Best way to get a later connection in AMS??

Old Jun 1, 04, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Question Best way to get a later connection in AMS??

I need to spend a few extra hours in AMS when i arrive back next week from a 18+hr flight and car ride.

Called my local KLM reservations office here who insist on charging me a $100 change fee for getting a later connection from AMS to NCL. I think that is really silly as i am not changing any dates or routes!! All I am asking for is to get on one of the next flights which I am sure they can fit one PE onto??

Whats the best way to do this? Is there a nicer way to ask this question to the lounge staff?

The last time i asked them at the lounge they wouldnt allow me as they said that my luggage had allready been checked onto my connection and they wouldnt be able to trace it before my flight. And that i should have requested this at check-in..... which i did and they advised me to ask at the lounge!
Old Jun 1, 04, 3:03 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
It's another 'pot luck' one this. I have previously been in AMS and been told ticket unchangeable etc by phone. Jumped on train to Schiphol and went to the KL ticket office and they swapped from mid-afternoon to the last flight without a problem.

Depending on where you are coming in from and how long you've got to connect, try just checking in to AMS and retrieving your luggage there. As a PE I think you should have a decent chance of doing what I did and simply go to the ticket office and request the change. You may even be able to check in again for your later flight thus avoiding getting 'stuck' with your luggage. This is presuming you are checking luggage in.

Alternatively try the ticket office at the Airport you are departing from before you check-in.

Good luck!
Old Jun 1, 04, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
Ive asked about this in the lounge several times, both for earlier and later flights. Nobody has ever given me any grief. If the seats were there, they just changed them. This was even when I was a NW Plat on cheap-o tickets.
Old Jun 1, 04, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Better warn the boys at NCL you are due back soon !!!!! boy are they having fun with passengers at the moment. Where you come through passport control they have someone with a radio clocking any duty free bags or anything that indicates you have come from outside EEC and they are going through all your luggage as you go through the exit point
Old Jun 1, 04, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
Where you come through passport control they have someone with a radio clocking any duty free bags or anything that indicates you have come from outside EEC and they are going through all your luggage as you go through the exit point
Radio clocking? How can they know?
Old Jun 2, 04, 3:00 pm

Steve,
A "friend" of mine is flying back into NCL from a regular trip to the USA next month. On these trips he generally likes to extend his inventory of photographic gear and deplete his bank account by many squids. (but by much less than in the UK!!) Should the squids stay in the tank this time so that the Trinity House gang don't get them?

Just curious on behalf of a friend!!

Exraf
Old Jun 2, 04, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Could you just not show for the flight & see what happens??? I mean, people in transit at AMS must miss flights all the time. OK, so as a PE they might expect better of you, but......
Old Jun 2, 04, 6:17 pm
Suspended

What I saw at NCL was very open and they stopped and went through luggage of two sets of passengers that I heard the detals being spoken to the other end of the hall by radio.

They were both carrying duty free bags, one from Bangkok the other from Dubai.

It really does not bother me as I dont smoke,never buy duty free as its to much of a ball ache to carry and I prefer to buy electrical stuff in UK as I get the warranty and back up
Old Jun 3, 04, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I guess I could just not turn up for the flight but then I will have checked in luggage and it will just cause hassle. Knowing my luck I will probably get a Lounge Dragon who will then insist on me paying the 75 change fee!! Which is really silly as i can fly back to the UK and back again for that much!!
Old Jun 3, 04, 4:25 am

Talking

Strictly speaking the lounge dragon would be right since you buy a cheapie on the basis that you cannot change anything. If you want flexibility you have to shell out cash.

Logically, changing a flight generally won't cost KLM anything since they have a seat available anyway.

On the other hand, if the flight you are originally booked on is fully booked , they might lose out on selling another seat on that flight; which seems why they restrict the cheapies so heavily.

That said, it is extremely strict and rather customer unfriendly. I have experienced problems with this myself, but I was lucky to have found a person who wanted to tread outside company policy to rebook me. This is the key issue, you will have to find someone who is 'nice' enough, which you implied by using the term 'lounge dragon'.

In my experience you'd be best off talking to an older member of staff, a member that still remembers the time when there was still flexibility in customer relations. Start off with a smile and you should be alright.
Old Jun 3, 04, 4:27 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by lallyr
Whats the best way to do this? Is there a nicer way to ask this question to the lounge staff?
I would just ask if you can be checked in on a later flight when you check your luggage in at wherever you are right now. It's worked for me in the past.
Old Jun 3, 04, 8:43 am
Suspended

Surely your travel agent can do this for you.
Old Jun 3, 04, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nope.... Steve i have all ready tried that..
Old Jun 3, 04, 6:08 pm
cjd

I think I'd rather just get home on the earlier flight than spend hours in Amsterdam after a long flight! I've sometimes had to spend several hours in Amsterdam after 11hour flights and even in the packed KLM lounge when you're tired, it's no fun. I'm usually wishing I was on an earlier flight back home.
Old Jun 8, 04, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Now the flight will be overbooked and they'll ask for volunteers. Chances!

Search this Thread