FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Req:Wisdom from KLM Board - What do you now get when you book a biz class award in EU (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/324066-req-wisdom-klm-board-what-do-you-now-get-when-you-book-biz-class-award-eu.html)

KenF May 25, 2004 7:45 am

Req:Wisdom from KLM Board - What do you now get when you book a biz class award in EU

It's been some time since I booked an award on KLM within Europe, and, with the dawn of (shudder) "Europe Select" I'm wondering what you get when you book an award seat at "Biz Class" redemption rates:
  • Lounge Access? (Even on Sh***yhopper routes?)
  • Select Seating?
  • Meals/Booze?
  • Lounge access at Schipol for transfers?
  • Biz Class Check-in?
Also, which KLM routes are still offering Biz class seating at the moment? I got the impression it's still on LHR-AMS, any others?

I need to assist a friend in spending their hard-earned miles, and, as I say, our flights tend to be long-haul thesedays!

Cheers,

Ken.

"If God wanted us to fly, He would have given us tickets." -- Mel Brooks

stut May 25, 2004 8:32 am

Originally Posted by KenF
Lounge Access? (Even on Sh***yhopper routes?)

Yes. Full-fare on KLc gets lounge access too, and I can only assume this is what you're given if you book a 'business' award on one of these routes.

Select Seating?
'Select' may be an overstatement here... On mainline services, you get a dedicated cabin, with the same seats as in Y. They seem to try to keep this 2+2, but, well... You don't get access to exit rows, for example, which are much nicer seats IMO.

Meals/Booze?
Yes and yes. On short hops, the 'meal' is usually a small salad and a desert, although on longer (I think over 135 minutes now) flights you get something more substantial. The dessert is usually very nice.

Lounge access at Schipol for transfers?
If you're transferring on to a business class flight (or have GE/PE), then yes. Otherwise, no.

Biz Class Check-in?
Yes, on mainline, there's a dedicated business class check-in. You also get priority security for Schengen-side at AMS, but this is only useful if you start a journey in AMS.

Also, which KLM routes are still offering Biz class seating at the moment? I got the impression it's still on LHR-AMS, any others?
The 10am (or thereabouts) flight LHR-AMS is a 767, so you get WBC seating for Europe Select! Otherwise, the early/late flights are sometimes 739s, which have some business class seating (the cabin occasionally overstretches into economy seating for Select, which is very annoying - although I've never experienced this). The 733s, 734s and 738s do not.

NickB May 25, 2004 8:49 am

On Biz class check-in, YMMV as not all stations necessarily have a dedicated Business class check-in counter.

monkey May 25, 2004 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by stut
The 10am (or thereabouts) flight LHR-AMS is a 767, so you get WBC seating for Europe Select! Otherwise, the early/late flights are sometimes 739s, which have some business class seating (the cabin occasionally overstretches into economy seating for Select, which is very annoying - although I've never experienced this). The 733s, 734s and 738s do not.

On the 739s used LHR-AMS, the narrower economy seating starts at row 6: a good reason to use Internet check-in to get yourself in the first 5 rows.

johan rebel May 26, 2004 2:22 am

Originally Posted by monkey
On the 739s used LHR-AMS, the narrower economy seating starts at row 6: a good reason to use Internet check-in to get yourself in the first 5 rows.

3+3 seating in Europe Select is bad enough, but offering a mix of seats withing the same premium cabin, with the better ones going to the savvy or lucky is even worse. Unbelievable!

johan

KenF May 27, 2004 9:45 am

Cheers!

Thanks for the help everyone - I'll pass on the advice and see how my friends get on booking a flight!

Ken.

"- Later you will be tortured, questioned and killed!
- Well, I hope you get it in the right order!"
-- The Nimon and the Doctor
Dr. Who - The Horns of the Nimon