KLM or Malaysia Airlines business class?

Old Apr 18, 04, 4:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

KLM or Malaysia Airlines business class?

Hello everyone!

I am going to be booking an award travel for my mother to go to Germany. I have the choice of either KLM or MAS business class on the flight from Singapore to Frankfurt, but it will be economy on the way back.

From your experience, which airline would you recommend?

I have flown with both quite frequently, but I have not tried the new WBC - judging by several comments it does not seem as good as people expected as passangers are sliding down the seats while sleeping...

MAS, on the other hand, has always impressed me with their service - it is just phenomenal!!!

Is there anything else to add?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 18, 04, 5:53 pm

Programs: KLM FD Gold, LH Sen
For the food, service and pleasent crew MAS any day especially in Business Class....
Old Apr 18, 04, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I recently did LHR-KUL-NRT on MAS.

The lounges at KLIA are outstanding. If you are flying FRA-KUL-SIN, and therefore have a First class KUL-SIN leg, that will let you into the First class side of the Lounge at KLIA, which is even nicer than the very nice business class side.

That said...inflight, the pitch on MH is short. Something like 50". The seats themselves are nice, and as they recline the whole seat tilts back, but still, you feet can't come up as far as you'd like because they run into the seat in front of you! The inflight service, while nice, really isn't anything special over KLM.

Steve
Old Apr 19, 04, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
MIA
MIA
MIA
MIA
MIA
MIA

Even cargo class on MIA is better than KLM
Old Apr 19, 04, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
If you want a comfortable seat, and good food and wines, then go for KL. If you're interested in seeing what C class service was like 10 years ago on other airlines, then try MH. You couldn't pay me to fly MH C any more.
Old Apr 23, 04, 11:11 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
What now?

Steve is Missing in Action?

In making a choice between MH and KL you will find inflight service much better on MH, like many Asian carriers.
If you are tall, keep in mind that MH only offers 50' pitch against 60' for KL.
Old Apr 24, 04, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
MH for long haul for me. But to me NYC-Europe is a short trip.

Last edited by ozstamps; Apr 24, 04 at 2:34 am
Old Apr 25, 04, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
MH for long haul for me. But to me NYC-Europe is a short trip.
yes, but flyUAyounger says the routing he's interested in is SIN-FRA. Singapore is, as I recall, located in your part of the globe, so that route might qualify as a "long haul" - although I doubt flyUAyounger would route as you do, through the US going to Europe.
Old Apr 25, 04, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by miles4all
What now?

Steve is Missing in Action?
Naw, Steve is in Miami.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314146

Last edited by Counsellor; Apr 25, 04 at 5:07 am
Old Jul 28, 04, 12:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Alaska 75K, Avianca, British Airways
Malaysia's C class service is tired and old. The seat pitch is only around 50" and the recline is not that great. If you are over 5ft 10", you will not be able to stretch your legs on the footrest as it is too short. Avoid row 6 at all costs as this is the bulkhead upstairs and there are no cutouts in the bulkhead to place your feet. Their on board service is no big deal. Satay's are cold and your main meal comes in an economy style container rather than on a plate. No water bottles left for overnight flights, quality of food is low with cheap ingredients. The only good thing I can comment on is their onboard entertainment system.

KLM business class offers you excellent room for your long legs, comfortable seats, genuine flight attendants (yes - I even like the grumpy ones because at least they are genuine), good wine selection, roomier cabin and professional attitude.

My opinion. Cheers
Old Aug 1, 04, 3:52 am
j2h

Programs: KL PE For Life; UA Premier; SQ; InterContinental Ambassador; BA Exec
Having flown twice AMS-KUL-SYD over the last months and being almost 1.96 meters, I've found seats on MH quite a challenge even sitting exit row on the upperdeck (10 A or K). Have found the food excellent (who ever said the satay needs to be served piping hot anyway!), the service attentive (who needs water bottles if the crew refills your glasses continuously even during the night!) and the IFE system allright (large screen but not the best selection of movies and why isn't there consistency in offering on-demand on the KUL-SYD stretches?!).
KLM's classic WBC (77K has my name on it!) seat is a lot more comfy and will fly KL on the way back from KUL to AMS (rumour has it KLM will re-introduce AMS-SYD service in summer 05 skd!). KLM's food has been a lot worse and their wines continue to be excellent!
Old Aug 1, 04, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
MH however is due to introduce flat bed seats by year's end and a total revamp of the First and Business Class products.
Old Aug 2, 04, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by j2h

(rumour has it KLM will re-introduce AMS-SYD service in summer 05 skd!).
Anyone else heard this? VERY good news for us if true!
Old Aug 2, 04, 11:22 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, Avianca Diamond, HH Silver, (OtherhalfGold), IHG Gold
Ive also heard this is happening

Search this Thread