Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award availability for PEs

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Award availability for PEs

Today I wanted to book an upgrade for my BKK-AMS flight next friday and I got some interesting info regarding award availability that I wanted to share with you. The lady told me there was no award availability but that there were 10 empty seats. These seats were only for paying biz class passengers, she said. So I asked her if it makes any difference whether I'm PE or GE or SE or BP and she told me that since I'm PE she could also offer me seats from the "Z" bucket (which is empty for this flight). Normally D inventory is for award upgrades. This was new for me as I always thought that some C and J seats could also be "sold" to PEs for awards. I was quite disappointed about this.
Old May 18, 2004, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Back in the days KLM FD agents were able to overbook award inventory for Platinum and Gold Elites.If the D bucket showed zero, they could take seats out of the regular revenue "C" class bucket.

However this is not the case anymore, ironically enough I tried to book two seats in C on a AMS-MIA flight yesterday.Flight showed Z4 C6 J6 and I was not able to get a WBC seat !!
Old May 18, 2004, 2:24 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
For what it is worth: I tried to book an upgrade for tomorrow's AMS - BKK two weeks ago and did not succeed. Tried again last Friday and got business class confirmed. For the trip back they couldn't confirm, but told me to try again some 3 or 4 days before the trip.
Old May 18, 2004, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
word of warning, I have been bumped out WBC on upgrade for fare paying passengers on this route twice.

I now use China Airline who have re-introduced full WBC service for a D class price. The beat KLM hands down. I have paid from NCL>AMS>TPE via BKK Ł890 inc tax for biz class, let me known if you need anymore info. I have flown this route 4 times this year with them at a cost of Ł3600 which is Ł4400 cheaper than KLM with service that makes you want to come back for more
Old May 19, 2004, 6:47 am

It is my understanding that upgrades come out of the z bucket for plat. elites and the i bucket for all other FF. this make upgrading for plat's many times more likely to happen.
Old May 19, 2004, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Talking

Originally Posted by erik123
It is my understanding that upgrades come out of the z bucket for plat. elites and the i bucket for all other FF. this make upgrading for plat's many times more likely to happen.
LOL hahahahahahaha

Dont forget "thats not possible sir"
Old May 19, 2004, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
LOL hahahahahahaha

Dont forget "thats not possible sir"
If you weren't a PE it would just be "not possible!"
Old May 19, 2004, 1:52 pm

Programs: KLM GE (former RW), ACA*E, BAW Blue, HHonors Gold
KLM and Flying Dutchman... we make the possible, impossible!
Old May 20, 2004, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
It's my understanding that the following inventories are used by FD to find award space for travel on KL flights:

BUSINESS CLASS
Upgrades: I (but a seat from Z can be used for PEs)
Free tix: D (but a seat from C can be used for PEs)

ECONOMY CLASS
Free tix: W (but a seat from __?? can be used for PEs)

If, for example, D class isn't available, but C is, then FD will "overbook" D class to allow the PE pax to get a seat. The PE passenger isn't actually booked into C ... C availability is only used to determine whether they will overbook D.

I believe that I, D, and W are classes are used by FD to book space on most of their partners as well (e.g., MH, NW, KQ).

If someone can advise the "overbooking" inventory used by PEs for economy travel (I want to say it's S?), I'll update this post.

BTW, PE access to additional award inventory is the ONLY reason I stay with the FD program. I know that there are lots of other PEs who feel the same way. If they drop this unpublished benefit when merging with AF, I leave immediately for another alliance!

Last edited by SFO_FT; May 20, 2004 at 6:12 am
Old May 20, 2004, 11:24 am
Suspended

wait until they base your upgrade by how much you paid for the ticket - oh yes - be afraid - very afraid
Old May 20, 2004, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
It's my understanding that the following inventories are used by FD to find award space for travel on KL flights:

BUSINESS CLASS
Upgrades: I (but a seat from Z can be used for PEs)
My upgrades have always been booked in D.

johan
Old May 20, 2004, 2:41 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
I on NW

It is I class on NW for Worldperks members upgrading or KL members upgrading from full fare.
Old May 21, 2004, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by rcs85551
It is I class on NW for Worldperks members upgrading or KL members upgrading from full fare.
I think for NW it is I when upgrading from a B fare (trans-atlantic) and Z when upgrading from Y. With KL it depends on your status and not on your fare class.
Old May 21, 2004, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by erik123
I think for NW it is I when upgrading from a B fare (trans-atlantic) and Z when upgrading from Y.
This is the common viewpoint, but worth noting that some B-fares actually upgrade from Z and some don't upgrade at all.

Fully changeable and refundable B-fares usually upgrade out of the Z bucket and only require 10k miles as opposed to 20k miles each way. Example are the B2US and B5GB fares between US and UK.
Old May 22, 2004, 3:50 am
Bas

Programs: Platinum for Life - Flying Blue
In dealing with the upgrade hassle now for quite some time, my conclusion is that there is no advertised or deployed policy. It is at the discretion of KL to grant upgrades, or not. It seems that it depends on the type of weather. By keeping it not transparent, they can always play seek & hide or Santa Claus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.