FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

thehyrax Jul 3, 2022 7:45 am

How’s SkyPriority/Privium right now with the lines? I’ve heard rumors of people having both still having to stand in that line outside? Traveling next week Sunday so getting a bit nervous

HadesNL Jul 3, 2022 7:55 am

Protests across the nation

Good luck tomorrow
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/messages/...armers-protest
and
https://nos.nl/artikel/2435119-nieuw...t-weten-we-wel

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...091291f19a.png
Farmers protest

westi2002 Jul 3, 2022 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34392034)
Sneaky sneaky. Not standing next to each other in line would likely make this work. Though, if caught, I don't know what kind of hell they may put you through - I'm guessing KMAR may be involved on the basis of the pax purposively trying to travel with invalid paperwork.

In WAW we went landsite after security in order to try to get rebooked, but when entering the security space the scanners would not let us through. The officer had to reset our BPs. Don't know if this is the case in AMS as well.

nk15 Jul 3, 2022 11:34 am

Originally Posted by tourguide (Post 34392057)
Yes, it is not nice to be separated from a travel companion on the same flight. You can use priority security and your travel companion can not. The nice thing is that when you are reunited after a few hours at the entrance of the lounge, you can guest your travel companion in and enjoy drinks together and hopefully get rid of these 'annoying' feelings.

Yea, except that if you leave your romantic partner in the long line for "a few hours" probably neither your trip nor your relationship will survive, lol...

watewate Jul 3, 2022 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34391042)
Awesome, thank you! Great news for *A elites. Do you happen to know if the *A lounge has re-opened by now (if not now..then when, right?!)? The Aspire lounge is very very crowded at times.

Last I checked was last Tuesday -- it wasn't open. Even Aspire lounge still has limited hours (i.e., closes ahead of evening flights on some days).

Fabo.sk Jul 3, 2022 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by watewate (Post 34393251)
Last I checked was last Tuesday -- it wasn't open. Even Aspire lounge still has limited hours (i.e., closes ahead of evening flights on some days).

Since A26 and *A lounge are next to each other and catered from common kitchen, I would say it's safe to assume it's staffing issues which keeps *A lounge from opening and A26 from running full hours.
I don't expect that to change quickly.

nldogbert Jul 3, 2022 3:26 pm

Actually now passing through AMS about 3x in the last 7 days, i feel more and more that all these issues at the security - it seems to be somewhat an act by the Security company to purposely cause the issues so that they are on the bargaining position side.
I passed last Saturday, in Hall 3 - luckily this time I could manage to access close to the electronic ports and the airport staff allowed Priority passengers to use the Priority lane and go up to security. What I observed was that there was 2 scanner system opened at the Priority line - however I was surprised that out of the 4 positions where one can place your items, they blocked all out except for 1. On the other one, only 3 slots were used. Observing the staff sitting behind the monitor to determine which bags goes secondary or directly ok, it really seems quite strange that
- on both sides, this person was really very very slow, taking about 30 sec or more to make this determination, on one side, it was even worst, it looked like this poor "old" chap was going to fall asleep behind the monitor or was "stoned" behind it. And even taking so long for nearly every bag, nearly every bag on both sides went into secondary.
- from what I observed on why the bags goes into secondary - it was always on minor things , eg. some electronic cables, empty bottles, etc...

Based on how it was previously in Feb/March this year - I had never experienced such situation above, the person sitting was efficient, nearly close to no bags going to secondary - basically they were all working efficiently. So how is it suddenly all these efficient person became inefficient?
At other airports where they do claim this is the case - lack of personal - you do still see the effort taken by the staff to get things moving, but at Schiphol it seems they are taking their own sweet time....

Anyway, just my conspiracy theory behind this.....:D

Cheers!

jerry_greece Jul 3, 2022 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by watewate (Post 34393251)

Indeed, still closed with a sign that pax. on Aegean, TAP, Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian and LOT (I guess only SAS missing) can use the Aspire lounge next door. Aspire also sets a limit to enter the lounge 3 hours before your flight, so keep that in mind. I saw a pax. negotiating whether he can enter the time arrived and leave after 3 hours but the lounge attentant did not accept it. Schedule is odd with Wed-Thu-Fri opening 0530-2100 and other days 0800-1600.

GUWonder Jul 3, 2022 4:25 pm

SAS doesn’t want to pay for contract lounge access, so it would be missing because of that.

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 34393514)
Actually now passing through AMS about 3x in the last 7 days, i feel more and more that all these issues at the security - it seems to be somewhat an act by the Security company to purposely cause the issues so that they are on the bargaining position side.
I passed last Saturday, in Hall 3 - luckily this time I could manage to access close to the electronic ports and the airport staff allowed Priority passengers to use the Priority lane and go up to security. What I observed was that there was 2 scanner system opened at the Priority line - however I was surprised that out of the 4 positions where one can place your items, they blocked all out except for 1. On the other one, only 3 slots were used. Observing the staff sitting behind the monitor to determine which bags goes secondary or directly ok, it really seems quite strange that
- on both sides, this person was really very very slow, taking about 30 sec or more to make this determination, on one side, it was even worst, it looked like this poor "old" chap was going to fall asleep behind the monitor or was "stoned" behind it. And even taking so long for nearly every bag, nearly every bag on both sides went into secondary.
- from what I observed on why the bags goes into secondary - it was always on minor things , eg. some electronic cables, empty bottles, etc...

Based on how it was previously in Feb/March this year - I had never experienced such situation above, the person sitting was efficient, nearly close to no bags going to secondary - basically they were all working efficiently. So how is it suddenly all these efficient person became inefficient?
At other airports where they do claim this is the case - lack of personal - you do still see the effort taken by the staff to get things moving, but at Schiphol it seems they are taking their own sweet time....

Anyway, just my conspiracy theory behind this.....:D

Cheers!

Their ARN equivalents take their sweet old time at times too. Sometimes it felt like they may have wanted to make sure the Fast Track travelers got their lesson in “you’re no better than the rest, and we’re going to show you”. Do they work for the same company as at AMS?

Originally Posted by westi2002 (Post 34392797)
In WAW we went landsite after security in order to try to get rebooked, but when entering the security space the scanners would not let us through. The officer had to reset our BPs. Don't know if this is the case in AMS as well.

After a boarding pass has been self-scanned once at the security checkpoint access gates, it may not get accepted again at ARN and CPH to get through the security checkpoint access gates again. Then when it’s refused, it’s manual intervention required to get cleared to proceed past the security checkpoint access gates. People trying to repeatedly scan a boarding pass probably happens at AMS too. But as the overwhelming amount of my AMS use is via transits that don’t require re-screening at AMS, I don’t end up with as many chances to play the game in person or see how it naturally goes for others. And my willingness to suffer this AMS mess is limited.

Thino Jul 3, 2022 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 34391835)
What about travellers with infants (who cannot possibly have SkyPriority status, except if they're travelling in C)?

my wife and I are Fb Plat, we always take our toddlers through sky priority, never had an issur

TheCam Jul 4, 2022 1:19 am

Originally Posted by manuswiss (Post 34389496)
Thank you for all the updates! I will be flying AMS-ZRH on Swiss on July 10th at 20:00. I have booked business class and I'm hoping to be able to use priority queues.

While I did read many of the posts, it's still not so clear to me if priority queues at security are always available, or if I risk having to stand in line 3 hours with everyone else. Are those priority queues marked somewhere? Are employees actually competent/friendly and do they direct you to the right place when you ask? Or is it pure madness?

Thanks for asking the question manuswiss - I would be grateful for an update when you are airside - We (family of 6) are on the same AMS-ZRH flight also in Biz on the 12th connecting ZRH-SIN / SIN-MEL and anxious to plan the whole thing as carefully as possible. Checking 7 bags will complicate the process but it is what it is!

mfkne Jul 4, 2022 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Thino (Post 34394080)
my wife and I are Fb Plat, we always take our toddlers through sky priority, never had an issur

Neither have I, but it seems the recently tightened the rules, so I wouldn't be surprised if that caused them to now also refused companion infants (or even toddlers, even though they _could_ be SkyTeam Elites).

watewate Jul 4, 2022 1:38 am

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3a0595120.jpeg
4/7 9:30 am. Line outside is longer than usual at this time of the day but inside the terminal is much emptier than usual

HadesNL Jul 4, 2022 2:21 am

Fortunate Schiphol airport was not affected by the protests:
https://nos.nl/liveblog/2435209-anwb...en-naar-wadden

Xandrios Jul 4, 2022 2:22 am

Originally Posted by jerry_greece (Post 34393585)
Indeed, still closed with a sign that pax. on Aegean, TAP, Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian and LOT (I guess only SAS missing) can use the Aspire lounge next door. Aspire also sets a limit to enter the lounge 3 hours before your flight, so keep that in mind. I saw a pax. negotiating whether he can enter the time arrived and leave after 3 hours but the lounge attentant did not accept it. Schedule is odd with Wed-Thu-Fri opening 0530-2100 and other days 0800-1600.

Thanks, thats good to know. I've definitely used the *A lounge in the past for longer than 3 hrs (Self-connecting, arriving from a Skyteam long haul early morning, departing A3 at noon), but I guess things have changed more recently due to the staffing issues. And very weird hours of operation indeed. There are plenty of ~7AM *A departures on a Saturday for example..

Originally Posted by watewate (Post 34394449)
4/7 9:30 am. Line outside is longer than usual at this time of the day but inside the terminal is much emptier than usual

Probably because everyone is still stuck outside in line ;) :p