Why Security Check at AMS Going from Non-Schengen to Schengen Gates?

Old Feb 16, 05, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Why Security Check at AMS Going from Non-Schengen to Schengen Gates?

Recently I went from a flight arriving from Asia to the Schengen gates at Schiphol (both KLM, so moderator, don't banish this post to the lightly read Schiphol airport area of Flyertalk!) After going through passport control and customs (unstaffed at the time), I had to go through metal detectors and hand baggage x-ray to proceed. I noticed that there was no security going in the other direction (Schengen to non-Schengen gates.) I don't seem to recall security being at this location in the past, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know why there is security in only one direction? This means that if one arrives from a Schengen country and connects to a non-Schengen coutry (other than US and other flights with a gate check), there is no security check at Schiphol, from non-Schengen to non-Schengen there is no check (except for US, etc.), but only from non-Schengen to Schengen is there a check. I suppose there can be an implicit judmgent here that the Schengen countries have decent security so no reason to re-check people, but this does not explain the lack of a check going non-Schengen to non-Schengen (other than the difficulty in implementing such a check.)
Old Feb 16, 05, 6:36 pm

It's because of new European regulations, as I've heard from security staff.
Old Feb 17, 05, 4:06 am

I'm still trying to work out the system behind the new security check regime. I understand there are security checks going into Schengen. I understand there are security checks for US-bound flights. I still haven't worked out why there are security checks at D6 (one of the non-Schengen commuter gates) but not at other non-Schengen gates. There were no security checks for my flight to YUL last week.
Old Feb 17, 05, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I'm still trying to work out the system behind the new security check regime. I understand there are security checks going into Schengen. I understand there are security checks for US-bound flights. I still haven't worked out why there are security checks at D6 (one of the non-Schengen commuter gates) but not at other non-Schengen gates. There were no security checks for my flight to YUL last week.
You're right, there doesn't seem to be any logic behind the checks. My flight to BUD was boarded by bus from D6 a couple of weeks ago and I was checked, but my flight to BUD last week departed from D-twenty-something and there was no check. Perhaps it's because most flights from D6 are UK-bound?
Old Feb 22, 05, 6:03 pm

The D6 mystery

Would also like to know why D6 has its own security check - nearly missed my flight to ZRH because of the huge line there!

Since I was originating in AMS, I actually had to go through security TWICE between check-in and the gate

Search this Thread