NW Plat Elite flying KLM for the 1st time with no seat assignment

Old Apr 2, 05, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
NW Plat Elite flying KLM for the 1st time with no seat assignment

Flying CMH-DTW-AMS-MRS with a NW B fare and used 30,000 miles one way to upgrade to WBC. When I viewed my reservation record online, I saw no seat assignment for the AMS-MRS KLM flight on a F70. I called NW and they said that KLM does not do advance seat assignments. I paid a high fare and used miles to get no seat assignment? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I'm not used to flying KLM.

The NW agent told me I couldn't get seat assignments until I checked in AMS. What kind of preferred or premium seats can my travel companion and I get then at such a late time?

What is the aircraft like? F70.
Old Apr 2, 05, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
The NW agent told me I couldn't get seat assignments until I checked in AMS. What kind of preferred or premium seats can my travel companion and I get then at such a late time?

What is the aircraft like? F70.
The agent is correct.

The F70 is a shorter version of the F100 recently retired by AA/US, and is flown in a single-class configuration by KL.

While your NW status should automatically get you a seat at the front of the cabin, the term 'premium seat' would be stretching it (they are all the same).
Old Apr 2, 05, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you are flying "Europe Select" then you'll sit up at the front in 2x3 seating and get a nice little snack, even on the short flights.

Flying in coach you'll sit in 2x3 seating and get a smaller, less nice meal -- but not bad.

There aren't any really great seats on an F70 (perhaps the exit row) -- I tend to just ask for seating all the way in the back in hopes of not having someone next to me. But it is a bit louder back there (I normally wear my etymotics for almost all flying).

Steve
Old Apr 3, 05, 4:14 am
Suspended

The shorter European flights flights will not have any difference in catering, despite the front cabin designated as Europe Select, this is the case for sure on flights to DUS, most likely CGN as well.

MRS should be a different story though, the F 70 is okay, but no seat is comparable to a seat in US domestic F on NW, or, for example, the first row of coach on the DC 9...
Old Apr 3, 05, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
I'm used to DC9's on a regular basis DTW-CMH - a much shorter trip than the 2 hours AMS-MRS leg. Oh, well, two hours isn't that long. Thanks for the info about the plane.

Search this Thread