KLM Y Service on Flights Inside Europe

Old May 9, 04, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
KLM Y Service on Flights Inside Europe

It is now over a year since I last travelled Y on KLM (and the service was quite okay back then) so I'm wondering what the service will be like for my trip from MAN to NUE via AMS next week. Do KLM still provide a sandwich on their short haul flights? Are drinks still included? Or have they gone all Ryanair on us (or worse than that, LH)?
Old May 9, 04, 3:09 pm

The cheese sandwich is small and the drink choice limited to water, tea, coffee, and OJ, IIRC. The word 'forgettable' comes to mind.
Old May 9, 04, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Oh dear. I'm going to have to start insisting that my employer starts flying me on BA again. Either that or RyanAir/Easyect - at least they give you a choice.
Old May 9, 04, 3:31 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - HHonors Diamond - ICH Platinum Roy. Amb. - SPG Gold - Flying Blue Blue - M&M FT
You will get a sandwich on your flights. Today we have ham or cheese.

For drinks you still get both soft drinks and alcohol on KLMc who will operate the flight from AMS-NUE. For the MAN flight this should be KLMc but mainline KLM have started operating some UK fllights. On mainline KLM you only get alcohol in C class.
Old May 9, 04, 4:08 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Ok

Flew a KLM 737 Amsterdam - Helsinki and back in Y 3 weeks ago and was actually pleasantly surprised. (and I am normally not a KLM fan) Both ways we got a hot cheese sandwich (nice) and a box with fresh fruit, a small muffin, a small salad, and two rounds of (soft) drinks (no alcohol) + coffee/tea.
Old May 9, 04, 5:39 pm

Sorry about my misinformation. My experience is mostly applicable to GVA-AMS v.v. this year.

It appears some routes are getting better meals than others (not even a choice of sandwiches here...)

Perhaps this is related to the level of competition? GVA-AMS means Easyjet or Swiss via ZRH, neither of which offer any free food

Last edited by monahos; May 9, 04 at 5:44 pm
Old May 9, 04, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Again, oh dear! If you pay Easyjet prices then you should expect Easyjet service. Unfortuntely, we seem to have another European flag carrier prostituting istelf in the face of budget competition!

As much as I do not like a lot about what they do (especially wrt their FF programme) BA really are setting the standard when it comes to competing with the budget arelines and they do this without copying them!
Old May 10, 04, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmcg
You will get a sandwich on your flights. Today we have ham or cheese
That's only on weekdays. Weekends they offer cheese or ham.

In reality, there's is no choice at all on certain flights. At least I haven't been offered one between AMS and CPH on any flight recently. "Would you like a sandwich?" If you decline, you don't get the orange juice (well, a colored liquid more or less orange in color) either.

Originally Posted by monahos
It appears some routes are getting better meals than others. Perhaps this is related to the level of competition?
No, it depends on the length of the flight. Off the top of my head, I think the cutoff is 135 minutes, presumably chosen to exclude the vast majority of intra-European flights.

johan
Old May 14, 04, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I though they were supposed to be bringing back the beers on these flights???
Old May 18, 04, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I flew on a F70 yesterday from AMS to NCL operated by KC with a no alchohol service. They flew us out of D6 and then bussed on the most complicated bus rute ever invented, we seemed to be constantly dubling back on ourselves before we got to the plane and then a real bun fight to get on board. When I flew out a couple of weeks ago that was on a 737 operated by KLM with full curtain service ??

One good thing I was in the lounge showers in under 10 minutes from getting off my plane at E2 and the showers had hot water.Usual story both lounges full at 09.00
Old May 18, 04, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Steve,

Did they announce that no alcohol was now policy on KLC???

Thanks
Old May 18, 04, 4:13 pm
Suspended

All I heard was " no thats not possible sir"

I never drink on this route as I usually have to drive when I get to NCL so I don really worry about it. ON the way out two weeks ago some guy went beserk at not beignserved a drink and demanded a complaint form.
Old May 29, 04, 6:50 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
I'm confused - I thought Air France were going to make them reintroduce acceptable intraeuropean Y service? Did they decide not to bother when LH followed suit, or is anything in the pipeline?
Old May 30, 04, 5:13 am
Suspended

What KLM management introduce and what the staff actually do is usually two differnt things altogether, such as priority boarding for example
Old May 30, 04, 7:35 am
Original Poster

I thought the thursday night scrum where I pushed to the front, was one of the first on the plane and actually found space for my (very small) hand luggage was priority boarding. To be fare, when flyinig out of MAN we were made to board from the back (and front of plane passangers who tried to take the **** were not tolerated). Now if only they'd do something about the serial hand luggage abusers.

Search this Thread