Lounge experience for end of day flights/arrivals

Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Lounge experience for end of day flights/arrivals

I just flew KL 1080 MAN AMS with 18:15 scheduled departure. Got to the airport 2 hours before, tried to go through Fast Track, got a lecture from the guy about how Sky Priority doesn’t give you Fast Track and why do “you people” always think it does? And then he let me through anyway, but it was anything but “Fast” with so many bags sent to secondary inspection that the whole belt was jammed.

Then I got to the Escape/1903 lounge desk where they were telling all KLM passengers that they were letting us in as a “special kindness” to the 1903 Lounge because KLM only contracts with the Escape Lounge, which closes at 17:00. Again, the flight is scheduled for 18:15, and it was eventually delayed by an hour. 1903 is a fine lounge and the staff were nice enough but they made it very clear that we were not supposed to be there. Was this the very first day this flight has operated? Or do they put on this show every afternoon? Anyway, if it is true that KLM doesn’t actually pay for a lounge for passengers on this last flight of the day, I don’t blame the staff at all.

I arrived at AMS and went straight to Lounge 52, which is supposedly open until 22:00. There was plenty of staff there and they let me in no problem, but everything was already shut down at 21:30. No food and no bar, fair enough, but even the water fountains were shut off. I asked if I could get water and I was told to go drink water in the toilet “because this is how we do it in Holland”. I think they should probably just say that they close at 21:30 (but then they would shut everything off at 21:00, and so on).
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeppityDawg
“because this is how we do it in Holland”.
Who on earth came up with the idea that the Dutch are so direct?

Johan
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Then I got to the Escape/1903 lounge desk where they were telling all KLM passengers that they were letting us in as a “special kindness” to the 1903 Lounge because KLM only contracts with the Escape Lounge, which closes at 17:00. Again, the flight is scheduled for 18:15, and it was eventually delayed by an hour.

Last month, I was on the 20:45 KLM flight from DUB. I arrived at the lounge at 18:25 to be told it was closing at 18:30. And it did close shortly thereafter.

My flight that night didn't depart until 23:09.

I asked if I could get water and I was told to go drink water in the toilet “because this is how we do it in Holland”.

South Central does it like nobody does!
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:08 am

Programs: FB Platinum
From the MAN website:

Relax in a Terminal 2 lounge

Relax in one of Terminal 2's comfortable airport lounges while you wait for your KLM flight. Choose from Escape or adults-only 1903.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by PeteM01
From the MAN website:

Relax in a Terminal 2 lounge

Relax in one of Terminal 2's comfortable airport lounges while you wait for your KLM flight. Choose from Escape or adults-only 1903.
It looks like they just took the old T1 page and simply replaced Terminal 1 with Terminal 2.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210729...operators/klm/
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:16 am

I contacted 1903 and asked about KLM business passenger access to the lounge. They were unable (or unwilling) to tell me if access was allowed (as per the website) and advised m to contact KLM…waiting for a reply now.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:32 am

While I am waiting, I see that the Skyteam lounge finder has been updated for MAN:

Escape Lounge

Terminal 2 – Proceed through security and then head through Duty Free. The lounge is located on the mezzanine level. Follow the signs for “Escape Lounge”.
Opening hours:
05:00 - 17:00 After 17:00, our customers are accepted in the 1903 Lounge which is open until 20:00.

Presumably, this is contracted access, so not a ‘special kindness’…
Solevita likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:48 pm

After a bizarre twitter exchange with KLM, I am none the wiser as to the availability of FastTrack security for KLM J pax or FB Gold/Plat at MAN. They cannot tell me if there is a contract to provide access and advised asking MAN. MAN told me to ask KLM…
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: FB Gold, Privium, NL Amex Plat Hotel Programs
Originally Posted by PeteM01
After a bizarre twitter exchange with KLM, I am none the wiser as to the availability of FastTrack security for KLM J pax or FB Gold/Plat at MAN. They cannot tell me if there is a contract to provide access and advised asking MAN. MAN told me to ask KLM…
For what it's worth I used Security FastTrack at MAN at the beginning of June flying Economy with FB Gold.
PeteM01 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by titan4
For what it's worth I used Security FastTrack at MAN at the beginning of June flying Economy with FB Gold.
And I used it in May as FB Plat without problems.. Well, not entirely without problems, it took like 15 minutes because for some reason it was also the line staff were using, but no problems related to access.
PeteM01 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.