Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Standby on WBC Reward Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2004, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Question KLM Standby on WBC Reward Ticket?

I did a search and saw a few posts on KLM standby being hit-or-miss.

Specifically, I'm in this situation: CO Plat on a reward ticket SFO-AMS-BCN with a long connection in AMS. Flying WBC (connecting to Europe Select or whatever they call it now). You could argue that it's a WBC ticket so it is flexible, but it's also a reward ticket so it's not the most expensive thing in the world.

Do you think it will be possible to standby or confirm an earlier AMS-BCN if it's open? Also, where is the best place to attempt to do this? At SFO checkin? SFO WorldClub? AMS Transfer Desk? AMS Club?

Thanks for any insight.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 5:40 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Hmm. I don't think award tickets are ever flexible, regardless of the class flown (and a WBC ticket isn't necessarily flexible either). Also, it's pretty rare, in Europe, for airlines to allow you to stand by on an inflexible ticket (apart from operational reasons, like the later flight being overbooked) in the first place, so it's not something I'd count on being able to do.

That said, you can only ask. I've managed it a couple of times on KLM, but never ex-AMS, where they tend to be sticklers for the rules. I would ask once in SFO (but you're likely to get a response along the lines of "it's a KLM award ticket, we can't access their systems") and seek out one of the Gold/Plat transfer desks at AMS (which you likely won't *have* to visit) where they tend to be more amenable than the harrassed 'bouncers' at the AMS lounges.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:43 am
Suspended

You can always give it a try and ask, if they put you on an earlier flight, however NW staff at check in or at the SFO World Club will not be helpful.

You can ask at any transfer desk at Schiphol or at the lounges or at the gate of the earlier BCN flight, but it may come down to the fact, if the gate supervisor is in a good mood or not

I have seen great KLM staff at Schiphol, but it is unfortunately not the norm...
Old Apr 12, 2004, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely won't hurt to ask...
Old Apr 13, 2004, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Can quote from direct experience of last October on this one....

I was flying MIA-AMS-LHR on a reward ticket in WBC (Business Class on the connection). We landed at AMS ahead of schedule and only had carry on bags, so went straight to the transfer desk.

The agent had to make a phone call to check it was permitted, but soon produced 2 bps on the earlier flight & we were in London 2hrs ahead of schedule.

This wasn't a capacity issue, as the flight to LHR left about the same time as the MIA flight should have landed, but on this occasion they were quite accommodating!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, Swiss Tony, that gives me hope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.