Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving in AMS - security or not for transit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by tourguide
Actually, my question was: where does the transit security, if coming from an unsecure city/country take place? And how do they separate pax with destination AMS at that point who (i agree with you Johan) definitely don't undergo this screening from passengers who do have a connection and thus, should undergo the screening? I have never seen transfer security facilities? All other answers are a bit vague..
However, thanks for your suggestions, please don't fight over it, i was just wondering
when you get off the flight; at some point there's these "go straight through the no-return gates for AMS" which then takes you to the passport control and luggage pickup areas, and "go right for transit" at which point you end up at transit security, eventually ending up on the upper level of the lounge 2 (non-schengen commercial area near the passport control filter to go to schengen) in between D and E gates.

It's a dedicated area on the level above where you'd normally walk to go to piers D, E, F, G specifically for these flights.

Last edited by b12e; Jul 2, 2022 at 4:16 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
It may well be that "some have had to" (I'll take your word for it, but please do give some concrete examples), but such case are surely so rare that there is no point in confounding the issue.
I'm sure it's less "some have had to" and more "some were unable to follow the correct signs".
Fabo.sk, Billyfergus and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:58 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
Originally Posted by tourguide
I have no experience with coming from an unsecure country and thus having to go through security airside to connect let's say to the USA. I am just wondering: where does this security screening take place? Because once you are off the plane and out of the gate area, where would they catch you if you are coming from let's say ACC? Or is there security at the gate upon arrival? Just curious
The answer has already been given, but to make it clear:

The concourses have multiple levels. For both departing flights and arriving flights from secure origins, the gates are connected to the standard level, which is the normal airside area with shops, bars, etc.

If an inbound flight originated from a non-secure airport, they simply close some doors and open others at the gate, causing you to deplane into the upper level of the concourse, which is completely seperate from the level below. On that level, you still walk towards the terminal building, where you have two options: one is to exit towards the baggage hall, the other is to go through transit security and end up airside on the level below.

As soon as the plane is empty, they change over the door configuration at the gate so the plane can be boarded again from the standard airside area.

There is yet another exception: flights from CUR and other Carribean islands: they deplane onto the top floor but into a special area where /all/ passengers and cabin luggage are screened. This is what Schiphol refers to as "100%" flights, coming in from airportis designated as a high-risk area for narcotics smuggling.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:38 am

Bit offtopic, but here goes...

Originally Posted by roelb
There is yet another exception: flights from CUR and other Carribean islands: they deplane onto the top floor but into a special area where /all/ passengers and cabin luggage are screened. This is what Schiphol refers to as "100%" flights, coming in from airports designated as a high-risk area for narcotics smuggling.
I like these 100% checks. When flying on your own, the last "conversation" you had was usually several hours ago (about which meal you wanted from KL) so when you get off the plane, you first get greeted by a nice doggo, followed by a little chat with someone to talk about how awesome your vacation or business trip was. Always nice to talk to a friendly KMAR officer for a little. And then you're on your way to transit security or exit.

Only really sucks if you're sitting towards the back of the 777, as then you'll have 300+ people in front of you doing the same thing 😄
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: DL GM | LH*G
Funny to see someone else also confused about their procedure.

flew from SIN twice since May. First time went thru extra security after landing in AMS in May. But the end of June, we just went out of the boarding gate directly and into the non-Schengen area. (G gate if I recall correctly?)

when I was in the lounge, I got approached by a KLM lady who was doing customer satisfaction survey. I voiced my confusion. Her answer was similar to some of replies here—some original airports are clean/safe, while some are not. But in my case, it might have been a mistake to let PAXs go directly into the boarding area. A wrong door might have been opened…
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Tofuciao

flew from SIN twice since May. First time went thru extra security after landing in AMS in May. But the end of June, we just went out of the boarding gate directly and into the non-Schengen area. (G gate if I recall correctly?)

when I was in the lounge, I got approached by a KLM lady who was doing customer satisfaction survey. I voiced my confusion. Her answer was similar to some of replies here—some original airports are clean/safe, while some are not. But in my case, it might have been a mistake to let PAXs go directly into the boarding area. A wrong door might have been opened…
Occasionaly a mix up happens. But in your case it might also have done with the fact whether your flight was combined with Denpasar or not. DPS is not clean therefore all SIN pax are also contaminated.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A wrong door might have been opened…
I've seen that on more than one occasion. For example, arriving on a Schengen flight at a D-gate, disembarking pax go upstairs to the Schengen level. Yet several times I've walked right past wide-open doors to the lower non-Schengen level. I've had similar experiences with longhaul gates (E, F or G, can't remember).

Johan
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by b12e
"go right for transit" at which point you end up at transit security, eventually ending up on the upper level of the lounge 2 (non-schengen commercial area near the passport control filter to go to schengen) in between D and E gates.
I am confused as to whether transit security and passport control are the same thing, or are they different things? I am flying from the US to JRO, via AMS. I thought I wouldn't have to go through security arriving from a clean country as the US based on some replies. But this reply seems to indicate I do have to go through security. What wording on the signs should I be looking for?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by HelloErin
I am confused as to whether transit security and passport control are the same thing, or are they different things? I am flying from the US to JRO, via AMS. I thought I wouldn't have to go through security arriving from a clean country as the US based on some replies. But this reply seems to indicate I do have to go through security. What wording on the signs should I be looking for?
If you read the quote b12e is replying to, you'll see that's answering a question about coming from a non-secure country, no confusion needed. No security arriving from the US, just immigration if transiting to Schengen/entering NL.
HelloErin and b12e like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Solevita
If you read the quote b12e is replying to, you'll see that's answering a question about coming from a non-secure country, no confusion needed. No security arriving from the US, just immigration if transiting to Schengen/entering NL.
And since, last time I checked, JRO isn't part of Schengen or NL, not even that in their specific case 😄
Solevita likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Mistakes happen. And sometimes it’s not even a mistake that makes things be different one or more times on a route than is generally the case for the transit on the route.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Assuming that USA is still safe origin so I can bring large bottles of duty free purchased post security in USA to connecting flight to Portugal.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Assuming that USA is still safe origin so I can bring large bottles of duty free purchased post security in USA to connecting flight to Portugal.
If still sealed in the transparent plastic bag that the duty free shop placed it in, with the receipt visible, then it should be OK. Otherwise, you may have to check it in or have it confiscated.

EDIT: And yes, the US is one of the (few) countries whose security checks are deemed sufficient by the EU not to require security checks for transferring pax. (It seems that Singapore - which previously was on the list - has been removed. I find that surprising. EDIT: It seems that Singapore lost this status in November 2022)
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 25, 2024 at 2:16 am
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
(It seems that Singapore - which previously was on the list - has been removed. I find that surprising. EDIT: It seems that Singapore lost this status in November 2022)
That's quite curious, on a recent flight from SIN to CDG I didn't have to go through security, it was a P flight (and my first one so I have nothing to compare it to) but entering the lounge we skipped the metal detector/x-ray machine, I assumed it's because SIN is a 'safe' country but...
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
SIN is stil safe, according to Attachment 4-b of the Regulation as currently applicable.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...R1998-20230401

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.