I think I found the world's tiniest lounge (HUY)

Old Mar 3, 05, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I think I found the world's tiniest lounge (HUY)

As I've moved to East Yorkshire, Humberside has become my airport. My only other options are MAN (horrible drive on M62 although scenic in places) and LBA (Leeds-Bradford), which has got to be one of the poorest-sited airports in the world.

HUY's only got one real airline, KL. Otherwise Eastern Airways flies 19-seat turboprops to Aberdeen and there are a few charter flights.

You can imagine my surprise when I flew out of there last week for the fourth time and found out there is a lounge.

No kidding.

It's operated by Servisair and I had no trouble (as NW Plat) getting in. There are about six or eight tables and a relatively well-stocked bar, plus a separate smoking room.

This is too good to be true.
Old Mar 5, 05, 2:39 pm

I fully understand your surprise at the airport and lounge. I'd say there are a bit more than 8 tables, but nonetheless its always quiet and the lounge ladies are really quite friendly. Very good at remembering frequent flyers as well...

I particularly love the passport check coming into HUY, after a while you can just walk through

I'm also an admirer of the traffic lights outside HUY that demarcate the road/runway junction...

No elite check in though!

By the way, LBA is more inconvenient, but a return LBA-AMS for 18 inc. tax beats KLM's 40 tax + 50-80 fare hands-down. Still, I won't complain as long as I don't have to pay myself.

Last edited by Avallon; Mar 5, 05 at 2:42 pm
Old Mar 5, 05, 2:59 pm

Programs: KLM PE (I refuse to call it FB)
Smallest lounge?

Not sure if has been replaced, but the Malaysian loung ( on a landing halfway up a flight of stairs) at Taipei airport was very,very small. Literally catered for 20 people max as I recall. nice sarnies though.....
Old Mar 5, 05, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few years back, there used to be a room at LCY (was it called the 'Signet room' or some such?) for use by KLM UK elites, near the entrance to the terminal. It was not even a lounge. Just a minuscule room with a few chairs/armchairs (4 or 5?) and a telephone from which you could order drinks which would be brought down from the bar. This has now disappeared but must have the tiniest 'lounge' I have ever been to.
Old Mar 6, 05, 6:24 am

The smallest lounge i remember is a shared lounge on the Seychelles which BA was using for F.
Two tables, around 8 seats in a very cramped layout. One refridgerator in one vorner guarded by a prison warden who handed out soda cans when you asked nicely.
Old Mar 6, 05, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
I remember reading some time ago, in the KL forum I'm pretty sure, about one lounge that was nothing more than a sofa in a bar with a rope around it. Can't find the post now, though.
Old Mar 6, 05, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanw
I remember reading some time ago, in the KL forum I'm pretty sure, about one lounge that was nothing more than a sofa in a bar with a rope around it. Can't find the post now, though.

That's the AZ lounge at BHX, complete with a sign that reads "ALITALIA VIP AREA". Real posh like.
Old Mar 9, 05, 2:32 pm

I've been in that HUY lounge. It's actually really nice. They have more amenities in there (sandwiches, fruit, chips -- or crisps as they call them, soda) than any typical Northwest WorldClub.

The rest of the airport looks like it's covered with a tin roof (that would make awesome noise if there were a strong rain or some hail).
Old Apr 6, 05, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
I've been in that HUY lounge. It's actually really nice. They have more amenities in there (sandwiches, fruit, chips -- or crisps as they call them, soda) than any typical Northwest WorldClub.

The rest of the airport looks like it's covered with a tin roof (that would make awesome noise if there were a strong rain or some hail).
Yah, I love HUY, it's a great airport. I've moved to a small town in E Yorkshire so it's just a hop skip and jump over the Humber Bridge.

Unfortunately KLM charges for this convenience. For Action Fares it seems like LBA/HUY are always 20 or 40 more per ticket. Which hurts for someone paid in USD.

Although checkin at LBA and HUY does piss me off because Servisair doesn't enforce J/Elite checkin.
Old Apr 6, 05, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
yes, they do. And also, although i think HUY is great, if the plane goes tech, it's a problem (similarly with Leeds). If I'm connecting on, I usually end up on the M62 to MAN
Old Apr 6, 05, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Originally Posted by alanw
That was when they were re-fitting the lounge at Bangkok.

Also Leeds Bradford lounge is tiny along with the China Airlines lounge in Bangkok.

The tiny Malaysian one is now used on a temp basis by Thai at Taipei as I was in there the other week at 06.00 enjoying a nice cold beer !!! and its still as smelly by the way.

The lounge in Luxemborg is pretty small as I recall also.
Old Apr 6, 05, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Smallest lounge I ever visited was the airport operated club at LNZ ( Linz International Airport ) called Blue Danube Lounge, probably around 25 qm, no attendant, but its own elevator
Old Apr 6, 05, 5:24 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
and LBA (Leeds-Bradford), which has got to be one of the poorest-sited airports in the world.
what iyop is wrong with lba ??? , as far as I am concerned it is in the right place for me and has a good lounge with very helpful agents so TrayflowInUK I do not see your problem with LBA ?
Old Apr 7, 05, 2:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Amb Gold, Marriott Plat, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, BA Blue, FB Ivory
Originally Posted by psollitt
what iyop is wrong with lba ??? , as far as I am concerned it is in the right place for me and has a good lounge with very helpful agents so TrayflowInUK I do not see your problem with LBA ?
LBA is miles from the M62 and M1 so anyone driving from the south or east finds it a hassle to get to. If they built a motorway link from the M62 to the airport, it'd help. Although LBA is closer I often choose to fly from Manchester as it's easier to get in and out of.
Old Apr 7, 05, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I have a great idea, why dont you only fly from airports with motorway links also if you dont like the airport dont use it, cant imagine someone dragging you in there chained to a sled

Search this Thread