WBC Food

Old May 26, 04, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WBC Food

How is the WBC food lately? Travelling SFO AMS 5/28, wondering what to expect...
Old May 27, 04, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Not much !!!

Depends on what you expect as well.

Bear in mind this flight usually leaves early evening and gets in morning time into AMS. Dont even think about the breakfast.

I would suggest a good lunch and maybe a light snack before you board and then go and try the food in a real food establishment when you get to Holland
Old May 27, 04, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold A3 Gold IB Plata
I'm in WBC AMS-MSP and YVR-AMS this weekend, so I'll report when I get back.
Old May 27, 04, 4:45 pm

Programs: KLM GE (former RW), ACA*E, BAW Blue, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
I want to fly on airlines that give you real bacon butties with HP sauce
Wasn't that called Air UK?
Old May 27, 04, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I remember the Air UK silver service out of Newcastle where they served a kind of high tea on the afternoon flight
Old May 29, 04, 4:18 am

The LAX and SFO flights are about 11 hours long and as I remember you get a full meal after take off and a full breakfast before landing. Not the "quick meals" like on the JFK route, for example. My last flight to LAX was about one year ago and I remember being satisfied with the meals in WBC. Hope things haven't changed in the mean time.
Old May 29, 04, 4:22 pm

Well, I just climbed off of KL667 AMS-MSP. My advice: eat before you get on the plane.

Dinner was the standard unholy chicken/fish/pasta trinity. The salad was pretty OK, the rest was less than good. No drinks offered with dessert ("you may have cheese OR the pear tart"). I saw the box of chocolates on the trolley but they were never offered.

Breakfast was frankly unpalatable. Nobody that I could see ate more than a bite or two. It was a bizarre salad of undercooked (crunchy) rice with some ground up vegetables, a choice of "sweet or savory" (FA could only tell me that one of them had asparagus). I asked for savory and was given the sweet.

Very disappointed. This is nowhere near the quality of service offered by NWA these days.
Old May 29, 04, 5:11 pm

Last experience was about 3 month back - WBC to the wets coast and back.
Some of the food was edible. Dont expect much - bring your own.
Old May 30, 04, 8:41 pm

The connecting flight MSP-SEA served, in domestic F, a meal that was vastly better. Braised shortribs with new potatoes and pearl onions, smoked salmon and caviar, a nice mixed green salad, rolls, and carrot cake.

I'll put this all in a trip report in the next couple days, but basically this trip solidified in my mind that WBC is really nothing more than a bigger seat, better movie selection, and a larger quantity of the same bad planefood they're eating down the back. It isn't special at all, just another commodity only supersized. For me, it doesn't make sense to upgrade (or PAY for J, god help me) on EU-US flights (especially if connecting to a midcon that will be upgraded anyway). That 40,000 points is much better served going towards a proper F experience on MH.

That being said, I will probably upgrade an upcoming trip BCN-SIN because it's just too long a flight for Y.
Old May 31, 04, 3:10 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Must be the same throughout on WBC as I did KL553 AMS CAI yesterday and the offerings were exactly the same as alanw got on AMS MSP, although we did get offered the chocolates .

Have to say the food wasn't too bad and the crew were great. One of the better KL WBC flights I've been on . Shame it was so short.

Search this Thread