Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

How often do you score MORE than 1 blue Delft "Bols" house on KL It'l flights? :-))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you score MORE than 1 blue Delft "Bols" house on KL It'l flights? :-))

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2004, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cris L
Your wife insists ? Is that when she travels with you ? Or when you travel alone ?

Does it make a differance
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetfan
It's often said that the Dutch are hated abroad because of their thriftyness on the one hand and their greed on the other.
Asking for a second house is just a way of giving the FA an opportunity to disprove that widely held misconception, and thus improving the reputation of the Dutch in general, and KLM in particular.

By the way, I also once found a house on a semi-automatic defibrillator at Schiphol. Presumably the owner's last act of generosity before expiring.

johan
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
By the way, I also once found a house on a semi-automatic defibrillator at Schiphol. Presumably the owner's last act of generosity before expiring.
Was it empty???
Old Jul 11, 2004, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
So KLM is not content with

Presumably the owner's last act of generosity before expiring.
So KLM is not content with forgetting about UM's, now they've taken to killing of their passengers too..

Gotta get in some practice before joining the ScaryTeam!!!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor
Was it empty???
Nope, it was full and in mint condition.

johan
Old Jul 16, 2004, 9:39 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
I suppose that they will be French houses soon ??
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mike turnbull

I suppose that they will be French houses soon ??
They could number them

Bordello #1

Bordello #2

Bordello #3

etc.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:09 am

Programs: KLM GE (former RW), ACA*E, BAW Blue, HHonors Gold
Talking

Maybe when FD, if they exist that long, get round to replacing the houses to new sets they could feature "charming and characteristic houses of the red light district"

Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:54 am

They add one new house each year to the set.

As to "replacing" the houses, they replenish their supply routinely. If you look closely on the bottom of the house, you can see the year that particular "bottle" was made (not the year the house was added to the set).
Old Jul 18, 2004, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Counsellor
If you look closely on the bottom of the house, you can see the year that particular "bottle" was made (not the year the house was added to the set).
Depends on how old they are.

Really old ones have no house number on the back. The number is on the underside, with the text "Rynbende Distilleries", sometimes with "Blue Delft Made in Holland" added. On the back or side there's a sticker : "Simon Rynbende & Sons, Schiedam - Holland, by appointment to H.R.H. the Prince of the Netherlands", which also identifies the contents, e.g. "Apricot Brandy".

Newer houses have the number and "BOLS" on the back and underside, where it also says "Blue Delft's exculsively made for KLM by BOLS Royal Distilleries Holland".

johan
Old Jul 18, 2004, 5:03 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Depends on how old they are.
Somewhat OT questions:

We are now on house #83; did KLM have different cabin classes 83 years ago or did everyone get a house?

KLM used to have a first class product (Royal Class?). Did that come with more or better houses?

Just wondering...

-- Dambus
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
Somewhat OT questions:

We are now on house #83; did KLM have different cabin classes 83 years ago or did everyone get a house?

<snip>
According to one website:

KLM started issuing these miniature bottles in 1952. Air companies were not allowed to give presents to their customers because of unfair competition. So, KLM had some Blue Delft houses made, and filled them with liquor and genever. Then, of course, their competitors complained "KLM ís giving presents to their customers". The KLM said "May I decide how I serve my drinks? Is their a law which tells me drinks have to be served in a glass?"... and so it all started.

The KLM was founded in 1919. In 1993 their were 60 different houses issued. In 1994, when the KLM celebrated it's 75 anniversary, they issued a total of 15 miniatures, bringing the total to 75! so that the number of houses would be the same as the age of the KLM.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dambus
KLM used to have a first class product (Royal Class?). Did that come with more or better houses?
Yes, Royal Class. They even offered Royal Class on intra-European flights until the late sixties or early seventies. Not unusual, back then even the DDR's Interflug offered shorthaul first class, presumably for all these egalitarian communist offcials. . I remember that the first class cabin on Interflug's Ilyushin 18s was at the very back of the aircraft, the front was too noisy.

In intercontinental Royal Class you were at one time given a Delft Blue tile, but I do not know whether that was in addition to a house. I read an article somewhere a while back about a guy in Sweden who had actually tiled his toilet or bathroom with them.

There was also a period when they offered a choice of two gifts, one of which was a small dark blue hard-shell case. I found a bunch of those when looking for a shotgun in my mother attic the other day. I also recall that my sister and I were given a case each to use as mini suitcases when we traveled. To keep them apart my mother tied a pink ribbon on my sister's, and a blue one to mine.

Other gifts inlcluded pens and leather zip cases, but whether these were given out in Royal Class I can no longer say.

On intra-European flights they came around with a tray from which one could select a gift. I only remember the large cigars, because it raised eyebrows when I generously helped myself to them when traveling as an uaccompanied minor at the age of eight.

I just rummaged through a drawer and found a gold & black fountain pen with the text "1919 KLM 1969", and a matching pencil. Another 50th anniversary gift was a green case with a letter opener and a pair of scissors, in gold and silver. I won't forget those easily, because I broke the scissors and then hid them to escape my mom's wrath.

johan
Old Jul 19, 2004, 2:01 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
'when looking for a shotgun in my mother attic the other day.'
johan

Not with KLM in mind I trust ?
Old Jul 19, 2004, 2:20 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Yes, Royal Class. They even offered Royal Class on intra-European flights until the late sixties or early seventies. Not unusual, back then even the DDR's Interflug offered shorthaul first class, presumably for all these egalitarian communist offcials. . I remember that the first class cabin on Interflug's Ilyushin 18s was at the very back of the aircraft, the front was too noisy.

In intercontinental Royal Class you were at one time given a Delft Blue tile, but I do not know whether that was in addition to a house. I read an article somewhere a while back about a guy in Sweden who had actually tiled his toilet or bathroom with them.

There was also a period when they offered a choice of two gifts, one of which was a small dark blue hard-shell case. I found a bunch of those when looking for a shotgun in my mother attic the other day. I also recall that my sister and I were given a case each to use as mini suitcases when we traveled. To keep them apart my mother tied a pink ribbon on my sister's, and a blue one to mine.

Other gifts inlcluded pens and leather zip cases, but whether these were given out in Royal Class I can no longer say.

On intra-European flights they came around with a tray from which one could select a gift. I only remember the large cigars, because it raised eyebrows when I generously helped myself to them when traveling as an uaccompanied minor at the age of eight.

I just rummaged through a drawer and found a gold & black fountain pen with the text "1919 KLM 1969", and a matching pencil. Another 50th anniversary gift was a green case with a letter opener and a pair of scissors, in gold and silver. I won't forget those easily, because I broke the scissors and then hid them to escape my mom's wrath.

johan
Classic post! One for the "Best of Flyertalk"! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.