Annoying helpdesk incident today.

Old Mar 23, 05, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Annoying helpdesk incident today.

I had a very annoying incident with the helpdesk today.....it may not have been the fault of the girl, (who I felt could have been a wee bit more helpful,) who I spoke to...it might have been the 'system', but all the same, very annoying. Work this one out....
I want to bring my son home from Vancouver on a one way, business class ticket.YYR - AMS - LHR, total 40,000 miles, right ? I go onto the award booking site, plug in the date....YYR...to Heathrow....'No availability.' I then thought that I would just check YYR - AMS...hurrah, success. I then re loaded the page to check on the connection from AMS to London...again, success. So, what that tells me is that there is an available seat all the way through. Now for the fun...call the helpdesk. 'One business class ticket please YYR-AMS-LHR on the date I wanted'. 'Sorry sir, there is no availability'. ....explain that ,'oh yes there is, I'm on the web site now and could make two bookings' 'No you cannot.' So I proceed to book the YYR - AMS segment while we are talking. 'Right', says I, 'I have now booked the long haul flight, can you please pull up the booking and add on for me the London connection ?' 'Of course sir, and that will be another 12500 miles for Economy, or 25000 miles for Business'. 'What' ? says I. 'It should be 40000 miles...period.' 'No sir, two seperate bookings ....you have made one, and I have made one.'' Yes, but the web site wouldn't allow me to make a through ticket' 'Sorry sir, but that's the rules.' Is that ridiculous or what ?
Old Mar 23, 05, 11:35 am

This is a common problem - my suggestion - book the first portion and buy a cheap ticket to lon on easyjet from amsterdam.
Old Mar 23, 05, 11:45 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
Mike I have had this problem on every single occasion that I have booked an award to / from MAN with KLM. I have never got the hop upgraded. I wrote to a certain person at KLM who acknowleged that there was a problem with the UK flights. I indicated that there was little point advertising zone to zone if it was never honoured. PM
Old Mar 23, 05, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mike turnbull
I had a very annoying incident with the helpdesk today.....it may not have been the fault of the girl, (who I felt could have been a wee bit more helpful,) who I spoke to...it might have been the 'system', but all the same, very annoying. Work this one out....
I want to bring my son home from Vancouver on a one way, business class ticket.YYR - AMS - LHR, total 40,000 miles, right ? I go onto the award booking site, plug in the date....YYR...to Heathrow....'No availability.' I then thought that I would just check YYR - AMS...hurrah, success. I then re loaded the page to check on the connection from AMS to London...again, success. So, what that tells me is that there is an available seat all the way through. Now for the fun...call the helpdesk. 'One business class ticket please YYR-AMS-LHR on the date I wanted'. 'Sorry sir, there is no availability'. ....explain that ,'oh yes there is, I'm on the web site now and could make two bookings' 'No you cannot.' So I proceed to book the YYR - AMS segment while we are talking. 'Right', says I, 'I have now booked the long haul flight, can you please pull up the booking and add on for me the London connection ?' 'Of course sir, and that will be another 12500 miles for Economy, or 25000 miles for Business'. 'What' ? says I. 'It should be 40000 miles...period.' 'No sir, two seperate bookings ....you have made one, and I have made one.'' Yes, but the web site wouldn't allow me to make a through ticket' 'Sorry sir, but that's the rules.' Is that ridiculous or what ?
Mike, the agent was right. You can NOT add a stretch once the booking is completed, i.e. once the PNR reference (or record locator) has been created. No exceptions to this rule and no matter if the passenger is PE or Blue Plus. You must instead cancel the booking, pay the fee and start from scratch.
Availability issue: the problem you faced is the so called "married segment control": the system considers the itinerary A-B-C to be as A-C.
You may indeed have free seats on A-B and on B-C if bought as separate flights, but when B-C is a feeder flight (imagine how many other passengers are on the same flight to London, arriving from whatever destinations), availability is drastically reduced. Not a good rule for me, but which then allows KLM to charge extra award tickets!
Old Mar 23, 05, 12:20 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
But the point is that Zone to Zone was advertised as a major plus point. I can understand sometimes not getting the short hop in C or upgraded but it always being the case is a bit odd. In over 30 requests many 9 months before travel I have not once had the hop in C or upgraded, and it looks as though it is not just me. As I said the person i wrote to at FD admitted it was a real problem that they are trying to sort out.
Old Mar 23, 05, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by simonsmith
But the point is that Zone to Zone was advertised as a major plus point. I can understand sometimes not getting the short hop in C or upgraded but it always being the case is a bit odd. In over 30 requests many 9 months before travel I have not once had the hop in C or upgraded, and it looks as though it is not just me. As I said the person i wrote to at FD admitted it was a real problem that they are trying to sort out.
One thing is advertising, another keeping the promises...
Are they trying to solve the problem? I've been hearing that since the introduction of the "married segment control" two years ago!
Old Mar 23, 05, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tricopulos
Are they trying to solve the problem?
The solution they have in mind is called Flying Blues. I'm sure it will be a great improvement!

johan
Old Mar 23, 05, 1:56 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Unfortunately as has been stated previously, this is a (very) common and very annoying problem. I have resigned myself to shelling out the extra 12500 miles for the MAN-AMS connection as it's not worth the aggravation arguing with them and they don't seem interested in trying to put it right. It's been going on for long enough now for it to be bordering farcical.

Must be something to do with charging extra for connections for arrogant Englishmen .
Old Mar 23, 05, 2:01 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - HHonors Diamond - ICH Platinum Roy. Amb. - SPG Gold - Flying Blue Blue - M&M FT
Look on the bright side, at least you could log into your account and make a booking.

pmcg
Old Mar 23, 05, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Must be something to do with charging extra for connections for arrogant Englishmen
It is obviously part of KL's new policy to discourage pax from the UK, whether they are paying for their tickets or not, in order to free more seats for the untapped Dutch market. Ask Sjoerd, he knows all about it.

Johan
Old Mar 23, 05, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the input guys...trying to stay positive, as I personally have no gripes with KLM, I feel the same as Simon...Zone to Zone should really mean what it implies....no 'ifs' and 'buts'....particularly when , as I found out today, that the actual flights that I wanted were indeed available, but only with two seperate bookings...not really good enough.

Search this Thread