Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM lack of TSA PreCheck from CONUS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
KLM lack of TSA PreCheck from CONUS

Could not find how to enter KTN for TSA Precheck for my flight tomorrow SFO to AMS. Called help line, gave them my KTN twice after explaining what TSA Precheck was…of course when checking in online, digital boarding pass doesn’t show TSA Precheck… am advised to check in at counter…anyone else have this issue?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Apollosmom
Could not find how to enter KTN for TSA Precheck for my flight tomorrow SFO to AMS. Called help line, gave them my KTN twice after explaining what TSA Precheck was…of course when checking in online, digital boarding pass doesn’t show TSA Precheck… am advised to check in at counter…anyone else have this issue?
It can also be done during check-in.

There is info about this also in this thread:

Originally Posted by smartytravel
Go to your reservation.
  • Passenger details
  • Under "Important information" section find: Advance Passenger Information (API) details.
  • Click "Enter API details."
  • Add a travel document
  • From "Document type" select "Known Traveler"
You can add this information at any time. I recommend doing it sooner rather than later.

Does the KLM Website Really Not Have a Place to Enter a Trusted Traveler Number?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:15 am

I used TSA Pre Check with KLM for the first time last week. I entered my KTN in the same place as I entered my other API details. When I checked in online and downloaded the boarding pass to my phone, there was no TSA Pre indicator or logo anywhere to be seen. When I got to the check in counter, I asked the agent and she confirmed my KTN was showing in the system. When she printed the paper boarding pass, the TSA Pre indicator was there. I then deleted and re-downloaded the BP on my phone and TSA Pre logo showed. I was thinking perhaps the document checks need to happen in person before before TSA Pre BP status is confirmed?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ABZSimy
I used TSA Pre Check with KLM for the first time last week. I entered my KTN in the same place as I entered my other API details. When I checked in online and downloaded the boarding pass to my phone, there was no TSA Pre indicator or logo anywhere to be seen. When I got to the check in counter, I asked the agent and she confirmed my KTN was showing in the system. When she printed the paper boarding pass, the TSA Pre indicator was there. I then deleted and re-downloaded the BP on my phone and TSA Pre logo showed. I was thinking perhaps the document checks need to happen in person before before TSA Pre BP status is confirmed?
For any given non-US airline that is made eligible for PreCheck, there have been times when some airline point of check-ins for issuing boarding passes (for PreCheck-eligible flights) aren’t enabled (or are temporarily disabled) for issuing PreCheck boarding passes while other point of check-ins for the very same flights are enabled to issue PreCheck boarding passes.

Sometimes have had situations where my OLCI for Schengen-US flights came with electronic/mobile/PDF PreCheck boarding passes but then my going to the airports kiosks for a boarding pass printout for the very same flight would not kick out a PreCheck boarding pass. In some of those cases, I went to the staffed check-in counters and simply asked them to pull up my reservations and print out a boarding pass …. and voilŕ, a paper PreCheck boarding pass more often than not.
ABZSimy likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:25 am

I’m the kind of person who would book a refundable ticket on another airline just to get pre-check rather than stand in the check in line. I could have the new boarding pass ready while I’m still standing in the pre-check line. As soon as I clear security, cancel the other ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sometimes have had situations.
Haven't we all. Vague statements of this kind are not of any use to those trying to figure out how KLM handles TSA PreCheck®.

Perhaps you would care to share your amazing wealth of flying experience by providing some detailed and helpful information, such as . . .

- which airlines?
- from which airports?
- to which destinations?
- what has TSA PreCheck® got to do with flights from Schengen?
- what's the point of getting a BP from a kiosk or check-in desk when the electronic one already comes with
TSA PreCheck®?
- care to speculate why certain points of check-in are enabled, not enabled, or temporarily disabled for
TSA PreCheck®?

Come on, do enlighten us!

Johan
Old Oct 19, 2022, 1:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nd2010
I’m the kind of person who would book a refundable ticket on another airline just to get pre-check rather than stand in the check in line. I could have the new boarding pass ready while I’m still standing in the pre-check line. As soon as I clear security, cancel the other ticket.
While your plan wouldn’t make a difference for your US-bound international flights, for US-departing flights you may want to factor in the following: what happens when you’re checked in for one departing flight with PreCheck while your other same-day flight (from the same US airport) doesn’t have you assigned with PreCheck but you happen upon the TSA TDC using your ID — and not your boarding pass — to determine whether or not you’re to be processed as a PreCheck passenger at their screening checkpoint or not.

Maybe around the first week of November I’ll get around to doing what you would do and see how it goes with a KLM check-in without PreCheck at ORD while also having checked in for a later same-day flight out of ORD with PreCheck. Would be curious to see what the default outcome would be when the TSA TDCer may rely upon an ID electronic scan feed instead of a boarding pass check to determine whether or not I am to proceed to PreCheck screening at an ORD T5 screening checkpoint that day.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: FB Plat
I've never had an issue with KLM/AF and TSAPreCheck. The key is to ensure the name is exactly as it is in your passport and what was used to register with the TSA. In my case I had to adjust my profile to be FIRST MIDDLE LAST as that's how it is in my passport. As others have mentioned, then you simply add you KTN to the API section.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
Follow up to my original posting…showed up at SFO early and went to the lonely KLM counter….showed my passport and iWallet….gave them my KTN…minute later I had a paper tix with TSAPreCheck and more import, Sky Priority….zipped thru security and a few minutes later, was able to chill in the small Air France lounge. Funny, my KLM return flight online check in had TSA Precheck posted again, along with SkyPriority.
AnaTFN and ABZSimy like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 2:18 am

I’m heading back to the US tomorrow. This time after OLCI, I got my mobile BP with TSA Pre on it (seems a bit pointless) . The BP also has the “Ready to Fly” indicator at the top, whereas I don’t think it did in the other direction until I had a paper BP printed At the airport.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ABZSimy
I’m heading back to the US tomorrow. This time after OLCI, I got my mobile BP with TSA Pre on it (seems a bit pointless) . The BP also has the “Ready to Fly” indicator at the top, whereas I don’t think it did in the other direction until I had a paper BP printed At the airport.
Having PreCheck on the US-bound trip's boarding passes comes with reduced chances of being subjected to the gate-area SSSS screening process for US-bound flights.
ABZSimy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.