Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

How often do you score MORE than 1 blue Delft "Bols" house on KL It'l flights? :-))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you score MORE than 1 blue Delft "Bols" house on KL It'l flights? :-))

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:53 am

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
great thread indeed!

slightly off topic, but for a good history of the houses, Ken Wilkie (editor of Holland Herald) wrote a small book, that KLM made available for a while, and which covered the first 75 houses.

as to blagging more houses than one is entitled to, imho it's all down to how asked, when asked and politeness of asking. i've often gone armed with my Wilkie book, looking for particular houses when the galley is quiet and enjoyed many lively discussions about the houses with the cabin crew, and have also enjoyed the odd 'extra' house probably as a result.

those moments have offset the occasional times when returning in C class and there's not been enough houses to go around, so it's been pretty obvious that people have scored multiple houses ont he outbound segments (or perhaps KLM simply can't count enough of them onto the plane in the first instance - heaven forbid i could think such a thing!).

if you're really serious about collecting every single one, then the only real place to go to spend cash is the off-licence near Centraal Station.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After some more rummaging I found a cylindrical KLM amenity kit in brown leather, containing a large clothes brush with wooden handle, a pair of (nail) scissors, a corkscrew, a combined bottle opener / shoehorn (really!), a nail file, one of those things to scrape dirt from under your finger nails (one end pointed, the other in the form of a scoop) and a comb. All top quality stuff in stainless steel, except for the comb, which is proudly labeled "real celluloid" in German.

I also remember, but can not find, matching Cross ballpoints and pencils in both gold and silver, and a wind-up alarm clock that folds away in a green case with "KLM" in gold.

johan
Old Jul 19, 2004, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Not with KLM in mind I trust ?
Don't give me any ideas!

I'm not about to saw off the barrels, and smuggling a full length shotgun on board an aircraft is not as easy as it used to be. It is better suited to defending the garden against terrorist assaults by marauding roe deer bent on wreaking havoc amongst young, innocent and defenceless shrubs and perennials.

johan
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
After some more rummaging I found a cylindrical KLM amenity kit in brown leather, containing a large clothes brush with wooden handle, a pair of (nail) scissors, a corkscrew, a combined bottle opener / shoehorn (really!), a nail file, one of those things to scrape dirt from under your finger nails (one end pointed, the other in the form of a scoop) and a comb. All top quality stuff in stainless steel, except for the comb, which is proudly labeled "real celluloid" in German.

I also remember, but can not find, matching Cross ballpoints and pencils in both gold and silver, and a wind-up alarm clock that folds away in a green case with "KLM" in gold.

johan
I have just one word for you Johan :

eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...7&category=159

Actually that is not so high a price -- I just sold my Royal Palace today via the official KLM Delft Houses website for 300 Euros. To an American rather interestingly. ^ ^

http://transactions.klm.com/aspminiatures/market.asp

But all that other stuff like ancient amenity kits etc would go well on eBay I am sure.

Speaking of eBay - has anyone seen this - never seen so with withdrawn bids. I suspect most of the current high bidders with zero feedback or minimal are fake IDs anyway. In a day or so when it ends, and bid figures are public you will see some of these bids are for multi million $$$ss.

http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws3/eBayISA...tem=3688276550
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
That official KLM Delft house market place really seems to work. ^

Had 2 more folks this week wanting to buy the Royal Palace for 300€ so I just went and removed it off their website.

Someone now has one for 350€, so maybe that made mine look like a good deal.

I do not understand Dutch but it says

Paleis in originele doos (uniek) te koop voor € 350

Last edited by ozstamps; Aug 14, 2004 at 12:42 pm
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:41 pm

I have only flown KLM WBC once before - an opperational upgrade on the AMS-LAX route.

I gave the little house to my mother.

I am doing a return to ATL in WB in October (emptying my FD account using the latest ATL 50% offer) so should get two.

One question - is it the done thing to actually open and drink the contents?

Stephen
Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:15 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by sjharte
One question - is it the done thing to actually open and drink the contents?
Yes, no problem, just let them know you are from Scotland and it will be OK. If they don't believe you then try and put on a Geordy accent and that should certainly be OK.

Seriously, never seen anyone open one but this is not surprising as they are given out towards the end of the flight.

pmcg
Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:17 pm

even I wasn't meaning drinking it in flight

I'm not sure if my mother ever opened her's and "disposed " of the contents.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by sjharte
even I wasn't meaning drinking it in flight

I'm not sure if my mother ever opened her's and "disposed " of the contents.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 2:08 pm

How do you open them? Please excuse my ignorance.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 2:26 pm

Take the wax off from the chimney bit on the top. Actually, I opened one and drank the content in the past. Just wanted to see if they had the real stuff inside. Yes, it was real, but too little of it.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:36 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Is this a record? - SEVEN house haul on one flight

No it wasn't me! Just the one thanks...

The scene:
AMS-JNB upper deck. A bronzed, late middle-aged couple sitting across the aisle in 77J/K

The strategy:
They first schmoozed a juniour FA for a bit and got her to open a bottle of Piper for some real pre-departure bubbly. When the champagne came he presented a tatty piece of paper listing the houses he was "missing" and schmoozed a bit more. "Such lovely houses", "would love the full set", "etc. etc."

The pay-off
About an hour after the meal service the same FA came back with the list and FIVE houses in a bag!

Double jeoparady
At the end of the flight a different FA came around with the tray of houses and they quickly claimed another two. Then the tattered list came out again! However this FA was immune to their charms and they had to make do with a final tally of 7.

Much more fun than watching Ocean's 12!

-- Dambus
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
7 ? is taking the michael...

7 is seriously taking the michael on KLM...

Mind you I thought I was doing well on my last JNB-AMS when I got 3....
1 for being in WBC
1 for the delay in departure...
1 for my birthday - YES it really was my birthday !
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends on how you look at it.

I figure they got 3˝ each, in which case it is not a record.

johan
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL GM
I've occasionally managed to get two, when my WBC seatmate didn't want his/hers. So no record there. I'm not particularly brazen about asking.

I got one in "semi-WBC" once--on an LAX-AMS flight, the odd little second cabin section next to the galley on a 747-400 was fitted out as WBC but filled with coach pax. We were told we weren't REALLY upgraded: we were getting WBC seats and "coach service" (Meals, etc.). I told the FA that I'd been excited when I saw my new seat assignment because I REALLY wanted a huisje, so she gave me one--very quietly, so as not to incite a huisje frenzy in our little section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.