Priority Baggage Delivery At LHR

Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:20 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Priority Baggage Delivery At LHR

Hi All

Am flying to LHR next week on a KQ/KL itinerary via NBO and AMS. Haven’t flown on KLM for a vast number of years. Flying in J so hold baggage should have priority labels. Mostly fly BA which means absolutely zero at LHR for priority baggage. Hoping a bit different for KLM. Have a good track record on KQ around Africa.

Anyone got any recent experience of priority baggage delivery at LHR T3. Working out onward transport plans to get to LCY and depending on how long an average wait is means either a private car hire or public transport. Not helped by the fact that there are train strikes on my arrival date!

Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Do not expect priority tags to have any relevance what so ever for the sequence of bags on the belt.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
It does not matter what the airline does but what the handler at a given airport does. It does not appear that KLM has a good record at their own airport even. I've had better results with aviapartner.

Anyway if Elizabeth line is running on your dates, I don't know that a private car hire can beat it. Takes about an hour from T3 to "near" LCY where you can catch a bus or DLR for the rest of the way. All in all about 1:15 travel time. I am sceptical a car could beat it during the day. And if cost is not much of a consideration, you can cut 15 minutes or so by taking Heathrow Express and changing to Elizabeth in Paddington.
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 7:58 am

Or if you need to be at LCY, book a flight to LCY.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:16 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by dkeng
Or if you need to be at LCY, book a flight to LCY.
Unfortunately this wasn’t the original plan. Planned rail strikes put a stop to that. Might call KQ and see if I can get swapped to LCY. This wasn’t an option when I originally booked.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Unfortunately this wasn’t the original plan. Planned rail strikes put a stop to that. Might call KQ and see if I can get swapped to LCY. This wasn’t an option when I originally booked.
I figured there was probably a good reason, but couldn’t resist the opportunity for a slightly snide remark.

I do agree that if Elizabeth line is running on your travel day, that is almost certainly a better choice than a car service to travel from LHR to LCY.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 1:04 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkeng
I figured there was probably a good reason, but couldn’t resist the opportunity for a slightly snide remark.

I do agree that if Elizabeth line is running on your travel day, that is almost certainly a better choice than a car service to travel from LHR to LCY.
Broad shoulders 😬. I was originally going to take the Caledonian Sleeper up to Glasgow. Something I’ve been thinking about doing for a while now but with the train strikes most likely to interfere with that, gave it a wide swerve! Decided just to get to LCY to get the first flight to GLA rather than staying at LHR and wasting half the day for the first available flight from there.

I tried on the KQ site to see if LCY flights were available but unfortunately not. Only to LHR. I assume they must only codeshare with KLM on the LHR flights.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:21 pm

Night trains are marvelous. I should know, I've used them extensively in my time (not in the UK though).

Still, I don't get your schedule. There's plenty of GLA flights, but KQ into AMS and a connection to either LON doesn't get you into either airport before late afternoon, despite that, you have a good choice of flights to GLA into late evening? And you can fly to either GLA or EDI from AMS also, if you are changing your ticket anyway?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I tried on the KQ site to see if LCY flights were available but unfortunately not. Only to LHR. I assume they must only codeshare with KLM on the LHR flights.
KQ does codeshare on KLM flights to City Airport (not that it is even a prerequisite that a codeshare should exist in order for KQ to sell you a ticket on any KLM service to LCY); LCY is selectable as a destination on the KQ website.

Of course, whether you could now get them to change your issued ticket to LCY rather than LHR is another matter!

Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Night trains are marvelous. I should know, I've used them extensively in my time (not in the UK though).
From this summer...

Still, I don't get your schedule. There's plenty of GLA flights, but KQ into AMS and a connection to either LON doesn't get you into either airport before late afternoon, despite that, you have a good choice of flights to GLA into late evening? And you can fly to either GLA or EDI from AMS also, if you are changing your ticket anyway?
Indeed, it would seem to make more sense to seek to fly up to Scotland from AMS, but it seems the Caledonian Sleeper is something of a "bucket list" item.

I'm not sure I'd want to do it the night after a longhaul flight though!
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:51 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
KQ does codeshare on KLM flights to City Airport (not that it is even a prerequisite that a codeshare should exist in order for KQ to sell you a ticket on any KLM service to LCY); LCY is selectable as a destination on the KQ website.

Of course, whether you could now get them to change your issued ticket to LCY rather than LHR is another matter!

I’m starting my journey in FIH and LCY did not come up in the search on the KQ desktop site or App.

On the App or website, from FIH, the only UK destination I could select was LHR.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Unfortunately on the website and App checking on different dates and for both GLA & EDI got the below response. I originally planned Tue/Wed flying. Sleeper Wednesday night getting me home early in the morning however strikes put paid to that. Checking on the BA website there were only late morning options showing so opted for the first flight out of LCY as I’ve got appointments early afternoon when I get home hence the now convoluted itinerary.

Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:06 pm

I’m starting my journey in FIH and LCY did not come up in the search on the KQ desktop site or App.

On the App or website, from FIH, the only UK destination I could select was LHR.
For me it shows up. But I still don't get it, however I cut it, KQ will only show me options which get you to AMS mid afternoon and to London (LHR or LCY) no earlier than late afternoon. Otherwise to LHR you can get early in the day, but not via AMS? Only via KQ direct flight to LHR or via Paris.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

I would have got the direct LHR flight had it not been Ł1000+ more expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.