FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Fokker 100 New Business Class Service ! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/317659-fokker-100-new-business-class-service.html)

pmcg Apr 30, 2004 4:01 pm

Fokker 100 New Business Class Service !

Was talking to a Flight Attentant that we regularly run into on flights into and out of EDI. Got talking about the fact that as well as the KLMc F100's that fly in/out there are now also KLM 737's flying in with "Europe Select". How to confuse the customer regarding the offering of Booze on the flight.

He mentioned that thay are going to start offering Europe Select on the F100's soon!

Could this be just a rumour or would it not make sense to withdraw alcohol etc. from Y on the Fokkers and only offer this to C passengers? All that is needed is a curtain after all!

Certainly has me wondering.

johan rebel May 1, 2004 2:13 am

It would make sense for KLM to consistently offer the same level of service (or lack of service, rather) on all intra-European flights, regardless of the type of aircraft used.

johan

Seachain May 2, 2004 2:13 pm

737s, pat? you sure? it's just that i saw fokker 70s parked at edi this weekend (run by city hopper) rather than the fokker 100s and thatseemed more in line with our luck. i wonder if the 737s could also mean a relaxation of the luggage gestapo's joie de vivre?

Gordon

Steve Fenton May 3, 2004 1:22 am

I flew out on Newcastle on Friday morning on a 737. The check in staff had no idea it was a 737 and were putting anyone into the front rows. Its a joke they served booze and salmon salad much to the disgust of a women who had paid a fortune to fly business class to Luxemborg !!! The FA told me that KLM not Cityhopper are flying the route now. ONe guy in Y was doing his fruit at not being able to have a drink at 11.00 in the morning !!!! and demanded service but the good old " thats not possible sir " finally killed his thisrt.

At check in there was 3 lines, one for elite 2 for Y. All three were full of passengers. A very brave Groundstar guy came out and told all the non elites to go into the other line, I congratulated him on his bravery.

I still cant believe people are daft enough to pay for a curtain to put behind them and get a drink which much be costing them a fortune on a 1 hour flight.

As usual the longe in AMS was completely full and people still trying to get in and actually queing to do so ???? I went to the one near F peir and left after listening to two big mouther Americans talking about how big their garden and garages were and how much they pay for everything. They were sat about 15 metres away and I could hear every single word they said.

Overall KLM = Total disorganisation and chaos.

pmcg May 3, 2004 1:24 am

Definately 737's, seems to be mostly for the mid afternoon flight to AMS.

F70's in my experience tend to be used for the last flight of the night to AMS with a Dutch crew whilst the last in-bound flight from AMS seems to always be an EDI based crew.

pmcg May 3, 2004 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
ONe guy in Y was doing his fruit at not being able to have a drink at 11.00 in the morning !!!! and demanded service but the good old " thats not possible sir " finally killed his thisrt.

Underlines my point that switching between KLMc and KLM on the same route can only confuse the passenger. I have no problems with anyone having a drink on any aircraft at any time providing they are well behaved and quiet. My reasoning is that having travelled a lot you never know what time zone someone is on or switching to.

I still cant believe people are daft enough to pay for a curtain to put behind them and get a drink which much be costing them a fortune on a 1 hour flight.
I suppose a lot of the time they are not paying and it is a company expense. I would not pay extra for ES but totally agree with C on long haul routes.
Still waiting for the time when the gate agent tries to take my boarding pass away with my exit seat and upgrade me to the front of a 737, that will be interesting.

As usual the longe in AMS was completely full and people still trying to get in and actually queing to do so ???? I went to the one near F peir and left after listening to two big mouther Americans talking about how big their garden and garages were and how much they pay for everything. They were sat about 15 metres away and I could hear every single word they said.
Funny how the stereotypical American is just that. No offence meant to any Yanks ;)

stut May 3, 2004 3:54 am

Originally Posted by pmcg
Still waiting for the time when the gate agent tries to take my boarding pass away with my exit seat and upgrade me to the front of a 737, that will be interesting.

This used to happen to me a lot ex-LHR. To a middle seat at the front, as well. One of the many reasons for my defection to BD (where I usually get a Y seat with the one next to me blocked...)

criscokid May 5, 2004 2:38 am

It would make sense - Air France subsidaries Brit Air, CityJet and Régional have business and economy class on their flights. In actual fact Brit Air currently have 10 Fokker 100 and Régional have 9 Fokker 70 / 100 aircraft.

Introducing Europe Select on KLM cityhopper Fokker 100 simply means the products are better aligned / similar to KLM and also Air France products.

miles4all May 5, 2004 3:31 am

On airliners I read that KLc is actually retiring some of their F70's. I was very surprised to hear that :eek: , but maybe it is only for 1 or 2 planes.
I agree about the confusion with the KL and Klc mix on routes. It must come from a capacity shortage on KLc.

johan rebel May 5, 2004 4:06 am

Originally Posted by miles4all
On airliners I read that KLc is actually retiring some of their F70's. I was very surprised to hear that.

So am I. The second-hand market has been flooded with F100s in recent years, but F70s are very hard to come by. I have heard on several occasions that KL have been trying to acquire more F70s, but that none were available at the right price.

johan

Papa Hotel May 5, 2004 11:53 am

This seems a very strange strategy as KLM have acquired a dozen of F70s from BD and OS last year.

csdavidson May 7, 2004 4:58 am

I tend to fly mid afternoon (approx 14:00) if I can (seems to be the cheapest price at about £88 for EDI-AMS return). All the times I've flown that route where there has been a Europe Select part I’ve been upgraded :) I tend to book 2 or 3C and on the phone they say they can't guarantee the seat, but in check in they just give me an ES boarding pass. I'm only GE, but my dad PE has been upgraded all the time on this route as well.

I've only ever seen ES on the 737s with EDI-AMS

Chris

Moriarty May 9, 2004 6:54 am

I don't know if you can call being seated in front of the curtain an upgrade but I ended up with all 3 seats to myself and no problems with overhead locker space on a 737 on the 0615 AMS-NCL a couple of weeks ago.

At least it made up for not having priority boarding at AMS despite displaying a sign.

johan rebel May 9, 2004 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Moriarty
At least it made up for not having priority boarding at AMS despite displaying a sign.

These signs must have been treated with a special coating that makes them invisible to KLM ground staff!

Seriously, how difficult can it be to implement such a straightforward and simple procedure? The fact that it is regularly ignored can only be attributed to indolence or intransigence.

johan

pmcg May 9, 2004 8:07 am

Got to agree about the Priority Boarding signs.

What an absolute waste of time, seems like the ground staff are giving the big 2 finger sign to their superiors upstairs.