Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unforeseen expense reimbursement

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Unforeseen expense reimbursement

Our flight around Thanksgiving (four months in the future) was cancelled and we were rebooked on the exact same flight, 24 hours later. This will require an additional night's lodging as well as meals. Does anyone have experience being reimbursed for this, as the expense is unforeseen from our original plans. If so, any idea of what they would consider reasonable? For three people, our AirBNB in Rome would be another $700 for another night.

From the KLM website:

"Unforeseen expenses​

If you had unforeseen expenses because of a delay or cancellation, such as extra costs for a lunch or a phone call, you can request a reimbursement."
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
In principle, they should pay for lodging for you, also food during the delay period.

I'd get it in writing whether they would arrange a hotel for you or reimburse the extra AirBnB night.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
In principle, they should pay for lodging for you, also food during the delay period.

I'd get it in writing whether they would arrange a hotel for you or reimburse the extra AirBnB night.
Are you sure, this flights leaves in november 2022.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by tgv2
Are you sure, this flights leaves in november 2022.
Yes. The right to care is not limited.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
It's almost inconceivable that, if you asked, the 3 of you could not be rebooked such that you depart and arrive on the originally-planned dates of travel.

I would advise you to call whoever you booked the ticket with (the travel agent you used, or the airline with whom you booked the ticket) to discuss alternative rerouting options.

If you booked directly with an airline, you may even be able to change the flights yourself using the "Manage my Booking" facility on their website.
Xandrios and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This is a bit more than the 15 euros reimbursement I got from them for some replacement sunscreen when my bag was a day late.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It's almost inconceivable that, if you asked, the 3 of you could not be rebooked such that you depart and arrive on the originally-planned dates of travel.

I would advise you to call whoever you booked the ticket with (the travel agent you used, or the airline with whom you booked the ticket) to discuss alternative rerouting options.

If you booked directly with an airline, you may even be able to change the flights yourself using the "Manage my Booking" facility on their website.
Yes, agreed. I hadn't wanted to bog everyone down with the specifics of what's already been done, but our party of eight is booked in three different manners:
(5) booked through FlyingBlue biz class on points
(2) booked through VirginAtlantic Flying Club, economy on points
(1) booked directly through KLM with cash

For the 5 biz class pax, I did call and rebook for the original dates on AirFrance. For the other three pax, who booked their flights as "Multi-city" for some reason the AirFrance return flight we have booked isn't an option for them. Yet when searching one ways, on Virgin Atlantic, it is an option. Virgin Atlantic cannot make the change without canceling and rebooking, which I am leary to do, lest it be some phantom award space I can see or something. If I go that route of canceling, I'll lose the rebooking protections I had, so that's why I'm leary. And I don't want to transfer more points into Virgin Atlantic to rebook and then cancel, as I don't want points orphaned there. Perhaps I wll attempt to call and confirm that they see availability as a one way, and then I'll feel more comfortable canceling and rebooking. As you all know, this all takes hours and hours to sort these days.

It seems odd to me that two different programs cannot find this flight's availability. When self-servicing the cash flight booked through KLM, this flight is not a return option.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

Good idea. I have messaged on twitter for specific confirmation. I'll report back, in the hopes it will be helpful for others, on the response.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:34 am
Original Poster

If it might be helpful to others, here is KLM's twitter response regarding compensation, which does not commit to any specific compensation, only that it will be considered.

My message: "Specifically in reference to our return KLM flight on November 29, which has been cancelled and rebooked for 24 hours later, requiring an additional overnight stay and meal expenses. Please provide clarification that your Unforeseen Expenses policy will cover an extended night in our AirBNB in Rome, which is approximately $700USD, plus meal expenses?"

KLM's twitter response: "I can understand that this was not how you expected your journey to go. Please note that submitting a request does not guarantee that you will be granted compensation. Rest assured that your request will be reviewed individually and carefully."
Old Jul 23, 2022, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm not clear why you are pursuing this. Is the idea that the 3 who can't travel will lead to a "free" night to be enjoyed by all 8 people? And that the other 5 will rebook their flights to a day later, to match the tickets flown by the 3? (If so, you will face an uphill struggle getting reimbursed for a party of eight when KLM only needs to pay a reasonable amount for a party of 3)

Or are you willing for the group to split up.and travel separately? (If so, I don't see why the 3 need to spend the extra night at all)
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
If KL accept to pay for this I would be very pleasantly surprised, but unless Im mistaken under law they have no obligation to whatsoever.

Your flight got modified with more than 2 weeks notice which means you are entitled to a full refund, or to a further change at your convenience (for example depart one day later too, if seats available), both of these free of charge to you. But there's no requirement to provide extra compensation for hotel nights at this early stage.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Your flight got modified with more than 2 weeks notice which means you are entitled to a full refund, or to a further change at your convenience (for example depart one day later too, if seats available), both of these free of charge to you. But there's no requirement to provide extra compensation for hotel nights at this early stage.
There is all requirement to provide hotels for travellers whose trip has been prolonged by the airline. The duty to care is not limited - not by external circumstances, not by time until departure. Forced overnight stay = airline pays.

Now whether airline has to pay for passengers chosen accommodation, that is another question entirely.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Indeed Fabo.sk you are correct.

Upon double checking whilst the compensation does not apply under EC/261 if cancelled more than 2 weeks prior, the duty of care does still apply, so I guess OP can look forward to a free hotel stay. Whether they will deem the amount requested "reasonable" is an entirely different story, given that you have ample time to make an airport hotel booking which won't cost an arm and a leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.