Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

No checked bags allowed for flights with a connection in Europe on 21 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No checked bags allowed for flights with a connection in Europe on 21 July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
But there is not.

The was a malfunction yesterday evening, which was resolved quickly, says Luchtvaartnieuws.

According to the same article, Schiphol says they have no idea why KLM isn't allowing Intra-European transfer pax to check bags.

​​​​​​Johan
Then it indeed does not make sense. Maybe KLM asked their IT department yesterday to send out the message, created a ticket for it, and it was processed this morning. The "DONT SEND THE WARNING!!!!" ticket is still in backlog and will be processed in a few weeks, similar to their EU261 claims.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:16 am

According to the NOS article the malfunction was indeed yesterday but this caused a huge backlog of baggage, and by denying checked bags to those people most likely to be able to travel without (i.e. intra-european transfer pax) they hope to create enough space in the operations to get rid of said backlog.
dkeng and b12e like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Anyone seen Dick Benschop? Is he at least helping to move luggage?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gulbra

It seems you can choose between rebooking or a travel voucher.
Originally Posted by CyBeR
According to the NOS article the malfunction was indeed yesterday but this caused a huge backlog of baggage, and by denying checked bags to those people most likely to be able to travel without (i.e. intra-european transfer pax) they hope to create enough space in the operations to get rid of said backlog.
If you look at the text message, it says "transfer to any European destination". Unless this message was only sent to passengers originating from European airports it would mean that it actually affects passengers from anywhere to somewhere in Europe transiting AMS.
Buster CT1K and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by b12e
Then it indeed does not make sense. Maybe KLM asked their IT department yesterday to send out the message, created a ticket for it, and it was processed this morning. The "DONT SEND THE WARNING!!!!" ticket is still in backlog and will be processed in a few weeks, similar to their EU261 claims.
My EU261/241 claim got processed this week - but they completely ignored the request for duty-of-care compensation included and when I look up the claim they removed that additional compensation claim from the ticket
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
Anyone seen Dick Benschop? Is he at least helping to move luggage?
I think the movers have arrived at his office, and are currently helping him remove all his personal belongings.
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by irishguy28
that's plain wrong.

Since the first meltdown in late April, there has (continuously, I am pretty sure) been a "change without fare difference" waiver in place for tickets from, to, or via Amsterdam within defined time windows:

Here's the current iteration:

https://www.klm.nl/information/trave...-waiting-times

If your flight (or whoever's flight this is that you are talking about) falls within the relevant date range, and was bought prior to 8 July, then just go the website and change it yourself. It should allow you to change for no additional fee.

Note that the relevant dates are updated each week...
The ticket belongs to my mother-in-law who is visiting a friend. Her ticket was bought on July 15, which is why the US-based agent I was dealing with last night refused to waive the fare difference. They did not see a separate waiver in the system for the July 21 restrictions on checked luggage. The website did not allow free changes either; that was the first thing we tried.

Fortunately, the agents answering the Spanish call centre this morning were much more accommodating and moved her ticket to the 28th at no charge and without fuss. I suppose it's a resolution that works for her since there is no extra lodging expense or missed work involved. Kinda wonder what a family on a holiday that actually had to be somewhere on a specific date (due to school or work obligations) would have had to do.
irishguy28, miles4CDG and Arpoador like this.

Last edited by legalalien; Jul 23, 2022 at 9:45 am
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Just checked in at GVA. The agent was certainly aware of this situation.

there was a number of passengers in line with large suitcases, but I did not hang around to see what was happening - certainly possible they were all in transit to long haul.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I am not traveling until August, so this particular warning didn't affect me. But, even as a sophisticated traveler, I don't "understand" what they are saying. If I had gone to LAX, for a two week trip where I am meeting family in Italy, with my checked bags (an hour from my home), and walked to the check-in line for KLM (2 hours before my flight, because that is reasonable for business class), I don't understand what would have actually happened. They would have refused to check me in? I was supposed to leave my suitcases for 2 weeks at LAX? They would have suggested that I stay in a hotel and go the next day once the warning expired? (They don't have 2 business class even available from LAX-AMS-Italy most days this summer.)
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Reading so far, sounds like horrific mishandling by KLM rather than Schiphol.

AF and DL, which transport many passengers to AMS to connect to KL, have no such advisory that I can find on their websites.
atflyer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I looked at the KLM website, and the FAQ now has better information. They say the goal was to have more space on the planes for delivery of previously delayed baggage (baggage system has been fixed). Doesn't apply to long-haul or origin in AMS. However, it doesn't answer any of my other questions like "What I am supposed to do with two suitcases while I am checking-in at LAX?"
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
The decision seems to have been made around 10 pm last night. At that point many long hauls will have been already airborne. I suppose it’s possible someone was rejected for the latest departures yesterday, although I haven’t seen that confirmed.

No one will be rejected at LAX today since that flight arrives tomorrow.

Captain on KL1932 claimed that KLM would offer to ship luggage on a routing not via AMS while the passenger flies as booked. But this was shot down immediately by a passenger sat near me who had this option rejected both in phone conversations with KLM and at checkin.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sbrower
I looked at the KLM website, and the FAQ now has better information.
from the FAQ:

To prevent passengers from being harmed further, measures are in place on Thursday 21 July. Passengers departing from a European destination and flying to another European destination – with a transfer in Amsterdam – can only take hand baggage with them. Alternatively, passengers can rebook their flight.

This measure does not apply to passengers departing from the Netherlands and does also not apply to passengers whose final destination is Amsterdam.

Taking this measure gives us room to send as many suitcases as possible that were left behind on Wednesday.
So they “harmed” a ton of passengers on Wednesday who didn’t get their bags due to the malfunction. Now their plan is to deny travel with checked bags to thousands of additional passengers in order to get the delayed bags to the already impacted passengers. They had to chose between two evils, but In my opinion they picked the wrong one. And then they did a p*as poor job communicating that.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: FB Gold
My guess is they were trying to avoid a repeat of what happened at Roissy earlier in the month.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
from the FAQ:

So they “harmed” a ton of passengers on Wednesday who didn’t get their bags due to the malfunction. Now their plan is to deny travel with checked bags to thousands of additional passengers in order to get the delayed bags to the already impacted passengers. They had to chose between two evils, but In my opinion they picked the wrong one. And then they did a p*as poor job communicating that.
I wouldnt be surprised if the choice not to allow luggage on certain flights was (partially) taken because physical space runs out to store the left overs.

Not accepting luggage creates both space and available manpower to reduce the mountain of lost luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.