SkyPriority companions not allowed in AMS priority security

Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Presumably it's by AOC or whatever other distinction they make between airlines for contractual purposes.
Probably best to leave AOC out of the equation. The woke Squad would no doubt on the one hand strive for Marxist egalitarianism, yet on the other segregate and prioritize queueing pax according to race, gender, sexual predilection, and any number of other SJW criteria.

Johan
Carel1 and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Probably best to leave AOC out of the equation. The woke Squad would no doubt on the one hand strive for Marxist egalitarianism, yet on the other segregate and prioritize queueing pax according to race, gender, sexual predilection, and any number of other SJW criteria.

Johan
Wrong AOC, Johan!
johan rebel likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Interesting details, thanks.
The Schiphol page explains that these percentages are per airline. However how do you define 'an airline'? If KLM would include Transavia flights (Which, from what I understand, is basically a sub-brand of KLM)... then the average percentages would change quite dramatically as HV has zero premium passengers.

One thing I don't understand though, is that some airlines are actually not offering priority - even for their Elites or Business pax. If this service does not require a surcharge compared to regular non-prio pax, then why would any airline exclude themselves? I remember a few years ago when the priority security entrance was still manned, that they had a laminated page with logo's of Airlines and FFP's for the employee to be able to recognise which premium pax would be allowed, and which ones would not.
Seems to me the cleanest way is to distinguish by IATA code of operating airline. HV flight are then HV, KL are KL. Also all EZY flights are U2 whether EZY UK or EZY CH... not that that matters.

I'm thinking the difficulty of administration of separate payment of premium pax per airline, and discussions on who is allowed and who is not is what might have pushed AMS to the airportwide solution. By default, all airlines get allowance and that's it. No extra payment, no discussions if pax having access to security but not using it count, no pissed off pax because Air Astana refused to pay extra for 4 biz seats on their once weekly flight... You have it, use it or lose it. Maybe the lowcost airlines which have 0% premium pax by design can get a discount, maybe not.
johan rebel and Xandrios like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Try using a Ryanair boarding pass at the Skypriority access gate then
Easyjet and Transavia worked very recently so I don't see any issue.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Privium, NL Amex Plat Hotel Programs
Originally Posted by CyBeR
I guess it's also possible that outside of the documents airlines made specific agreements to not use priority lanes to reduce their fees (which I'm sure EasyJet and Ryanair would be the primary suspects for having done such a thing.)
Actually, both EasyJet and Ryanair offer Priority security at AMS under certain conditions. EasyJet with their EasyJet Plus card and Ryanair with Flexi Plus tickets.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:44 pm

Sky Priority / Business Class

Just booked a Bus. Class tix on KLM, will I have Sky Priority access?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y1)
Originally Posted by Safari22
Just booked a Bus. Class tix on KLM, will I have Sky Priority access?
Premium Comfort, Business and Economy Flex (In EU) tickets have SkyPriority, regardless of status, for the ticket holder only.

Last edited by b12e; Jul 10, 2022 at 2:48 pm
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:51 pm

Thanks for clarifying
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by b12e
Premium Comfort, Business and Economy Flex tickets have SkyPriority, regardless of status, for the ticket holder only.
SkyPrio voor Economy Flex holds for European flights only.
b12e likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
SkyPrio voor Economy Flex holds for European flights only.
thanks for that, added this nuance for future readers.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by titan4
Actually, both EasyJet and Ryanair offer Priority security at AMS under certain conditions. EasyJet with their EasyJet Plus card and Ryanair with Flexi Plus tickets.
Oh ok, that makes sense given AMS says they don't charge extra for it.

Of course I wouldn't know as I won't be caught dead anywhere near either of them.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:53 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I repeat myself here, but ..

Then become loyal to Delta or whoever offered SP extension.

This has never been a feature of KLM, FB or AMS. It only worked because Schiphol decided not to enforce access to priority lanes in the past.
This is something customers would never think to check. FB includes free lounge access for a companion, so it is fair to assume that they would also include priority check-in. You are correct about the rules but this is completely non-sensical. Just because something is done a certain way does not mean that it can't be changed.

Why would you give lounge access for companions but no priority check-in? Staff have probably been generous with exceptions in the past because they agree this makes no sense, too.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Staff have probably been generous with exceptions in the past because they agree this makes no sense, too.
It doesn't make no sense to me.

There's no immutable law of nature stating that airlines should all offer the same standardized bundle of benefits to the several elite tiers. They can pick and choose as they please.

As far as I'm concerned there are already too many pax chasing too few benefits. The fewer, the merrier, from my admittedly selfish perspective.

Johan
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
This is something customers would never think to check. FB includes free lounge access for a companion, so it is fair to assume that they would also include priority check-in. You are correct about the rules but this is completely non-sensical. Just because something is done a certain way does not mean that it can't be changed.

Why would you give lounge access for companions but no priority check-in? Staff have probably been generous with exceptions in the past because they agree this makes no sense, too.
For the same reason free EC seating doesn't apply to companions either, or free extra luggage allowance. Also, free companion lounge access isn't guaranteed (if the lounge is too full), although I never experienced my +1 being turned down.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:52 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
If the lounge is too full nothing is guaranteed. Traveling solo I've previously been asked to wait in line to enter the lounge; only after pointing out that I was flying business (in addition to STE+) was allowed immediate access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.