Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Can you use the non-Schengen lounge before a connection to a Schengen flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you use the non-Schengen lounge before a connection to a Schengen flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given what the boarding pass shows, they would. But KLM has never prohibited me from using whichever KLM lounge I’ve wanted to use at AMS as long as entitled to any KL lounge access at AMS on the day.

Passport control at AMS may care more — they don’t always care — about crossing between the Schengen and non-Schengen sides, but the KL lounge personnel don’t seem to care to stop it.

OK but I thought we were talking about the other way around (nonShengen -Schenger)
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
OK but I thought we were talking about the other way around (nonShengen -Schenger)
Both ways, it has worked for me.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AntonS
As Delta PM you will have free lounge access and if I remember correctly free “plus” seats at booking or whatever they are called on KLM that have slightly more legroom in row 6 in Y.

Definitely lounge 52 departing to MAN.
does anyone know if there’s a secret to booking? When I try to book on KLM there’s a charge to choose seats and it offers me the option to pay for lounge access. I tried changing my FF account to my delta number and still the same. I tried booking the AMS-MAN flight on delta but it would only give me that option if I booked with miles. Normally I did not think you could ever book intra-Europe/UK flights on delta.com. Again, first time booking a sky team flight so not sure how to do so to be sure I get all skyteam elite+ benefits. The KLM site doesn’t appear to “know who I am”

Last edited by ostatekitty; Jan 4, 2023 at 9:59 pm Reason: Type
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:22 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by ostatekitty
does anyone know if there’s a secret to booking? When I try to book on KLM there’s a charge to choose seats and it offers me the option to pay for lounge access. I tried changing my FF account to my delta number and still the same. I tried booking the AMS-MAN flight on delta but it would only give me that option if I booked with miles. Normally I did not think you could ever book intra-Europe/UK flights on delta.com. Again, first time booking a sky team flight so not sure how to do so to be sure I get all skyteam elite+ benefits. The KLM site doesn’t appear to “know who I am”
Don't worry about the system offering you to buy lounge access. Just go in with your card. You should be able to select seats according to your status, maybe sometimes it does not import it properly... What is very important is to make sure you are not logged in to a Flying Blue account when managing your flight! In that case your FlyingBlue number will be filled in instead.

I am curious though, how are you Delta PM and flying SkyTeam for the first time? Credit card? Or do you mean you are booking for yourself for the first time?
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Don't worry about the system offering you to buy lounge access. Just go in with your card. You should be able to select seats according to your status, maybe sometimes it does not import it properly... What is very important is to make sure you are not logged in to a Flying Blue account when managing your flight! In that case your FlyingBlue number will be filled in instead.

I am curious though, how are you Delta PM and flying SkyTeam for the first time? Credit card? Or do you mean you are booking for yourself for the first time?
Sorry, I meant it's my first time flying a SkyTeam partner other than Delta!
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:56 pm

I went to the SkyTeam website & put in my info, was taken to KLM. I did not log in with Flying Blue account, and chose the “light” (cheapest) option and chose Delta as my FF account and put in my details. Choosing any of the more expensive fares would have meant paying for baggage allowance and seat selection, which I supposedly get as a SkyTeam Elite-plus (Delta PM). Once I proceeded, I only had an option to choose a seat at an extra cost, and I could only add a bag for an extra cost. Anyone know any other tips to book a KLM flight and get the SkyTeam benefits? I have googled and read everything on KLM, SkyTeam, Delta that I could find and I am only recognized when booking as any other first-time passenger on KLM with no status. The only other route I can think of is to book the “light” option and maybe if you go back in after booking you can then choose seats and get the extra baggage allowance SkyTeam Elite+ supposedly get? I’m hesitant to try that.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
If I recall correctly then as skyteam partner elite plus you will only be able to select the seats for free by managing the booking after it has been made, not during the booking process itself. Don't worry about the baggage, you will for sure get that for free.
ostatekitty likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by dkeng
If I recall correctly then as skyteam partner elite plus you will only be able to select the seats for free by managing the booking after it has been made, not during the booking process itself. Don't worry about the baggage, you will for sure get that for free.
Thank you! I sent a message using the SkyTeam contact us form. If I find out any other tips about this process I will post them.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:43 am

Thank you! I sent a message using the SkyTeam contact us form. If I find out any other tips about this process I will post them.
I never had problems selecting row 6 on KLM website after booking (usually through Delta) and adding my frequent flyer number.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: FB Plat
This doesn't even require talking to any lounge dragon, you get into either lounge scanning your boarding pass at the entry and should be green. You can not only use either one when connecting from NS to S (in business class or having FB status), but you can even use both in the same day. I've done that often with long connections.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 3:59 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
This booking would be with KLM, so if you really want to contact somebody it would have to be them. However, personally I believe that it should be fine if you are Delta Platinum. This is what Delta has on their website:

SKYTEAM ELITE PLUS STATUS
When you fly with any of the 20 SkyTeam partner airlines, you’ll be given SkyTeam Elite Plus status, offering benefits like Priority Baggage Handling, lounge access around the world(10) and more.

(10) Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members traveling in any cabin on a same-day, international SkyTeam flight receive access to SkyTeam lounges (SkyTeam partner-operated and SkyTeam branded lounges; excludes travel to/from the Caribbean, Guam and Saipan when traveling in Main Cabin) and any Delta Sky Club® for you and a guest as part of your SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits.
Furthermore, this is what the general Skyteam alliance says about your status:

​​​​​​​

In other words, if you make sure that you include your Delta frequent flier number when booking any Skyteam partner airline (e.g. KLM) you will be granted those benefits every time. Do make sure that you are not logged in to Flying Blue programme when booking so that you can register your Delta frequent flyer number in the booking, this will make getting the benefits granted much easier/automatic.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:22 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
If you go to klm.com, and open your trip using the My Trip option and "logging in" using PNR and last name, you should be able to select a seat for free, as long as your Skymiles number is associated with the reservation.

It is correct that you can not do that while making the reservation itsself. For some reason, KL's system does not recognize partner frequent flyer status in the booking engine, except for Flying Blue elites that are logged in to KLM's website.

But after your reservation is made, the systems will sync and your Delta medallion status will be reflected on klm.com. As platinum medallion, you'll be able to select every seat on the plane for free, including Economy Comfort seats. You should also see your extra baggage allowance and lounge access reflected. If not, your frequent flyer number might be incorrect. It is not possible to change that online, but you can call KLM; any agent can change that for you instantly.

Do not - I repeat: DO NOT - log in using a flying blue account and link your reservation, or make a reservation while logged in as a Flying Blue member if you hold status with another Skyteam airline. If you do, KLM will automagically link your reservation to your Flying Blue account and miles/XP's will always credit to Flying Blue, whatever frequent flyer number is listed in the passenger details. You can call them and have them remove your Flying Blue number and put your Skymiles number back in. After doing that, make sure you are /not/ logged in to klm.com and always open your reservation using the My Trip option and use PNR (booking code)/lastname to access your reservation.
Lomapaseo and AnaTFN like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: UA PP / DL PM
Thank you for this information.

We are traveling IAH-AMS-BER in J on a Monday in mid-May; arriving AMS 0715; leaving at 1015. The consensus seems to be that we should have access to Lounge 52 (non-Schengen).

1. Just curious - is this because we are arriving from a non-Schengen country?

2. If we would like to visit Lounge 52, is this the following the approximate sequence?

a. deplane
b. proceed to Lounge 52
c. after leaving Lounge 52, cross into the Schengen area of the airport *
d. proceed to departure gate

Q: * Is fast track passport control available?
Q: How long should we budget for our connection from Lounge 52 to our departure gate and transiting passport control?

3. Will we need to pass through security while in AMS? If so, is a fastrack option available?

4. We have minimal needs for our time in the lounge: decent coffee, hot water for tea, a modest amount of food to hold us over until lunch in BER, and a nice shower ("nice" = hot water with decent pressure and not a huge wait). The pictures of 52 look nice, but if we are striving for efficiency, should we skip 52 and head to 25 instead?

Apologies for the large number of questions. I have not transited at a Schengen airport before - only arrival or departures.

I don't think it matters, because we redeemed KLM miles for the trip, but I am DL PM as well.

Thank you very much, FT Friends.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by Amarillo By Morning
Thank you for this information.

We are traveling IAH-AMS-BER in J on a Monday in mid-May; arriving AMS 0715; leaving at 1015. The consensus seems to be that we should have access to Lounge 52 (non-Schengen).

1. Just curious - is this because we are arriving from a non-Schengen country?

2. If we would like to visit Lounge 52, is this the following the approximate sequence?

a. deplane
b. proceed to Lounge 52
c. after leaving Lounge 52, cross into the Schengen area of the airport *
d. proceed to departure gate

Q: * Is fast track passport control available?
Q: How long should we budget for our connection from Lounge 52 to our departure gate and transiting passport control?

3. Will we need to pass through security while in AMS? If so, is a fastrack option available?

4. We have minimal needs for our time in the lounge: decent coffee, hot water for tea, a modest amount of food to hold us over until lunch in BER, and a nice shower ("nice" = hot water with decent pressure and not a huge wait). The pictures of 52 look nice, but if we are striving for efficiency, should we skip 52 and head to 25 instead?

Apologies for the large number of questions. I have not transited at a Schengen airport before - only arrival or departures.

I don't think it matters, because we redeemed KLM miles for the trip, but I am DL PM as well.

Thank you very much, FT Friends.
1. No. Because you are a DL PM, you are granted access to any KLM lounge.

2. Sounds right for the sequence. The other questions are clarified in the Mess in AMS wiki on the top and in the thread as this is commonly asked. It shouldn't take too long for a NS-S transit and queues for passport control do not usually take too long.

3. No. The US flights are "secure" flights so you do not need to go through security (secure areas are the Mess in AMS wiki)

4. The NS Lounge can get packed in the mornings, so if you want to shower, try getting to the lounge as soon as you can. Personally, I like the NS Crown Lounge's English Breakfast spread that they have and the coffee isn't bad in my opinion.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by physicsdude
Personally, I like the NS Crown Lounge's English Breakfast spread that they have
🥴

(Now that Murphy's is open again, I wonder if they're doing the Irish breakfast again?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.