Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

No checked bags allowed for flights with a connection in Europe on 21 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No checked bags allowed for flights with a connection in Europe on 21 July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by legalalien
Trying to get help from a US based agent with no luck - they are not aware of any waivers to the standard policy (cancel w/voucher or pay fare difference).
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Amazingly, they aren't offering the option of cancelling for a refund if you need to travel with checked bags..

It seems you can choose between rebooking or a travel voucher.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Gulbra

It seems you can choose between rebooking or a travel voucher.
The email doesn't explicitly say "rebook without fare difference". They're willing to rebook for next Tuesday ... for "only" €743 extra.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
This announcement was only posted a few hours ago. By the time they posted the message, lots of people had already packed their bags, some were on their way to the airport, some had already checked-in their bags, heck, some flights had already departed bound for AMS. Those flights were in the air before the warning was posted!

It's insane to post a note like that just a few hours before it goes into effect -- don't these people have the slightest understanding about differences in time zones, and how long it takes to fly from one place to another? It seems they don't, because in just a few hours from now, a lot of passengers will be aboard flights landing at AMS who had checked their bags, and who will be connecting in Schiphol. Are they just going to toss all their checked bags in a pile (or make another pile next to the piles they already have)?

Really amazing how bad they are are running an airport.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
I guess this is better that accepting bags you cannot handle, but not by much. And surely they should waive the fare difference for rebookings in next few days...

I'm heading home this afternoon. Luckily my luggage is HBO sized but I look forward to seeing how this is handled at check in and gate...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
This has been happening before Covid and the current meltdown, as it occurred in September 2019 to me returning VCE-AMS-SFO. Fortunately was able to rebook through CDG on AF, but between this and the current fiasco, I am avoiding AMS since many years.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This has already happened about 10 days ago from ICN. Same message received from KL.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Does this AMS baggage mess rule apply to passengers for all other airlines flying to AMS too?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I don't understand why the system can apparently handle bags that are in transfer to destinations outside of Europe, but bags to destinations in Europe are a problem. What is "Europe" anyway?

I think we're slowly but surely getting to the point where either Schiphol and/or KLM are committing fraud because they are selling services they know they will not be able to render.
Sjoerd, nwflyboy, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by mfkne
I don't understand why the system can apparently handle bags that are in transfer to destinations outside of Europe, but bags to destinations in Europe are a problem. What is "Europe" anyway?
They probably wish to reduce strongly the amount of bags in the system and this is just an easy to understand and implement rule rather than a technical limitation.
irishguy28 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
Conveniently enough, this mainly affects KLM's competitors (and partners) a lot more than it affects KLM.
Something like 70% of all passengers at AMS are transferring, the majority using KLM on at least one of those connections.

The other airlines having hubs at AMS (easyjet, TUI, Transavia etc) don't really have a "connection" business model

This affects KLM far more than it affects any other airline.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is "Europe" anyway?
either the IATA definition, or else decided by whether KLM serves the destination using a single-aisle aircraft, would be my guess!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Tomorrow, hundreds of flights will depart from airports around the world, and they will head for AMS. Passengers will pack bags at their homes, knowing nothing about the latest troubles at AMS. Their bags will be accepted and checked in at airports around the world, tagged for transfers at AMS. Those planes will land at AMS, and bags will be shoveled in to the gaping maw that is Schiphol's baggage system. At that point, bags that are tagged with AMS as the destination will (presumably) be released to arriving passengers. But all bags that are tagged for an onward connection will be...held? Where? For how long?
In that story, while it is indeed credible that passengers will turn up at airports around the world for their KLM flights knowing that if their destination is elsewhere in Europe other than AMS their checked luggage will not be carried, it's not credible that the KLM check-in staff will not have been informed and that all checked luggage will be accepted and tagged as normal.

Instead of blithely checking everything in, those check-in agents will have "difficult conversations" for transit passengers, either persuading them to travel with just carry-on, or sending them to the ticket desks to get rebooked on routings that bypass AMS altogether.

And of course there will be passengers on more complex routings, checking in first in tiny outstations with a first sector handled by a partner airline oblivious to the latest KLM diktat, and therefore it is indeed likely that some passengers will be carried with checked luggage that KLM would rather not have. What will happen? That luggage will just enter the beast at Schiphol, probably miss the connection, and not be seen for the next few days/weeks.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by legalalien
The email doesn't explicitly say "rebook without fare difference". They're willing to rebook for next Tuesday ... for "only" €743 extra.
that's plain wrong.

Since the first meltdown in late April, there has (continuously, I am pretty sure) been a "change without fare difference" waiver in place for tickets from, to, or via Amsterdam within defined time windows:

Here's the current iteration:

https://www.klm.nl/information/trave...-waiting-times

My experience, from late May/early June, was that you could rebook yourself on the KLM website (or app; the website is easier to use though) for free, with no fees. However, you can only do this once (you would have to ring up for any further changes, at which stage I am not sure you would get the "no fare difference" waiver a second time, unless it was because your choice of new flight itself fell victim to cancellation etc).

If your flight (or whoever's flight this is that you are talking about) falls within the relevant date range, and was bought prior to 8 July, then just go the website and change it yourself. It should allow you to change for no additional fee.

Note that the relevant dates are updated each week, usually on a Friday or Saturday (I think). This means that tomorrow or Saturday, the dates shown below should change; presumably to: "issued on or before 15 July 2022"; "departing on 15 July up to and including 30 July 2022", "new departure date is before or on 6 August 2022" but don't hold me to that.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:36 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
I don't understand why the system can apparently handle bags that are in transfer to destinations outside of Europe, but bags to destinations in Europe are a problem.
I assume, if there is indeed a technical malfunction with the automated baggage system in Schiphol, that KLM will "manually" handle, so sort and load by hand, luggage. However, they can only handle so many pieces before that isn't possible any longer, hence the need for a serious reduction in luggage in the system.

This is a wild guess, but a plausible explanation to why "long haul" can still check bags.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by b12e
if there is indeed a technical malfunction with the automated baggage system in Schiphol.
But there is not.

The was a malfunction yesterday evening, which was resolved quickly, says Luchtvaartnieuws.

According to the same article, Schiphol says they have no idea why KLM isn't allowing Intra-European transfer pax to check bags.

​​​​​​Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.