Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by manuswiss
Thank you for all the updates! I will be flying AMS-ZRH on Swiss on July 10th at 20:00. I have booked business class and I'm hoping to be able to use priority queues.

While I did read many of the posts, it's still not so clear to me if priority queues at security are always available, or if I risk having to stand in line 3 hours with everyone else. Are those priority queues marked somewhere? Are employees actually competent/friendly and do they direct you to the right place when you ask? Or is it pure madness?
The only time when separate priority lines were not respected was at the end of April when all hell broke loose with the strike and then the holidays. At that time the priority access to the top floor was blocked and priority passengers had to do the long line with everyone else until we were up in the first floor, where it was possible to get to priority lines (so we probably saved another hour of cuing).

I travel in and our of AMS about 3-4 times a month and that has not happened again. The entrance at the back of the priority check-in area has been available, and upstairs there are separate priority queues.
manuswiss likes this.

Last edited by AnaTFN; Jul 2, 2022 at 5:26 am Reason: typos
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Daughter and her boyfriend arrived Schipol at 8:35 with carry on only and boarding passes in hand. They were through security exactly three hours later. Passport control only took a few minutes. They said that there was someone checking boarding passes to make sure you were not getting there more than four hours before your flight. IcelandAir is holding its flight right now waiting for passengers. Delta to Boston is also delayed (they are on separate flights) due to waiting on pushback slot and ground control checking for passengers.

Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by odie11
Daughter and her boyfriend arrived Schipol at 8:35 with carry on only and boarding passes in hand. They were through security exactly three hours later. Passport control only took a few minutes. They said that there was someone checking boarding passes to make sure you were not getting there more than four hours before your flight. IcelandAir is holding its flight right now waiting for passengers. Delta to Boston is also delayed (they are on separate flights) due to waiting on pushback slot and ground control checking for passengers.
Did they arrive by car or by train? What class are they flying?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:14 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
I can confirm that there were pax in line with other type of Priority (e.g. Premier with UA), so it is highly likely that this is the entry point for all priority pax. Perhaps that's why the long(er) lines. Privium got the separate entrance there and then same upstairs but then i think there was one line. The check on BPs to enter this access point is visual only. An employee checks your BP (printed or mobile).

[..]

Overall, from train arrival to lounge was 55 min. (0920 to 1015).
Thanks jerry_greece, much appreciated. Very useful info. That line for the priority gates sure does seem long... but if you got through in <1 hr its not that bad. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that today was a busy day according to schiphol. It was not a 'peak day' which we are probably going to be seeing over the next few weeks as the summer holidays are going to be kicking off.

Today was the one single day that hasn't got any 'alarming color' associated to it. What I don't get through, Dutch news is reporting Schiphol having reduced to a max of 67K pax per day for the busiest day's in July (By canceling or moving flights). That doesn't match the numbers in these calendar views. So honestly, it remains unclear and a lot of guesswork.

Thank you for all the updates! I will be flying AMS-ZRH on Swiss on July 10th at 20:00. I have booked business class and I'm hoping to be able to use priority queues.

While I did read many of the posts, it's still not so clear to me if priority queues at security are always available, or if I risk having to stand in line 3 hours with everyone else. Are those priority queues marked somewhere? Are employees actually competent/friendly and do they direct you to the right place when you ask? Or is it pure madness?
I'm flying Swiss (The early morning flight) a few days later, also in business. From the above reports it does seem that we will be able to use the priority checkpoint. I would expect that to be available at times of Skypriority being open (not 24/7 - from 04:30 until the last KLM flight I assume).
manuswiss likes this.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jul 2, 2022 at 7:20 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
AMS is going to have it's own Corona variant soon, named after it, coz it was born there, while waiting in line...
GUWonder, Bogwoppit, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
I travel in and our of AMS about 3-4 times a month and that has not happened again. The entrance at the back of the priority check-in area has been available, and upstairs there are separate priority queues.
Is this entrance only for SkyPriority or all passengers flying business/first?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Did they arrive by car or by train? What class are they flying?
They walked from the Citizen M hotel across the street (I read this morning on twitter that someone arriving this morning by taxi could not get to the terminal and was dropped off to walk the road in). They are flying steerage.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:21 am

Hi there, maybe someone can answer my question.
I will arrive on 08.07. evening with LX (ZRH-AMS on a LX Ticket) an will be flying on 09.07. with BA423 to LHR and then AA21 to DFW and onwards to SAT. (AMS-LHR-DFW-SAT on a BA Ticket) all flights in Business Class.
Because of the actual situation I decided to stay in the transfer Area at Schiphol Airport from 08.07. to 09.07. Cancelled my booking with Hilton AMS Airport Hotel. Is this allowed at all? If my Online Check-In is not working with BA for the Flights to the US can I manage to collect the boarding Passes airside? If yes, where? In the Lounge? I will upload all Documents with Verifly, or BA Website, if working. Last time I uploaded all Documents, but online Check-In was not available. It was a message, that there where missing documents.. But I uploaded them all..
I travel with hand luggage only.
Thank you very much for advice.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
You should try getting a room with Yotel or Mercure in NS airside.

Boarding passes you can probably sort out on transfer counters airside.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:32 am

I am flying YYZ-AMS-JNB in Business class next week with 4h35m connection time at Schipol. should I change the route to YYZ-CDG-JNB with 10h15m connection time? I worry about if 4h35m is sufficient to go through transfer security at Schipol right now, also the potential delay at YYZ.

Last edited by Frederic Wu; Jul 2, 2022 at 11:37 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Michael747
Hi there, maybe someone can answer my question.
I will arrive on 08.07. evening with LX (ZRH-AMS on a LX Ticket) an will be flying on 09.07. with BA423 to LHR and then AA21 to DFW and onwards to SAT. (AMS-LHR-DFW-SAT on a BA Ticket) all flights in Business Class.
Because of the actual situation I decided to stay in the transfer Area at Schiphol Airport from 08.07. to 09.07. Cancelled my booking with Hilton AMS Airport Hotel. Is this allowed at all? If my Online Check-In is not working with BA for the Flights to the US can I manage to collect the boarding Passes airside? If yes, where? In the Lounge? I will upload all Documents with Verifly, or BA Website, if working. Last time I uploaded all Documents, but online Check-In was not available. It was a message, that there where missing documents.. But I uploaded them all..
I travel with hand luggage only.
Thank you very much for advice.
At AMS BA check in closes 60 minutes before departure.

BA no longer has its own lounge and uses the Aspire Lounge. The couple of times I’ve used it this year there have been no BA staff present to assist with queries.

The only airside staff would be at the gate area. BAs usual gates are in the D20 + area I’m not sure if they can complete checkin or do document checks there.

You may want to see if anyone can help you there the evening before.

The 423 is the first BA departure to LHR and gate staff may not even be there an hour before

To be blunt you’ve gone about this the wrong way and cancelled your landside hotel before checking if your plan to remain airside is feasible.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Originally Posted by Frederic Wu
I am flying YYZ-AMS-JNB in Business class next week with 4h35m connection time at Schipol. should I change the route to YYZ-CDG-JNB with 10h15m connection time? I worry about if 4h35m is sufficient to go through transfer security at Schipol right now, also the potential delay at YYZ.
What do you mean with 'transit security'? Have you read the threads about transfering at Schiphol? (And not Schipol)? If you had done a bit of reading, you would have discovered that Canada is not 'unsecure'.
If furthermore, you understand that both YYZ and JNB are non Schengen, than you can conclude that there is nothing between coming off a plane from YYZ and getting on to one to JNB. No transit security and no passport control. Nothing, zilch... So, i have a feeling that 4 hrs and 35 mins will just be enough...
Sorryr OP, but i am just getting a bit annoyed with all those individual questions about the possibility to make a transfer or not. By now, there is plenty of information in this thread and there is another thread going on about transit security at Schiphol. Have a relaxed trip and i hope you won't get bored during your long connection. But hey, you are in business, so you can stay in the lounge
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Frederic Wu
You have a non-Schengen to non Schengen connection -> you will arrive airside at the place where you will leave without a need to clear security nor immigration. So in short, there is not any queue to battle. The only potential disruption you would face if the YYZ-AMS flight is over 4 hours late which seems beyond any realistic scenario. In short - you are safe.
GUWonder and arf04 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tourguide
Sorryr OP, but i am just getting a bit annoyed with all those individual questions about the possibility to make a transfer or not.
How about you/we update the Wiki at the top of this page with answers to the most common questions?
arf04, wrp96 and b12e like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y1)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
How about you/we update the Wiki at the top of this page with answers to the most common questions?
yeah, sounds like a good idea. Also stops all these new threads being created for the same question - "can I make my connection"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.