FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Warning : hard weather conditions in AMS 11-24 Morning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/496597-warning-hard-weather-conditions-ams-11-24-morning.html)

pinkcity Nov 25, 2005 2:02 am

Warning : hard weather conditions in AMS 11-25 Morning

Warning : hard weather conditions in AMS 11-25 Morning
Hello,

I wanted to warn the community that we are currently experiencing tough weather conditions today in AMS, where, according to a lounge matron, "even birds can't fly today" ; so, for the ones coming here, expect a good shaking upon landing, flights rerouted to Dusseldorf or somewhere else, and a serious mess for connections, since half of the flights today by 10am are cancelled, and the other ones dramaticaly delayed. Mine for TLS was cancelled, hope the next one will fly...

Be cautious and take care

Pinkcity

Aviatrix Nov 25, 2005 3:23 am

Yes, I can see it's pretty nasty...:

EHAM 250955Z 26030G44KT 230V290 4500 SHRA FEW010 BKN015CB BKN018 04/03 Q0977 BECMG 9999

That's a westerly wind with gusts of up to 44 knots (about 60 kph), which means it's straight across the main runways which are aligned north-south. (There is an east-west runway - 254/06 - , but from memory I believe it's one of the shorter ones).

Look on the bright side. They won't be using the Polderbaan today!

Commiserations to anyone who is stranded. It's pretty nasty here in East Anglia too, but fortunately I'm not going anywhere!

pinkcity Nov 25, 2005 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Look on the bright side. They won't be using the Polderbaan today!

:) Happily, they have no Polderbaan in YUL (Trudeau, Montréal)... Due to freezing condition, my flight made the taxi to align the runway at about 5 mph, and stopped for deicing...
This at the Polderbaan, and I'd better to go back TLS in bike... :D But I imagine the ongoing situation with all the delayed flights on one runway... :(

AirJunkie Nov 25, 2005 3:49 am

Seriously nasty here in AMS today.... Lightning - then without even 1 second, huge thunder... Great day for Flight Simulator using real weather...

pinkcity Nov 25, 2005 4:30 am

Originally Posted by AirJunkie
Seriously nasty here in AMS today.... Lightning - then without even 1 second, huge thunder... Great day for Flight Simulator using real weather...

Thank you for encouraging me, AirJunkie... :D I'm supposed to take off in one hour... so far...

alanw Nov 25, 2005 5:17 am

Why aren't they using the Polderbaan? The weather might be better there...

pmcg Nov 25, 2005 6:43 am

Originally Posted by alanw
Why aren't they using the Polderbaan? The weather might be better there...

:D :D