EDI Servisair Shambles

Old Apr 28, 04, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
EDI Servisair Shambles

Last Saturday, the EDI-AMS 10,40 went "technical" which is fair enough, but Servisairīs handling was shambolic in the extreme. the 12,35 had space )infact only half full) and plenty pax could have made their onward connections. I only had hand luggage and PE but after Servisair refused to let me transfer onto the 12.35, the manager advised that if i had identified myself as a PE with H/luggage only, he couldve done it. Hereīs the warning... if it happens to you, identify yourself as PE/GE/Se because Servisair wonīt look up the system to see who they can move. KLM (on the phone) said i was Servisairīs full responsibilty since i had by that time checked in, whereas Servisair said they had no such authority and they couldnīt get such authority fromn KLM in time to move me onto the 12.35 )even though it had an hour to go). grrrr.

end result....? one night in Amsterdam waiting for the following day connection. It could easily have been okay but it wasnīt. Technical delays i can live with, but incompetence of Servisair staff, we shouldnīt have to. KLM need to train these clowns as to what they can and canīt do in suc h circumstances.
Old Apr 29, 04, 12:12 am
Suspended

The old story with outsourced handling agents, run into the same problems at DUS twice this year ( tech + weather related delays ) and AHS ( the local handling agent ) was simply brilliant

To be honest, those people could care less, if you are SE, GE, PE or a member of the Royal Family.

BTW, I am still waiting for the reimbursement of my expenses resulting out of the cancellation, despite a written confirmation from KLM dated Feb 23 2004 that everything will be paid asap...

Well, I am not surprised, but maybe AF has to sign the cheques nowadays...
Old Apr 29, 04, 4:32 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - HHonors Diamond - ICH Platinum Roy. Amb. - SPG Gold - Flying Blue Blue - M&M FT
A colleague was also booked on that flight for a connection to CPH.
He got re-booked onto the 15:30 and got a later flight to CPH but still arrived the same day.

Saturday before, 4 of us were booked onto the 06:00 for a connection to MSP then onto LAS.
This went techincal and suffered a 5 hour delay and we could not make a connection to the US.
This meant an overnight in AMS to catch the flight the next day, next day the MSP flight went techincal and was delayed. When we arrived at MSP late we then had to run from one gate to another at MSP and just caught the LAS flight. Arrived just over a day late and our 3 nights were cut to 2.

Staff at the Servisair desk handled the re-routing as best they could, they could on this occassion but in general the Servisair staff are guilty of things such as:

Tagged my bag Monday to ARN even though I was going to CPH.

Gate staff announce boarding before calling the lounge to advise pre-boarding for Elites and C class passengers. Even heard the staff discussing the fact that someone from the lounge has called to point out their error and they are very shirky about this as if the lounge staff are inferior to them.

Told you can't use a mobile phone on the air bridge. Maybe someone can tell me the reason for this!

Have no knowledge of AMS airport. I just politely smile when connecting to Shengen and they say, "you arrive into D pier and leave from D pier so you do not have far to go and no passport control to negotiate".

Hardly ever consider seating for groups travelling together, thankfully we now have interent check-in so we can assign our own seats in advance.
Old Apr 29, 04, 5:11 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
I really dont think many staff look at the passenger lists well. We always get silly seat assignments on KLM european flights particularly from the UK usually at the back somewhere until we point out we are PEs. I remeber not infrequently on a long flight the Purser would come round and say hello to RWings not had that for ages now.
Old Apr 29, 04, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsmith
I remember not infrequently on a long flight the Purser would come round and say hello to RWings not had that for ages now.
A rare event indeed! Some years ago a purser managed this trick on a one hour AMS-CPH flight. Amazing.

johan
Old Apr 29, 04, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
At Newcastle the GH agents are mainly Ground star and Servis air. I know from many staff there, they hate KLM for the way the will not allow them to make any decisions on how best to look after the customers and help them get routed to anohter flight. It always appears that KLM have one policy. Get them to AMS and we will sort them out when they get here. I have personaly experienced this many times
Old Apr 30, 04, 2:56 am

Had the 'get them to AMS sort it out then' treatment too. It's a policy motivated entirely by KLM's commercial interests (don't rebook passengers on other carriers at all cost - make them suffer long delays in AMS, even if it's a mechanical problem and our fault). No concern at all for customers.
Old Apr 30, 04, 6:20 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - HHonors Diamond - ICH Platinum Roy. Amb. - SPG Gold - Flying Blue Blue - M&M FT
Originally Posted by PeteW
Had the 'get them to AMS sort it out then' treatment too. It's a policy motivated entirely by KLM's commercial interests (don't rebook passengers on other carriers at all cost - make them suffer long delays in AMS, even if it's a mechanical problem and our fault). No concern at all for customers.
Got to give credit where it is due and after our 5 hour delay at EDI on 17th which meant that we would not make our US connection the Servisair staff tried to book us via AMS but there was nothing available due to an AMS-MSP cancellation the same day.
They then showed us the print-out from the booking system with availability and offered us connections via LON with either BA or Virgin.

None of us are BA fans and we have never used Virgin so we opted to get to AMS and took a connection the next day.
Old May 2, 04, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
pcmg, your collegue wasn't "lief" by any chance, (ex Grangemouth)... ? charming fellow, if he was!
Old May 3, 04, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Seachain
pcmg, your collegue wasn't "lief" by any chance, (ex Grangemouth)... ? charming fellow, if he was!
No, Joolz, always has a trolley style flight case, we called him a nob when he got it and we managed to convince him to put NOB as his name on it
We can usually be recognised with our www.rsd.tv shirts on the front and back.

One funny thing that happened when we were being re-booked was a guy who was going to the middle east had been re-booked, he went away then came back a little bit later as someone with the same surname as him was going to Chicago and they had booked this guy to Chicago instead of the middle east. He said I've never been to Chicago.

Search this Thread