Advice needed by Platinum Elite

Old Apr 12, 04, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Advice needed by Platinum Elite

I earned enough miles in 2003 to make platinum elite and made my first long haul journey as PE last month MAN-AMS-BKK.Being the boring organised guy I am I booked on an early 14.45 flight to AMS to ensure that my baggage did not fall foul of the problems you read about at Schipol for a 20.00 departure to BKK.On arriving in BKK with no bags I was informed by the very helpful groundstaff that my case had been bumped off the 14.45 flight due to a weight problem with that flight but when it eventuallly arrived in BKK it was clear from the baggage slips that it was not put on either the first or second flight after the one I was actually on but the third one which took off from MAN after I had left AMS.
Surely someone should have spotted that the case belonged to a PE and that very fact should have led to another case being bumped instead or at the very least ensured that it caught the next flight.Do you guys put PE tags on your hold luggage and would that have made any difference?What is the best way to seek compensation in the form of miles for this cock up.All help greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 12, 04, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
We are talking about KLM here, the airline who have the ability to do anything should you accept the mission.

I have had this happen a number of time over the years out of Manchester when we check in a lot of luggage for exhibitions.

The best you can hope for is to qrite to the UK office which is now at Heathrow and hpe someone with half a brain picks up your letter. Chances are now you have posted on here you are seeking miles they will have you on the black list for complaining.
Old Apr 12, 04, 5:11 pm

I've not complained to KLM for a couple of years or so now (!), but in the past I've usually found them to be quite willing to offer some kind of goodwill gesture. I've had money, I've had miles, I've had a travel voucher, I've had a food hamper, I've had a case of wine...

Sometimes they will try to fob you off by sending a letter full of boiler plate text picked from some standard template. If they do that just write and tell them that their Standard Letter No 27 does not address the points in your letter at all and that you would like them to now please read your letter and respond to the points you made. This usually works...

I've got the UK postal address somewhere - give me a shout if you want me to dig it out.
Old Apr 13, 04, 4:26 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Angry

duan, as a matter of interest what weight was your 'missing' bag ?.

The reason I ask is MAN has a 32kg per bag limit (regardless of what PE entitles you to). Yet the good ol' KL check-in staff will let bags over this weight go through without saying anything. Then it arrives with those loveable baggage handlers who will want to prove (another) point by refusing to load it
Old Apr 13, 04, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I've not complained to KLM for a couple of years or so now (!), but in the past I've usually found them to be quite willing to offer some kind of goodwill gesture. I've had money, I've had miles, I've had a travel voucher, I've had a food hamper, I've had a case of wine...

Sometimes they will try to fob you off by sending a letter full of boiler plate text picked from some standard template. If they do that just write and tell them that their Standard Letter No 27 does not address the points in your letter at all and that you would like them to now please read your letter and respond to the points you made. This usually works...
The first time I complained to KLM I received a small case of wine. It was my first journey with them, which should have been a warning.

Since that first complaint I have received nothing but standard-issue nonsense repsonses to further issues, usually between two and six MONTHS after posting my letters. Complaining about the response usually results in an even more baffling or irrelevent reply. About a year ago I sent a detailed letter giving a point by point breakdown of problems with Servisair handling at EDI and explaining that it was my second time of writing about that particular issue. Despite a reply from Customer Relations promising that the problems would be "raised with local managers" I can confirm that the Servisair manager at EDI has never seen my letter, nor heard of it, nor been made aware of the issues raised. Either that or she is lying.

MAN Flyer is right on the button. The airline contracts out the ground handling to a bunch of imbeciles in order to save money. The ground handling agent employs check-in staff who are not generally trained in ramp operations (except perhaps dispatch) and ramp agents who have no understanding of check-in or wider customer service consequences of their actions. The result is a total lack of basic communication about day-to-day handling issues - and the astonishing situation in which the ground staff:

1. fail to load the bags of a top tier elite FFer who is on a connection (either through obstinacy, as suggested here, or because the F100 was overweight in the hold)
2. fail to notify pax or ground staff in AMS of this situation
3. fail to take the obvious remedial action of loading the bag on the very next flight

Other airlines short-ship bags all the time, nobody is perfect. But I do know that when BD short-ships a connecting bag or a Star Gold bag at EDI there is an internal review and a log kept so that staff can be retrained or reappraised of the cost and consequences for the customer. Will this happen at MAN if you make a complaint? Will it f***.

Last edited by ajamieson; Apr 13, 04 at 5:12 am
Old Apr 13, 04, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Aviatrix-I would greatly appreciate the UK address and thank you for your help.
In response to MAN FLYER's query I would guess that my case weighed around 22 kg. I actually wondered whether the switch to terminal 2 and the change of baggage handling agent to Avience(?) had an effect.
Would a PE baggage label have reduced the risk?
Old Apr 13, 04, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Smile

PE baggage label is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike
Old Apr 13, 04, 6:25 pm

I'll post the address here (rather than in a PM) in case anyone else needs it:

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Customer Relations
PO Box 47
Feltham
TW19 9XY

Tel 08708 500747
Fax 08708 500767
Old Apr 14, 04, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Aviatrix,
Thanks for the address.I will compose a suitable letter and hope to get a half decent response after following your kind advice if I get a standard brush off letter in the first instance.
Old Apr 17, 04, 10:01 am

For what it's worth, a colleague had his luggage delayed by KLM and wound up having to attend a meeting with the US Ambassador, a meeting with the host country Deputy Minister, and a reception hosted by the US Ambassador at her home, all in the same suit he had travelled in (with a shirt that was, despite the best efforts of the hotel concierge, beginning to show the strain).

KLM responded to his complaint with a note that in such cases their policy is to pay one-half of the costs of replacement items purchased due to the delay in delivery of the luggage (only one-half, on the theory that the items have some residual use value).

If this happens to you again, I'd suggest confirming this policy with the KLM agent at the airport, and arranging to purchase what you need.

Search this Thread