity Feb 13, 2006 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Thanks for the report!

Would you have rather had Gouda?

;)

Anyway, I'm frustrated by the cheese, but I wander what would give in an aircraft one of the terrific raw milk cheeses that we enjoy so much in France, like a grown camemebert of a munster... Probably a good reason to see the oxygen masks down... :D