KLM Lounges at Schiphol

Old Mar 1, 05, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

KLM Lounges at Schiphol

There appears to be 3 KLM Crown Lounges at Schiphol. Is one better/nicer than the others? I have a loooong lay over and will be hanging there for some time, showering, etc.
Old Mar 1, 05, 7:00 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
The new tempory one just near the C gate /passport control , lounge upstairs is good as it is always empty !!! showers try the one near E /F. My favorite is still the good old C gate one though , even with all the over crowding as the soup machine works in that one more than most !

Last edited by psollitt; Mar 1, 05 at 7:02 pm
Old Mar 1, 05, 9:03 pm

Programs: United 1K
I tried out 3 of the lounges a couple of weeks ago. I liked the soup machine and free champagne. Too bad you have to pay for Internet access.
Old Mar 2, 05, 2:07 am

As others have mentioned there are currently four lounges, one of them a temporary one - this is because one of the three permanent lounges is being renovated and is down to half its normal size.

Only two of the lounges are in the international area - you have to go through passport control for the other two (including the temporary one). If your onward flight is to a Schengen country (=most of the EU or Norway) you have to do that anyway, but otherwise you would normally be staying in the international area.

The reason there are two lounges is that there used to be a separate one (with showers, and a better-stocked bar) for top tier elites. The lounge near D/E is the one with showers, but you need to have a KLM (or is it KLM or NW) Platinum Elite card to use them. For ordinary mortals there is a free shower (bring your own towel!) across the corridor.

The E/F lounge still seems to be the more popular (even though they're now the same), but it's also the one that fills up first - you will sometimes see "Lounge full - please use the other one" signs outside the door.

Both lounges can get pretty full - if you want to rest you may even be better off in one of the public areas upstairs where they have comfortable reclining seats.
Old Mar 2, 05, 3:42 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - HHonors Diamond - ICH Platinum Roy. Amb. - SPG Gold - Flying Blue Blue - M&M FT
Where exactly is the temporary C lounge in relation to the other one?

Can't think where this is at all and was in the C lounge last week.

pmcg
Old Mar 2, 05, 9:29 am
Original Poster

"The lounge near D/E is the one with showers, but you need to have a KLM (or is it KLM or NW) Platinum Elite card to use them."

I assume this is not the case as I am flying Business Class, yes?
Old Mar 2, 05, 9:54 am

You can use the lounge, but not the showers. To get a shower key you need to deposit a Platinum card with the receptionist.

KLM has never made showers available to Business Class travellers. The showers have always been a perk for their top tier Elites. What has changed is that the former top tier lounge is now available to everybody... but the showers are still reserved for the Plats.
Old Mar 2, 05, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
You can use the lounge, but not the showers. To get a shower key you need to deposit a Platinum card with the receptionist.

KLM has never made showers available to Business Class travellers. The showers have always been a perk for their top tier Elites. What has changed is that the former top tier lounge is now available to everybody... but the showers are still reserved for the Plats.
Thats' weird, I specifically emailed KLM about this and they said the showers were open to all...oh well, smelly me.
Old Mar 2, 05, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lounge near D/E is the one with showers
I thought these showers had been permanently closed a long time ago, due to a complete lack of ventilation and insufficient hot water?

I always ask for and get a Mercure voucher, their showers at least have working ventilation.

johan
Old Mar 2, 05, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I thought these showers had been permanently closed a long time ago, due to a complete lack of ventilation and insufficient hot water?

I always ask for and get a Mercure voucher, their showers at least have working ventilation.

johan
I'd heard about Mercure vouchers but didn't realise the showers had been permanently closed. It's a while since I used the facility - pointless on short-haul flights, and my long-haul to short-haul connections are usually fairly quick ones so I tend to wait till I get home.

And in any case I'm now a humble GE, so unless I somehow manage to meet Cristina's challenge (unlikely!) my shower-at-Schiphol days are over anyway.
Old Mar 2, 05, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
my shower-at-Schiphol days are over anyway.
Not necessarily - there are always the free showers in the public restrooms across from the lounge. Just don't forget these showers are BYOSAT (Bring Your Own Soap and Towel)

PS - I used them last month, no complaints. The pressure was good, temp was just right, and the price? very agreeable!
Old Mar 3, 05, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Originally Posted by johan rebel

johan
This is correct, and you must be Platinum to receive the voucher. WBC doens't qualify.
Old Mar 4, 05, 11:00 am
Original Poster

KLM website, and their email to me, states that as long as you're flying Business Class, you have access to all lounges (that include showers). What am I missing here?
Old Mar 4, 05, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the e-mail explicitly states that you have access to showers, take it with you. You'll have some ammunition in case the lounge matron says no
Old Mar 4, 05, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

my thoughts exactly, thanks.

Search this Thread