KLM economy baggage allowance

Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive club
KLM economy baggage allowance

Hi, I wonder if someone on this board could help? I usually fly BA, but I need to take a quick flip from Hamburg to Schipol in Sept and KLM seems the best bet. I'm flying economy and I notice the hand baggage limit is a very skinny 12Kgs. As I'm on a trip lasting a week that could be a challenge. I'm used to packing for the BA allowance of 18Kgs. How seriously do KLM take this? Am I likely to get forced to check a bag in?
Any info gratefully received.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:56 am

While they do have a sizer and scale on standby somewhere behind the check-in desks I have never seen it used. If your bag is accepted as cabin baggage with BA then you won't have trouble taking it on KL.

(Are you bringing lead? I can't even get my large checked bag up to 18kg never mind my small cabin-size one).
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
(Are you bringing lead? I can't even get my large checked bag up to 18kg never mind my small cabin-size one).

When flying HBO I've known one of my carry-ons to weigh 13 kg. I've trained myself to lift bags that heavy to shoulder-height with my pinky and hold it there on an outstretched arm. Always works like a charm when flying on small regional (prop) planes with allowances of only 7 or 8 kg. When check-in or gate agents on occasion ask my how heavy my bag is, I just lift it up and say "light as a feather!".

Johan
Solevita and Didymis like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive club
Thanks both. Much appreciated!
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: OWE. KLM PE.
Originally Posted by CyBeR
While they do have a sizer and scale on standby somewhere behind the check-in desks I have never seen it used. If your bag is accepted as cabin baggage with BA then you won't have trouble taking it on KL.).
What could possibly go wrong with this guy's travel now he is assured he won't have a problem. Keep your heads down as BA FT poster flack could be coming your way soon
evol likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: United currently plat
I have to warn you, I just had big issues trying to board a KL flight ex-Berlin to AMS with my "regulation size" carry on wheeled bag. I had recently flown with the bag on AF, Aer Lingus, and BA with zero issues.

As i'm scanning my boarding pass the person working the desk tells me "I'm sorry but you must know your bag is way too large to be brought on board, we're going to have to gate check it" to which I replied that this is impossible as I had an ongoing flight on UA, I'd never make the flight if I have to exit the secure area and collect my bag and re-enter security. When I tell you this guy could not care less, he was a total tyrant and would only respond things like "I suggest you read the contract that was issued when you bought your ticket"

I walked down the jet bridge with the tagged bag and decided to bring it on to the plane with me. The FA noticed the bag tag and I pleaded my case with them. One FA was very sympathetic but the purser took a harder line and said he'll see what he can do. In the end, the cabin crew intervened and I was able to keep my bag as carrt-on. They were truly awesome and I came away from my first ever KL flight feeling that the cabin crew genuinely cared and understood my situation (knowing all too well what's going on at AMS), and there was literally still room in the bin above my seat after the whole plane had boarded.

All that to say BE CAREFUL WITH GERMAN OUTSTATION AGENTS! you never know where or when you'll be "kontrolled"
johan rebel and Didymis like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.