Thank you KLM

Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you KLM

I have never ever before missed a connecting flight where it was my own fault. (Gross stupidity).

I thought I was going to be in real trouble, but KLM whom I was flying with stepped in, and rebooked me the next day at no cost.

Couldn't be more happy with them. I'm going to be prioritising KLM in the future.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I have never ever before missed a connecting flight where it was my own fault. (Gross stupidity).

I thought I was going to be in real trouble, but KLM whom I was flying with stepped in, and rebooked me the next day at no cost.

Couldn't be more happy with them. I'm going to be prioritising KLM in the future.
I have this experience too from about 7-8 years ago. Sat in the lounge, enjoying a drink, and glanced at my phone's screen which showed the Apple Wallet boarding pass' time. Decided I had more than enough time to walk to the B gates so kept sitting. 20 mins later, I pull up the full boarding pass and realize that the time shown on the home screen is the departure and not the boarding time. I kind of knew that I would've missed the flight by then, but did a super brisk walk to the gate anyway. Met the gate agents walking back, one gate before where we were to board. Sadly had missed the flight.

Walked up to the transfer desk, admitted how big of a dumb idiot I was. The lady smiled, and just handed me a boarding pass for the next morning since this was the last flight of the day.

They definitely won a dedicated customer that day.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Somehow I ended up using my laptop which was two hours out. I'm not sure how it was two hours out as I thought there was only one hour difference between the UK and The Netherlands, but there it was.

I was expecting that I would have forfeited all remaining journeys and would have to buy full tickets from scratch. So, my jaw (literally) dropped when they said it was free.

When I finally got here to Bali, we went to the hotel we booked in a hurry and saw that it was behind a much better one. Not too big a problem, but I found that they are two brands owned by the same company and I have negotiated an upgrade (paying the normal difference). So, this seems to be the trip where things are wrong (differing degrees of wrong - my current hotel is fine) and they can be fixed.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:38 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Somehow I ended up using my laptop which was two hours out. I'm not sure how it was two hours out as I thought there was only one hour difference between the UK and The Netherlands, but there it was.

I was expecting that I would have forfeited all remaining journeys and would have to buy full tickets from scratch. So, my jaw (literally) dropped when they said it was free.

When I finally got here to Bali, we went to the hotel we booked in a hurry and saw that it was behind a much better one. Not too big a problem, but I found that they are two brands owned by the same company and I have negotiated an upgrade (paying the normal difference). So, this seems to be the trip where things are wrong (differing degrees of wrong - my current hotel is fine) and they can be fixed.
Netherlands (and other EU countries) went GMT+1 to GMT+2 on March 31st for daylight saving time. Probably what got you there.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maalloc
Netherlands (and other EU countries) went GMT+1 to GMT+2 on March 31st for daylight saving time. Probably what got you there.
The UK changes to day light saving time as the same time as the rest of Europe, though (and laptops normally update automatically).
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm going to be prioritising KLM in the future.
Just don't make a habit of missing your connections.

You were lucky to be rebooked for free and don't expect it to happen again!

(The cynic in me would suggest they'd already given away your seat to somebody else even while you were still in the air...we've seen more than one report of people making it to their connection while boarding is still ongoing only to discover that KLM had given away their seats to others and rebooked them)
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:02 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Years ago I overslept in Beijing and was going to miss my flight. Called KLM (ended up with their HongKong office) and they rebooked me for the rebooking fee of 100 Euro to nex day's flight.Even ending up in Economy comfort, for which I would have to pay at that time. Still longer ago a Paris-BKK flight went tech and we left with >12 hours delay. When arriving in BKK, I knew I had to do my self-connection BKK-Hanoi with AF without the day overnight in BKK - but was warned upon deboarding that was cancelled (I realised that the crew doing Paris-BKK would have to do the BKK-Hanoi AF flight - was rebooked without problems, but obviously their mistake.

But agree with Irishguys one should not count on it. THere will be holidsya where everything goes wrong...

Last edited by atflyer; Apr 2, 2024 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
I have a similar experience of approx a year ago, where I was supposed to be on an intra-EU AF flight at 6.20AM, and had my alarm set for 4.30 AM (the airport was a mere 10 minutes away in the worst of cases). Only to wake up 6.30AM seeing the alarm was accidentally set to 6.30.

Got to the airport at 7.10am, obviously missed my first of 2 flights due to stupidity, and was rebooked by KL onto another flight free of charge and got to my final destination a few hours later than originally planned.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28

(The cynic in me would suggest they'd already given away your seat to somebody else even while you were still in the air...we've seen more than one report of people making it to their connection while boarding is still ongoing only to discover that KLM had given away their seats to others and rebooked them)
I have absolutely no intention to ever miss a connection ever again!!!!

There was four hours between my arrival in Amsterdam and my connecting flight to Singapore. Hence, there's no reason to expect that my seat was being given away. There were quite a few people at T6 being rebooked after a previous connection was missed (airline's fault). I've been stuck for a day in Amsterdam once before, also on KLM. That was when Heathrow was running at an absolute crawl because of weather and I didn't even leave the UK until hours after my connection from Amsterdam was scheduled to leave. KLM offered to route me through Malaysia (to NZ), but I wanted the flight that had me in Japan for 17 hours, and I spent some time in Narita (the town, not the airport).

Originally Posted by b12e
I have a similar experience of approx a year ago, where I was supposed to be on an intra-EU AF flight at 6.20AM, and had my alarm set for 4.30 AM (the airport was a mere 10 minutes away in the worst of cases). Only to wake up 6.30AM seeing the alarm was accidentally set to 6.30.

Got to the airport at 7.10am, obviously missed my first of 2 flights due to stupidity, and was rebooked by KL onto another flight free of charge and got to my final destination a few hours later than originally planned.
I did similar once when leaving Tehran. I set my alarm clock for the time the taxi driver was scheduled to turn up instead of earlier to prepare, and the hotel person was knocking on the door. The taxi driver waited for 15 minutes while I put everything together in a panic. He was, in the end, quite happy when he saw the size of the tip I gave him.

There have been a number of times in my life when I have zoned out, made small errors, and came close to missing a flight or connection. It's just never happened for real before. This has been a wake-up call. When catching the replacement flight, I got there early and planted myself in one of the nearest (to the gate) non-disabled seats that directly faced the gate itself.

Originally Posted by maalloc
BTW: It was on March 31st that I missed the flight.

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Apr 2, 2024 at 6:28 am
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28

Three people in this thread missed their flight and were accommodated on a later flight for free. Perhaps KLM has an unpublished flat tire rule?

Last edited by BigFlyer; Apr 2, 2024 at 9:11 pm
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:23 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Maybe it is that they try to be not too harsh to their customers if a force majeure or an obvious stupidity happened. All people above feel grateful which helps building customer loyalty. It is very unlikely you will still sell a free seat on a next days flight, particularly if interncontinental. So offering that to a customer for a small change fee (as in my case) or for free doesn't cost them really. THe alternative is they have a customer facing huge costs, and even if these people formally have to blame themselves, it will leave a sour feeling. The customer will likely try to find a cheap alternative to do their travel, unlikely chosing KLM for the one-way flight so actually helping a competitor having more turnover.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:43 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I can't really understand how the OP managed to miss a connection after arriving 4hrs before at AMS.
There are displays all over the place showing flight departure times and the current LOCAL time.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:02 am

Very interesting DP, thanks for sharing.

Not long ago, AF had zero mercy when my 2h margin turned into a 3h delay because the airport highway got closed after a cow invasion. Airport was a ghost town and according to staff there, most planes took off quasi empty. But even rebooking fees were not waived (not mentioning price difference of course).

So it’s definitely not group policy. Maybe OP identified something KL is better than AF at?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by b12e

Good to read the positive experiences with KL here. I had some as well and that was nice.
But I don't like to be dependant on which agent picks your call and from my experience it is really like that who is handling your request making it a lottery whether you succeed or not. It should not be like that!
Anyway as long it works like this, each time to be rebooked for free is a bonus.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikem004
I can't really understand how the OP managed to miss a connection after arriving 4hrs before at AMS.
There are displays all over the place showing flight departure times and the current LOCAL time.
I wasn't within view of any of these and I thought my laptop time was one hour out, but that very day it had changed to two hours out. It was only when I saw the time on my mobile phone that I realised what had happened, but it was too late. My laptop is provided by my work, and it's one of their policies that they cannot be connected to time servers but must have a fixed region.

Thinking back over my previous near misses, most of them happened when there was plenty of time and I zoned out a bit. In general I make mistakes more when I'm tired, and I don't sleep well on planes. Zoning out is part of that. When I arrive with officially 'too little time' I'm highly focussed on making the connection and tend not to make a mistake.

There are a number of other changes I'm already making that should prevent this happening again.
Verboten likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.