FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   what is select seating really worth? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/417492-what-select-seating-really-worth.html)

Escape Apr 2, 2005 12:53 pm

what is select seating really worth?

I assume the seating program offers preferential advance seat assignments to KLM/NWA/AF's most valued customers.

Select seating supposed to be available to:

* Platinum Elite members
* Gold Elite (and Silver Elite members as they are also Skyteam Elite)
* Unrestricted full-fare Coach Class passengers
* Special access passengers

Customers who meet these criteria can request a seat assignment when making a reservation. For more details you need to contact KLM reservations.

After reading that, you would assume that it's really "big deal" to be able to get those seats (I mean that there's something special about these seats), but as a matter of fact there really isn't (you only get to deboard the aircraft "early") and you would assume that all other economy-pass. wouldn't be able to get these seats (except if the flight is full) which would result in a comfortably quiet "front-cabin"..........
but guess what; assumption is the mother of all F***ups.....!!

Every time I depart from ams, this so called select seating section is cramped up...whereas in the back people share middle seats or even occupy three seats (if armrest go up)
The select seating doesn't even have notebook-power-ports (haven't been on the 777 yet) and on my last flight I had a "stewardes" which was beeing trained in the select seating section, which made me write this thread.

someone else was sitting in my seat so I pollitely asked this "mister" to get up and let me "enjoy" my, well in advanced, reserved seat 11E (744).
He told me that he got there first or something...so I went to the flight attendant, and told her about my situation, upon which she replied that seat-reservations where not possible, and that I had to take anonther seat.
Trying to keep the pacifist-reputation that I have, I kindly asked for the purser, as she clearly didn't know what she was doing, and apperantly didn't know that I was an elite (which wasn't such a big problem, but she could have asked for my boarding-pass)
Eventually I got my seat and the whole flight this "stewardesje" kept sucking up to me...yes mr.escape, of course mr.escape

but the main object here is; what is, this so called, select seating worth?

btw it (obviously) was an international flight

Papa Hotel Apr 2, 2005 2:52 pm

Nothing really. The only advantage is that you can reserve a seat in this section and a non-elite can't. Once the C/I opens, every passenger is able to pick his or her seat in this section. To be honest, I prefer this part of the aircraft; it feels more private than the main cabin.

KLouis Apr 2, 2005 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Escape
...btw it was an international flight

I'm trying to imagine somobody reserving a seat on a 744, on a flight from Amsterdam to Roterdam! :D

paul_nl Apr 4, 2005 11:12 am

The main advantage about the select seating is that you get seats in the front of the plain where the noise is much lesser. I always make use of this benefit also because it feels more private than sitting somewhere in the back with people walking past you all the time

BTW I hate people moving away from their assigned seats to move to the empty seat next to me. Is there no way to avoid this?

johan rebel Apr 4, 2005 11:34 am

Originally Posted by paul_nl
I hate people moving away from their assigned seats to move to the empty seat next to me. Is there no way to avoid this?

Sure there is. Just pay for two seats.

johan

paul_nl Apr 4, 2005 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Sure there is. Just pay for two seats.

johan

Yeah right!

The thing is, if the ground staff blocks the seat next to you, why should somebody with an already assigned seat have the right to take the seat once the plane takes off?

johan rebel Apr 4, 2005 12:47 pm

A blocked off seat is a courtesy, not an entitlement. If you haven't paid for a seat, you have as much or as little right to it as the next guy. I'm sure the purser will be more than willing to arbitrate should you feel that your rights have been infringed.

johan

Escape Apr 4, 2005 12:55 pm

Maybe you can temporary occupy the "free" seat by dumping your handbag and coat on it ? :rolleyes:

Steve Fenton Apr 4, 2005 3:00 pm

If you object why not charter your own jet. Why should someone not move to the empty seat or seats next to you if you have not paid for them ??? Being a FF with KLM means diddly squat these days so why would KLM want to do you any favours unless you have paid for something.

paul_nl Apr 6, 2005 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
Why should someone not move to the empty seat or seats next to you

Why should someone sit in a seat that isn't assingned to him?

Steve Fenton Apr 6, 2005 2:25 pm

I dont see why not, it does not have anyones name on it ????? so its vacant